Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1940s wardrobe essentials

Sunny

One Too Many
Golly, how does that work with a girdle? I'm trying to grasp the layers and I'm getting confused.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I have a feeling those actually fit a lot looser than it appears in the picture -- I have a knit slip from the same period which fits very loose, and I believe it's the same sort of fabric used here. It tends to stretch out quite a bit once you've got it on. So it would be possible to wear a short open girdle underneath -- the look would be a bit lumpier than it appears here, but it'd work.

There were also versions of these suits that had a lower crotch and flared legs -- looking very much like a utilitarian flannel teddy -- and these would have worked even better with a girdle underneath.

Mrs. Merl

Practically Family
I would think, too, that if it were cold enough to wear a mini union suit they may very well have worn long sock type leg covers and would have possibly skipped the (sorry edit) - girdle.

exquisitebones

A-List Customer
Inky said:
There is a knitted pattern for some "french knickers" that would do the trick, then you could make a knitted cami for the top part. It would be pretty easy to knit them together if you wanted a one-piece garment.

http://vintagestitchorama.blogspot.com/2007/06/french-knickers-1940s.html

http://www.vam.ac.uk/images/image/13093-popup.html (a 1940's era cami top, with underpants)
:eek:fftopic:
that first webite is amazing, there are some great sweaters I want to make on there, check this one:
dartmoor.jpg
its form teh 30s though. still neat!

ok, back to 40s essentials

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
More Photos!!

Here are some wardrobe staples from Sears, Roebuck & CO. fall and winter ©1940-41

These are what most gals of working class would wear. Ive put up some winter stuff and dresses first, and Ill try to scan some more soon.

suit1.jpg
coat2.jpg

coat1.jpg
coat.jpg

coldplayclothes.jpg
coldplayclothes1.jpg

LD

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Excellent post, LD. These styles are precisely the "missing link" between the fashions of the late '30s and the more spare wartime styles. A lot of these basic designs would continue right thru the war era, except with less-voluminous skirts, and fewer poofs and gathers.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Thanks Ladies. :) You really notice the skirts slimming down and those skirt pleats go away in a couple of years. The suits are what I love the most. MMMm look at those lapels :)

Take special note at the style changes for the ages. Young girls have more of an advancing style, while the older and larger ladies are a few years behind.

Ill post some more later on. I want to get to undergarments and such.

LD

exquisitebones

A-List Customer
those sears scan are amazing...
doesnt it make you wish you could call an order some of those ;)
at those prices even !
thanks again LD, these are very helpful

StaceFace

One of the Regulars
Thanks for all of the scans, LD! I'm with exquisitebones on wanting to order something! From your experience, how difficult would it be to sew something, like one of those suits, just by taking body measurements and going off of a picture?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points