Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1940's England

poetman

A-List Customer
I particularly enjoy watching films that depict England during the 40's. Being on the other side of the pond, however, limits the amount of British cinema of which I am aware. I would love if you all could share some of the more enjoyable films--modern or old--depicting 1940's England, full of bicycles around Cambridge, tea and tweed, and pubs.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
I particularly enjoy watching films that depict England during the 40's. Being on the other side of the pond, however, limits the amount of British cinema of which I am aware. I would love if you all could share some of the more enjoyable films--modern or old--depicting 1940's England, full of bicycles around Cambridge, tea and tweed, and pubs.

There is a huge list of them on Netflix streaming. Let me do some digging and give you a list. :)

My off-the-top-of-my-head list:

"Mrs. Miniver"

"Enigma"

"Remains of the Day"

"Brideshead Revisited" (the early '80s TV mini-series, most of it is set a bit earlier than the '40s, but I think you will like it)

"Foyle's War" A TV show set in England during the War Years - very much what you are looking for

"The Man Who Never Was"

"Suspicion" Worth it for Cary Grant's clothes alone

"Battle of Britain"

"The Dam Busters"

"Rebecca"

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
Possibly the last of this school of entertainment was Are You Being Served? made in the seventies and early eighties. To me this show has a charm that I can't explain, except that it is a little visit to an England that doesn't exist anymore and probably never did.

Another favorite of mine is Will Hay. He made some very funny movies in the thirties and forties, of the type I hope you are looking for. Several of them are available for free on Youtube.

And of course, you know the Ealing comedies have already been mentioned.

2 great movies to get you started,

Ghost Train (1941) and My Learned Friend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jj0u0jkYWHw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwteNbTPpE0

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
From Time to Time (2009) - Tolly, a 13-year-old teenager staying with his grandmother at the end of World War II, discovers he can travel back in time as a ghost, and helps his ancestors solve a mystery.

Land Girls (2011) - BBC miniseries

Millions Like Us (1943) - British-made - a shy girl finds work at an aircraft factory

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Foyle's War is positively brilliant. Superb all-around.

Also, there is a new ITV series called Home Fires that is currently playing in the UK. It will be on PBS's Masterpiece Theater this fall.

It's a drama series set in a Cheshire village during WWII.

http://www.radiotimes.com/homefires

"Foyle's War," which made both AmateisGal and my list is an example of personality, style and verve overcoming crazy story telling. Maybe I'm just not smart enough (a very strong possibility), but I found I rarely could fully follow the stories in Foyle's war until it was explained at the end, but it didn't matter. The gorgeous vintage style and the period details (architecture, clothes, cars, etc.), the wonderful character development (all of the principal characters grow and change as real-life people do over the course of the show) and the moral values of Foyle (plus his incredibly delivery - nobody takes a venal person apart verbally and quietly better than Foyle does) makes it a fantastic show - even if I only half know what is going on when I'm watching it.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
"Foyle's War," which made both AmateisGal and my list is an example of personality, style and verve overcoming crazy story telling. Maybe I'm just not smart enough (a very strong possibility), but I found I rarely could fully follow the stories in Foyle's war until it was explained at the end, but it didn't matter. The gorgeous vintage style and the period details (architecture, clothes, cars, etc.), the wonderful character development (all of the principal characters grow and change as real-life people do over the course of the show) and the moral values of Foyle (plus his incredibly delivery - nobody takes a venal person apart verbally and quietly better than Foyle does) makes it a fantastic show - even if I only half know what is going on when I'm watching it.

I agree completely. There were times I was wondering how it was all going to work - probably a nod to the brilliant writing of Anthony Horowitz.

AdeeC

Practically Family
I can recommend these films
The stunning Criterion DAVID LEAN DIRECTS NOEL COWARD DVD set. Four excellent films made during the war. Two are in glorious technicolor, All fully restored and look like they were made yesterday but capture the real wartime spirit.
They are
BRIEF ENCOUNTER.
IN WHICH WE SERVE.
THIS HAPPY BREED.
BLITHE SPIRIT.
Another great wartime film from Criterion in technicolor and fully restored is THE LIFE AND DEATH OF COLONEL BLIMP from 1943. Again it looks like it was made yesterday.
For something different is THE 40's UK RADIO STATION on WiFi radio. Presents real war time radio programs including, music, comedy, news, current affairs propaganda and all kinds of war time entertainment.

A great mini series made in the 90's is A DANCE TO THE MUSIC OF TIME based on the Anthony Powell novels about the decadent upper classes. Much of it is set during the war and earlier school and university days of the main characters.

Last edited:

Warden

One Too Many
My father loves 'Hope & Glory', he said it was just how he remembered living as a child in the war.

[video=youtube;32wyLEBf60c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32wyLEBf60c[/video]

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
My father loves 'Hope & Glory', he said it was just how he remembered living as a child in the war.

[video=youtube;32wyLEBf60c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32wyLEBf60c[/video]

Oh! How could we forget this one??? I love this movie, too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points