Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1930s BLACK LEATHER JACKET by AERO/LEVI LVC 2002 - horsehide "Thunderbird"

nightandthecity

Practically Family
OK guys, I'm bumping this thread from 2014 as this same jacket is up for sale again. I've amended the posts to keep it up to date, so prices etc are all current.

Stunning copy of a 1930’s LEVI STRAUSS BLACK LEATHER MOTORCYCLE / UTILITY JACKET by Aero. This is one of a limited number made around 2003 for LVC. Levi marketed this as a “1950s” jacket to appeal to the rockabilly/biker image, but it is actually a copy of a rare 1930s jacket in their archive collection.

Size is “Regular” or “Medium”. It fits me really well and I wear a 38 Regular in an A2 or other period jacket.

Heavy black horsehide with a beautiful plaid wool lining (Grant tartan I think). Sleeve lining and pocket bags are heavy cotton drill in ecru.

These were available in several versions differentiated by the degree of factory distressing. These ranged from a real wreck with cuts, repairs, fraying etc., to this version, which was pre-aged just enough to stop it looking new. Unfortunately, this version was only available with a screen printed “Thunderbird” design to the back which was not only obviously fake, but was also devalued by being plastered all over a much cheaper and nastier high-street fashion jacket. As you've gathered, I didn't like the artwork and removed it with a bit of acetone and elbow grease, and you'd never guess now that it had ever been there. I also cut out the modern Levi care tag to make the jacket look more authentic - it was very large, modern and obtrusive. However, I still have the tag, also the original booklet and shop labels, and these are all included.

Condition is excellent - just some light soiling to the pocket bags and cuff linings. Most of the “wear” is actually the factory distressing.

It measures: chest, armpit to armpit: 21 ½”
Arms, down top edge: 24” (straight) 25” (curved)
Back, from base of collar: 22”
Shoulders, straight across top back: 17”

All measurements taken with garment fastened, laid flat, and with a cloth tape (not metal).

Priced at £250 plus Postage, which will be £19.28 within the UK, £104.65 to Japan, £85.55 to USA, and £73.98 to Germany!! Sorry but once over 2kg postage from the UK goes crazy.

Last edited:

nightandthecity

Practically Family
1.JPG

Last edited:

nightandthecity

Practically Family
1.JPG bumping this old thread because this jacket is again up for sale (details above). Price is £250 plus postage which will be £19.28 within the UK, £104.65 to Japan, £85.55 to USA, and £73.98 to Germany!! Sorry but once over 2kg postage from the UK goes crazy

Last edited:

nightandthecity

Practically Family
How come this hasn't sold yet?! Such an amazing jacket at a stellar price!
I sometimes wonder if I'm fated to keep it! No bites in 2014 on FL or evilbay. It was on ebay just now at £300 with around 40 watchers and several enquiries but again no one bid. Funny thing is, whatever i price it at people keep asking if I'll reduce it. I opiginally wanted £400 for it and everyone was saying "I'd pay £300". So I listed it at £300 and now they are all saying "I'd pay £250". So here it is at £250, lets see what happens!

Should say that at this price I want to avoid Paypal fees, so bank transfer or cash preferred. Though i think you may be able to send Paypal payment categorized as a gift rather than as payment for goods and services, and they don't charge the recipient?

Yeah, insane it's still here. It's a freaking steal and you did good by removing the stupid thing from the back and made it actually wearable.

I'm actually tempted but the postage is killing it for me.

nightandthecity

Practically Family
yep, postage over 2kg is a real drag on selling heavier items from the UK. Funnily enough, it's one thing that ebay's GSP scores on, at higher weights the GSP is - incredibly -usually cheaper, presumably they've negotiated a cheap deal with some guy with a rowing boat

nightandthecity

Practically Family
reply with a private message if you send the money - and include your address . I'm off to beddy-byes now, will check mailbox in the morning :)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana