Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1930's Wardrobe basics

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Since we have one for 50's and 40's, thought I'd start one for 30's. I think what I like is mid-30s. Does anyone have pictures of fashions for "stout" ladies. I'm having trouble picking patterns that will look good on a curvy figure. Also looking for info on basics, such as typical casual shoes, colored vs flesh colored stockings, ect. Are the undergarments the same as 40s? Thanks!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Check out the vintage Lane Bryant thread. Its chock full of 30s drool worthy fashions.

Miss Josri posted this link a while ago to a late 30s catalog.

I dont have many photos, but I can post pattern images if you like :)

LD

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Lady Day said:
Check out the vintage Lane Bryant thread. Its chock full of 30s drool worthy fashions.

Miss Josri posted this link a while ago to a late 30s catalog.

I dont have many photos, but I can post pattern images if you like :)

LD

OOOOOO, that flickr set is fantastic! Thanks!

P

Paul

Have you looked in Every Day Fashions of the 30's (Sears)
The "All in one Girdle" come in around then if not a little easier, The 30's stocking I have are black or a very dark tan shade more a sort of brown, both rayon and silk were around then . Silk stocking had becoming a lot more sheer than in the 20's.

Mrs. Merl

Practically Family
Come now ladies, the other "Basics" threads took off like wildfire! Anyone, got ideas to add? I will start digging in my history books and post a list or something!

texasgirl

One Too Many
1935 Montgomery Wards Catalog

I've posted these before, but thought they might be better here.

Fabric ideas
fabric1.jpg

fabric2.jpg

Casual
jacketssweaters.jpg

sportwear.jpg

Dresses
wards1935women_Page_02.jpg

wards1935women_Page_01.jpg

Accessories
wards1935women_Page_07.jpg

wards1935women_Page_12.jpg

wards1935women_Page_10.jpg

Miss Sis

One Too Many
I guess I'm finding it hard to formulate an answer since in the 30s, clothes changed alot from year to year! Usually you can date pretty accurately just from seeing an ad or photograph.

Also in the 1930s clothes were very activity specific, much more so than say during the 40s when there was a War to curtail Ladies' fashion! You had cotton morning frocks (wash frocks), Suits both tailored and knitted, Afternoon frocks both formal and informal, Dance frocks (slightly shorter length), Evening frocks as well as all your sports wear - tennis, golf, horse riding etc etc, and separates. Your clothing depended on class and wealth although perhaps this was different in the US as opposed to England.

Certainly your average middle class housewife lady would have a number of, perhaps three, cotton house dresses, a few 'good' afternoon frocks, perhaps one tailormade suit, jumpers (sweaters) and blouses and one or two evening frocks. Shoes, she would probably have an 'ordinary' pair for about the house, a 'good' pair to go with suit and afternoon wear and evening shoes. Then there are all the accessories which it was important to match to your other acessories such as gloves, handbags, hats, belts. Most magazines or books of the era advocate buying a set of accessories in one colour such as black or brown then matching your clothes to them to get the most use out of them.

Sunny

One Too Many
I agree with Miss Sis! :) Fashion changed a great deal, going from almost-classic-"Twenties"-with-a-narrow-belt (i.e. very very straight) to the puffy sleeves and short, full skirts of the early and immediately postwar Forties. And yes, clothes were more activity-specific. While it's not that hard to "cobble together" a Forties look (basic blouse or sweater with A-line skirt, etc.), the Thirties shape is more subtle and distinctive.

One thing I did notice. I've been making a bunch of Thirties skirts lately, and I wondered what sorts of tops were worn with skirts. I got all three of the Fashionable Clothing from the Sears Catalog books for Christmas - early, mid, and late 30s! I went through all three, looking for separates. I was very surprised at how few separates there were: Almost zero in the Early book, with more in the Late book, most in the girls/juniors sections. Moreover, when blouses were shown they were not tucked into the skirts; they were fitted to the hips and held in with belts. (Sweaters, on the other hand, except in the very early years, were very short, fitting exactly at the waist.) But unless the editors left out a lot of separates, it seems that dresses were absolutely the norm for women.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Ive always associated the 30s look from 1933-1938. Before '33, there was still a heavy 20s bent, and by 39, the '40s look' was already born.

But I totally agree with the other ladies, styles of clothes were geared to the activity more so that being versatile for a wide range of wears.

A couple of things Ive found with 30s garb is they loved pleats in skirts and back pleats in blouses. LOVED. :)

I can show some patterns.

Early 30s

jacobanderson-sleeveless8396.jpg
modernpattern4036.jpg
830e_1.jpg

Mid 30s

DuBarry1690B.jpg
HollywoodPattern960.jpg
McCall7217.jpg

Late 30s

Simplicity2955.jpg
4411_1.jpg

LD

Mrs. Merl

Practically Family
Now we're talkin'!! Don't forget that bias was a new idea at this time. I really think that - yes there are huge distinctions from one end of the decade to the other - but I think that you could often boil it down to a somewhat generalized look. I will try to keep this in my mind as I go through books and see if I can come up with what I would consider a quintessential thirties look.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Oh, goodness. There's just so much I'm totally overwhelmed! I agree with Sunny and Miss Sis on the logistics. By the late 30s fashion had pretty much set it's standard for women, but I think the 30s is really where we founded our "traditional" view of the "classics", with the exception of trousers being well received as womens wear (I don't think that really happened until after WWII). It probably wasn't until recently that they've been acceptable for women in the office, for example.
Sportswear really took off in the 30s- it started more in the teens, gained momentum by the 20s, and was in full swing by the mid 30s. Mostly started in College wear and France, it soon became acceptable. Think of saddle shoes and white socks... all started in the 30s. Ribbons in your hair, sweaters with collared shirts, mid calf skirts... the look we tend to think of as 1950s- it all started in the 30s.
Swimwear and beachwear went nuts, too. Newly acceptable suntans brought forth sun suits, super wide leg pants (like palazzos), tank tops, sunglasses, visors.
Knitwear was huge- from sweaters to sets, to dresses, two piece dresses, swimwear, and *gasp*, even t shirts and sweatshirts for casual sportswear.
Lingerie got luxurious. Borrowing on the 20s for it's huge leap in that direction, the 30s brought sensuous tap pant and brassiere sets even lovlier with embroideries and inserted laces- bed jackets, bias cut nightgowns, negligees, teddies. Very pretty things in peaches, greens, and ivories especially.
We still had the structured dress code left over from the last century, but towards the late 30s it started to be more relaxed. There were morning dresses, house dresses, hostess dresses, garden dresses, evening dresses, dancing dresses, sports dresses- a different dress for each occasion and etiquette told you which dress for which event.
There were "types" in dress- a HUGELY popular thing, possibly rocketed in by Max Factor promoting different "types" in makeup. The sporty type, feminine type, etc. I'll have to look up more info- magazine ads of the period have "types" as a common theme.
Asian influence was hugely popular. The "Orient" was seen as hugely exotic and exciting. Dress and makeup often took inspiration from this.
Westerns were HUGELY popular, and had influence on dress. Ranches were popular getaways for the rich and famous (who dressed accordingly in denim and snap front shirts... remember Reno in The Women), as were ski resorts (Sonjia Henie (sp?) helped make ski wear popular) and seaside resorts (for all the sun and swimwear). Cruises were at the height of popularity and you'd need hordes of outfits to be fashionably outfitted.
Women started being a mainstay in the workplace and dresses, suits, and hats appropriate for the office were becoming "new" and "modish" in their own accord. Fashionable but sensible were all the style here, but with the utmost modesty and etiquette, because you couldn't appear to be catching the attention of the men in the workplace, which many women were accused of doing.
There's just so much to share... I'm sure I'll think of more later lol

newtovintage

One of the Regulars
Lady Day, I know you said this pattern is mid 30s, but I recently saw the same pattern for sale on a pattern site and it said it was postwar 40s. Which is so? From the postwar patterns I have seen, it does look kind of like the later 40s. I was just curious.

McCall7217.jpg

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
:eusa_doh: Well, according to this site, its late 40s :) 1948 7062-7453 You are totally right! I was completly fooled by the pleats in the skirt and the sleeves!

Oopsie me.

LD

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
LD, I just went through your What Not to Wear section. What I find interesting is that while many of your "what not to wear" points don't seem to apply to my 50's dresses (because I have a natural 50's hourglass figure), they definitely apply to 30's dresses. I can wear 50's princess seamed dresses, with a crinoline, but look dreadful in an early princess seamed dress. I'll take your tips in mind when looking for 30's dresses. I haven't given up hope just yet. There have to be plus sized, hourglass flattering designs out there.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I say No 3. or No 2 (on the right, like you said). I've made dresses similar to the first one for myself and one for my cousin who is a larger size and they do NOTHING for the figure. Same for the one on the left in the second one.

texasgirl

One Too Many
Here are a few I've been eyeing. I've never tried to sew clothing- I make qulits- but I keep thinking about learning.

My main -problem- is I have to have something for 1934- or earlier. For my reenacting.

I'm pretty curvy like you and here are a few I've saved for ideas. Any thoughts on these?

I think wrap dresses are flattering
1682.jpg

This one has NRA- so 1933-35
1492.jpg

t6895.jpg

t7451.jpg

Amy Jeanne's dress she made- I think it's super cute.
3007-web-pic.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112