Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1927 Franklin Limousine Travels Around Australia

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
That's pretty damn impressive. Reminds me of that time some guys from Australia tried to recreate the 1907 Peking-to-Paris auto-race...using the original cars.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
They don't mention the fact that the Franklin was an air cooled car. That means it had no radiator. My mom's family had a 1930 Franklin, and my grandfather NEVER tired of pulling into a filling station, and asking the attendant to check the water. Then he'd chortle while the poor guy tried to twist off the hood ornament. Pretty funny, Grandpa.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
Not only did they have an air cooled engine, they had a wooden frame (no kidding). Franklin liked to ask,would you rather break rocks with a steel handle hammer or a wooden handle hammer?

They were famous for their easy handling and shock proof ride, even on rough roads, and the miles they could cover in an hour (not miles per hour). On ordinary roads of the twenties they could cover as much ground, or more, as cars with twice the horsepower and higher top speeds.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points