Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1936 Apparel Arts Anniversary Issue Images

WH1

Practically Family
All,
I recently purchased a very nice copy of Apparel Arts 5th Anniversary Issue, dated 1936. It contains 348 pages of ads, fascinating articles and some double fold out maps. I am going to attempt to photograph or scan as much of it as possible for inclusion here. I do not currently have access to a scanner so I am going to attempt to do some photography of the most interesting ads and illustrations with my pathetic digital camera. Please be patient and I will attempt to share as much of this amazing book with my fellow loungers as I can.
Todd

WH1

Practically Family
PICT1745.jpg

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I really appreciate the effort on this, but is it possible for you to set your camera on a higher resolution. The size of the photos makes it impossible to read the copy. Check out the 1942 AA I posted - it's all just photographs, taken with the camera set on the highest setting. I had to take 3 or 4 photos of each page by window light, and then select the best one. It was a pain, but it's nice to have a decent digital copy.

WH1

Practically Family
Folks I wish I could do a better job but I am currently overseas and do not have access to a scanner or my good digital camera. Unfortunately they don't fit in a seabag.;) This is the best resolution I can get with the small camera I have with me. I will hold off on sharing anymore if everyone feels the effort would be better done when I do have access to those items. It will unfortunately be several months.[huh]
Regards
Todd

WH1

Practically Family
Marc Chevalier said:
No scans necessary, the photos and resolution are good enough. HOWEVER...they need to be displayed in a LARGER size. Please? I beg you! lol

Thanks so much for these, WHI!!!! You've joined the ranks of 'Fedora Lounge Heroes.'

Does that come with a corner office and a parking spacelol

I am hoping to be able to do a better job with this as the book is amazing. It contains the following articles:
-A multi-fold "Raw Material Map of the World"
-"The Story of Clothing"
-"The Story of Shirts and Collars"
-"The Story of Hat Making"
-"The Story of Shoe Craft"
-"The Story of Neckwear"
-A Multi-fold "Portfolio of Dandies"
-"The Story of Knit Goods"
-"The Story of Pajamas and Robes"
-"The Story of Gloves"
-"The Story of Suspenders, Garters, and Belts"
-"The Story of Specialties and Rainwear"
-A glossary of fabrics
-A glossary of innovations
-An excellent "Current Fashion Section focusing on the coming trends as seen in England
-Extensive section on accessories particulary lighters and dress studs

I will attempt to take better pictures as I go but am dealing with marginal internet and rather primitive conditions currently. But this book is a true treasure trove of images and information.

I am curious what is the normal number of pages in an Apparel Arts issue? This one has 348 pages.

WH1

Practically Family
Yes most of it is advertising but there is an extensive series of articles as I posted before. Not quite as many color plates as I expected but there are some very good ones. Of particular interest to me is the number of ads specifically for pajamas and lounging robes, jackets, etc. Apparently this was the hey day of the lounge robe or "Cocktail Coat". I love that one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider