Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1940s style bedroom?

1930artdeco

Practically Family
Depending on the size of the room you will need the following:

Period wall paper (do a search it is out there)
a oak desk
a waterfall/deco style bed
a deco styled single bulb desk lamp.

Check out old B&W movies ('the best years of our lives' is good one)

Mike

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Waterfall furniture, even a complete bedroom suite, is pretty inexpensive these days. For between three and five hundred dollars you should be able to get a bed, dresser, chest and vanity, http://youtu.be/zp-Jw-5Kx8khitch can double as a desk if needed. Those are retail prices. At wholesale, auctions or house sales, this stuff is nearly impossible to sell. Wallpaper is a good bet. If you are seriou, PM me. I have a source for old stock, though it is stuff which was high-end in tis day, not the mass market product. Today, as left-over stock it is pretty inexpensive.

Now, most REAL 1940's bedrooms were a mixture of left-over furniture from between the 1880's and the 30's. The older stuff would have often had the gew-gaws uncerimoniously sawed off,and odd pieces painted to match one another. A pale salmon pink or soft teal paint on the walls might not be out of order. The window treatments would often have been wide metal Venetian blinds or simple off-white roller shades, covered with fluffy Ruffles Priscilla curtains, drawn back. Any old small table could be converted to a vanity, dressing table, or desk by making a skirt of matching ruffled fabric. Tulle or net would be most apropos.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Another thing worth getting is a "hope chest." The idea is that young women would use this to store up things for their future homes, but no matter what you put in it it's very useful for storing sheets, blankets, and other bedding. I'm long past the age of having "hope," but my hope chest is still very much in use. A good Lane cedar-lined chest will cost you less than fifty dollars anywhere, and is something you can use for the rest of your life.

ingineer

One Too Many
I second LizzieMaine's suggestion of the Hope chest, though it really is usually too large for a small bedroom and belongs in the sewing room. Very useful for all the guest linens and blankets. But consider an amoire, very practical and was an essential piece of furniture when houses had very small closets.
Though mine is wardrobe style from the 40's , there are new ones that can hide all the modern stuff like a television

Last edited:

St. Louis

Practically Family
I have a pretty good collection of 1930s and 40s magazines. I'd say every ad or article for bedroom designs, particularly for women, shows a dressing table. If you can buy a suite, that's great; but even if you have a tiny room and can't afford anything fancy, you can still create a little dressing table by sewing a skirt for a corner shelf (something I've seen in lots of period magazines.) The dressing table would ideally have a copule of small lamps, a comb-and-brush set, maybe a perfume bottle or two, and a vase for flowers.

philosophygirl78

A-List Customer
You might want to look into Hollywood Swank... I love the 1940's... I have bought and sold real estate for over 15 years in South Florida and have seen some breathtaking homes... Another nice era you might enjoy is the 1920's, mostly known for Flappers and Gangsters lol.. Here is a link to some swanky ideas for your room redecor.. http://www.homeinpiration.co/old-hollywood-home-decor/5/hollywood-swank-bedroom-set/ good luck! *philosophygirl

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider