Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1940s wardrobe essentials

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Tons-o-photos!

These are from my Sears spring summer '43 catalog. War time fashions!
If you read some of the descriptions, youll catch some talk about rationing.

1.jpg
12.jpg

13.jpg
14.jpg

15.jpg
16.jpg

17.jpg
18.jpg

19.jpg
110.jpg

LD

hotrod_elf

A-List Customer
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
I'm most obsessed with the overalls (one lady has nothing under them!) and the shoes of course. THANKS LD!

I'm all about that one too. I think I might be able to alter a dress pattern I have that in very similar.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Glad you like the scans, Ladies :)
Im particularly fond of the slacks styles myself.
But I was fascinated by the pinafore and overalls pictures too. Those looks are SO early 40s!
The shoes, which I lust for anyway, I dont know, left me a little blah. I guess I was expecting more magic.

LD

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Lady Day said:
The shoes, which I lust for anyway, I dont know, left me a little blah. I guess I was expecting more magic.

LD

It's the rationing again -- shoe designs were comparatively plain during the war because there weren't really the raw materials available to do anything too fanciful. Most of the designs that people think of today when they think of outlandishly glamorous forties shoes come out of the postwar New Look era, which wanted to get as far away as it could from the whole austerity thing.

Wonderful scans, LD. The wartime catalogues are much harder to find than the pre or postwar versions, so this is a great one to have!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk