Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1920s suits

Burma Schave

One of the Regulars
Tomorrow, I'll be posting photos of two of those 1920s studio wardrobe suits in action. In other words, you'll see them being worn by friends of mine. One of the suits is a knockout that I haven't posted here before.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ask your german grandma to translate this and make your own 1922 suit. :-D

1922smnr16001.jpg

1922smnr16002.jpg

1922smnr16003.jpg

I got the draft for 1922 trousers too but don't know if anyone here is working with drafts?

Barmey

One of the Regulars
I would really appreciate the trouser draft :)

I have a German friend (another apprentice tailor) who might like this, and would possibly do me a translation

Thank you

Barmey

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I just noticed that the text also talks A LOT about possible mistakes and the difference between different cutting systems. Confusing for people who are not tailors. Apparently the cuts in the drafts are not really there but should show the need for ironwork (?)

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Tomorrow, I'll be posting photos of two of those 1920s studio wardrobe suits in action. In other words, you'll see them being worn by friends of mine. One of the suits is a knockout that I haven't posted here before.

Splendid. I'll be looking forward to seeing the photos.

Barmey

One of the Regulars
Excellent stuff Flat Foot Floey!

Yeah there's alot of ironwork that goes into a good fitting pair of trousers. Shrinking in some areas, stretching in others. It's a real art (hope to master it one day). It becomes quite apparent in stripped cloth.

I'm currently working on 20s inspired suit for myself at the moment. Its only at the fitting stage at the moment I'll post some photo's later.

Barmey

Qirrel

Practically Family
I just noticed that the text also talks A LOT about possible mistakes and the difference between different cutting systems. Confusing for people who are not tailors. Apparently the cuts in the drafts are not really there but should show the need for ironwork (?)

Indeed. As the text says, the trouser draft presented is meant for experienced tailors. I.e. don't use this for your first pair of trousers unless you are prepared to throw 5 into the bin before managing to make one that fits.

Burma Schave

One of the Regulars
Excellent stuff Flat Foot Floey!

Yeah there's alot of ironwork that goes into a good fitting pair of trousers. Shrinking in some areas, stretching in others. It's a real art (hope to master it one day). It becomes quite apparent in stripped cloth.

I'm currently working on 20s inspired suit for myself at the moment. Its only at the fitting stage at the moment I'll post some photo's later.

Barmey

That's why 'trouser presser' used to be a viable trade. Cary Grant's father was a trouser presser.

CONELRAD

One of the Regulars
Here's a 1920s suit in action:

As you can see, he's got a boater hat there, too.

The picture is from my personal family photo collection, that fellow is apparently named Tinsley Tanner Purdue. I have no idea who he was.

Burma Schave

One of the Regulars
Two vintage 1920s (c. 1926-30?) suits in action. You've seen the first before, but not on a human being.

IMG_2006_zps812bfad6.jpg

IMG_2007_zps67bc7e27.jpg

This next one is a beauty. The best-looking Art Deco weave I've seen on a wool suit of any era. Jacket and waistcoat views:

IMG_2003_zps32784c9b.jpg

IMG_2002_zpsda8fd29c.jpg

IMG_2004_zps6af5f810.jpg

IMG_2005_zpsdc9d7366.jpg

Last edited:

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Two amazing survivors. The fabric of the first suit is a little 'fast' for my tastes, althoughthe jacket is a lovely shape.

What can I say about the fabric on the second suit? It is incredible. Although the wide spacing on the buttons and the very low pockets throws the shape off. Does it still have the trousers? If so what style are they. Also, out of interest, what is the correct colour? On my monitor it appears to be brown in the first couple of pics and then in the close up it has a purple hue (looks grea in either shade, but the hint of purple really gives it character).

Also, do you know the date for these suits?

That appears to be a room full of interesting suits. But, I'm pretty sure none would fit me, so at least I don't have to feel jealous!

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
Although the wide spacing on the buttons and the very low pockets throws the shape off.

the pockets on the first suit are oddly close to the bottom edge too. as i keep saying, the 20s were a transitional period. there were lots of styles available and when you throw in the quirks of individual tailors as well as what was available from stores / catalogues you have an era that's full of surprises to a detail geek like me.

the 30s in comparison sticks incredibly close to classic proportion (it should be called the 'golden section era'), and while i agree with most that the 30s is the most flattering decade it also becomes a little standardised.

Last edited:

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I have just noticed an odd detail on the striped suit. On the first photo, it appears that as the jacket cuts away it goes in a smooth line. Then, where the stripe to the left of the pocket flap reaches the hem, there appears to be a step between the curve and the straight hem. I wondered if this was the result of an alteration.

Burma: did you notice this? Are there any other photos that show this?

Any ideas?

Qirrel

Practically Family
I have just noticed an odd detail on the striped suit. On the first photo, it appears that as the jacket cuts away it goes in a smooth line. Then, where the stripe to the left of the pocket flap reaches the hem, there appears to be a step between the curve and the straight hem. I wondered if this was the result of an alteration.

Burma: did you notice this? Are there any other photos that show this?

Any ideas?

Most likely a result of that being where the topstitching ends, and an unpressed hem which has "rolled".

Burma Schave

One of the Regulars
Two amazing survivors. The fabric of the first suit is a little 'fast' for my tastes, althoughthe jacket is a lovely shape.

What can I say about the fabric on the second suit? It is incredible. Although the wide spacing on the buttons and the very low pockets throws the shape off. Does it still have the trousers? If so what style are they. Also, out of interest, what is the correct colour? On my monitor it appears to be brown in the first couple of pics and then in the close up it has a purple hue (looks grea in either shade, but the hint of purple really gives it character).

Also, do you know the date for these suits?

That appears to be a room full of interesting suits. But, I'm pretty sure none would fit me, so at least I don't have to feel jealous!

My guess is that these two suits are from 1926-1930. The second suit's matching trousers were lost long ago. The second suit is a light brownish tan, not purple. The studio wardrobe collection had about 15+ suits from the 1920s. Most have already been sold off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112