Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1930's lot: 3-piece SB suit, overcoat, all dated 1936

birkie

Familiar Face
It looked like it was very close to my size-- until I noticed I was reading the measurements of the overcoat rather than the suit jacket. Oh well. I suppose the suit itself would be considered to be a 36?

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Agreed, but then it rarely ever happens here in Berlin that you walk into a thrift shop and find a really gorgeous 30's suit in immaculate condition (and even less in my size) for a decent price. It really depends on where you happen to live. The USA seem to be a good place fro vintage. Judging by the stuff Sproily comes up with Finland comes to mind as well. Germany is difficult to say the least. Ebay, on the other hand, is of course a completely different matter.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Agreed, but then it rarely ever happens here in Berlin that you walk into a thrift shop and find a really gorgeous 30's suit in immaculate condition (and even less in my size) for a decent price.

I know you know this, but ... those '30s German suits are being exported right now by German rag merchants to developing countries in Africa, the Middle East, former Soviet countries, and Central/South America.

Here's one that I found at a used 'European' clothing store in Santiago, Chile. I brought the suit to the U.S. and sold it on eBay in 2005. As it turns out, a Fedora Lounger called "Slicedbread" won it, and then sold the suit to another Lounger's husband.

See the suit here: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/show...Navy-PS-German&p=270377&viewfull=1#post270377

Mario

I'll Lock Up
I know you know this, but ... those '30s German suits are being exported right now by German rag merchants to developing countries in Africa, the Middle East, former Soviet countries, and Central/South America.

And obviously some film production companies hoarded many old suits. Like this one in Berlin. Some really great stuff. Trouble is they're selling only in lots. I gave them a ring some time ago but no chance.

http://cinetex.de/

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Hey Mario, minimum quantity is 25 pieces. Let's give them a call and get 12/13 suits each. Or we could ask Flo if he's interested, too. Prices seem more than okay. Whaddaya think?

davidraphael

Practically Family
Hey Mario, minimum quantity is 25 pieces. Let's give them a call and get 12/13 suits each. Or we could ask Flo if he's interested, too. Prices seem more than okay. Whaddaya think?

I'm actually going to be in Berlin next week, so it's very likely that I will make an appointment and check this place out. Maybe they will be more inclined to offer smaller lots if you're there in person with cash. We'll see.

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
They would surely be more inclined if there were several of us. Let's meet and go there together. Hopefully Mario is in on this, too. I do hope they have some of the taller sizes.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
They would surely be more inclined if there were several of us. Let's meet and go there together. Hopefully Mario is in on this, too. I do hope they have some of the taller sizes.

Even if they were willing to sell smaller lots the available sizes would be a problem. One should think a company that sells movie props has all sizes in stock but when I called them they told me that the long, slender sizes are rather scare, to say the least...

Cobden

Practically Family
It could be done with a group. Get a few people together, say 25 for ease assuming a 25 piece lot is the minimum, then get 25 suits. If they just do it at random, give everyone a choice of one suit from the batch based on their size, and if their are more in your size which are unclaimed (due to their being no suits in a few peoples sizes, which is likely) you can pay the extra for those suits, with the excess money going into the pot for a second round purchase. Those that no-one wants go on ebay also to fund the next bulk purchase in the hope that the second round will have some sizes for people who missed out in the first round.

Yes certainly. At the prices, I say we should get a bunch of people together and go see these guys with cash in hand. If we can get 12 people committed to buying 2 suits, we can sell what we don't want on eBay.

We should maybe start a thread and get a bunch of people together in Berlin before the end of the year. I'm sure we can rustle up enough people serious about getting good German vintage! Mario, if they have enough 1930s German sports suits in my size I would certainly buy your quota off you!;)

Can someone call and see how much they want for the 30s/40s suits?

Let's get this sorted out, chaps. This kind of opportunity is far too rare to pass up at the apparent prices …

cheers,

bk

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
I'd take whatever they have in my size as long as it's in good wearable condition. If I could get ten suits I'd take ten.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider