Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1930s fabric combos

Shirin

A-List Customer
I searched through the posts and couldn't find what I was looking for.
I've seen 30s dresses with either solid color, floral prints, and (rarely) stripes. My question is, would it have been out of the norm to mix these types on one garment. For example, a striped pattern and a solid pattern on one dress (ie:striped bodice w/a solid sleeve and skirt)?

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
P1030368-1.jpg

Did you not see this dress everyone was pining over in the 'Away' thread? :)

Check out this thread too.

LD

Shirin

A-List Customer
I wasn't looking exactly for 30s fashion in general. I was seeing for certain IF early 1930s dress would have mixed patterns on one garment.
This blue dress posted above, is the only one I've seen so far with such diversity in it.
Still, I still have not found another dress with description I'm looking for, except the dress above like I said. But this can't be the only one. The only other things I'm seeing is solids and floral prints, but not stripes and solids combined.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
The only other place I can point you to for the stripe solid combo would be the sears 'everyday fashions of the 30's' book by dover. I don't know if they have an example of it....but they might well and since it was sears....if is in there...people wore it.

Hope this helps!

Shirin

A-List Customer
I saw that in the flicker photos, there was just one dress that had stripes, but alas, no combos. Everything in there was solids and florals.
I'm curious about early 1930s really.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
I would suspect that answering a very specific question like this will just take time.

It's sort of the thing where you have to just keep looking at all the pictures you see...and when you find one..then you know they did it....until then...you cannot possibly know -for sure- whether they did or didn't. Since things like knowing how many outfits survived....what got taken pictures might not be representative of the whole...etc....will always allow for that doubt.

I think most of us have questions like this that it takes -years- to answer...because it takes years to find an example of something. Sadly with vintage there is no one stop categorical reference of things.

Shirin

A-List Customer
thank you for your kind and thoughtful answer Miss Neecerie. You're right, I never really thought it would take much time because many here are so knowledgeable on the subject. But I appreciate you taking the time to reply.

MissAmelina

A-List Customer
I have that book...I will look thru it now.......

Rather, I have the "fashionable clothing from the sears catalogs, mid 1930's" and I find no examples of it. Also just realized you are looking for early 30's examples. whoops.

MissAmelina

A-List Customer
Shirin said:
I wasn't looking exactly for 30s fashion in general. I was seeing for certain IF early 1930s dress would have mixed patterns on one garment.

That is still a question that could be posted in the 30's fashion thread, however. Sub categories are fine within threads, right? Just checking, as I have yet to start a new thread....I have been avoiding doing so, since there are already so many.

Tourbillion

Practically Family
It was fairly popular to mix solids and prints on one dress in the early 30's. Usually they were accents, but sometimes there was more mixing. I have examples of this in fashion drawings.

Stripes are fairly sporty, so they were probably only used on a smaller percentage of dresses--sport dresses. Also, since bias cuts were popular in the early 30's stripes would have really obvious on the bias.

Here is an example of dresses from 1933.

3778111799_3feaf86ac2.jpg

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I'm always mixings solids and prints when making 30s dresses. That's what MAKES it look 30s, to me. Watch any movie from the era and you'll see some amazing combos -- many of which I try to reproduce to my best!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana