Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1940s wardrobe essentials

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
a couple of my real life examples of 40s figure in clothes

I am assuming I have an hourglass figure (?), my measurements recently were 42-32-40, now with a bit of stress weight, they are 43-33-42. Here are some pics of my forties vintage. I'm pretty busty even in my 40s quasi pointy shape bra, Playtex comfort strap 18 hr bra, a size 36DD. I have fairly flat hips

First in Vintage Inspired clothes with all the 40s style foundations underneath:
368614967.jpg
V-I 30s style, modern Ralph Lauren with more low and rounded silouette bra:
368584659.jpg
forties vintage top, thirties men's tuxedo trousers:
361643633.jpg
forties jacket, V-I RL true natural waist trousers:
363276926.jpg

1940s dress, with modern belt added-the belt was "recolorized" to show what it would really look like if the belt was still there (the original belt looks are so I can put the belt as high as it was then. This dress is too long for me, so I'll be having it shortened and a belt made from the cut off piece:
364346693.jpg
same dress sans belt. I particularily like this pic as its a good example of how wearing the right vintage style foundations really make the clothing look "true to period" when worn:
364650276.jpg

and a couple more, all vintage 40s:
371474621.jpg

365333803.jpg
shoulder pads are munched on this 40s blouse and need a bit of reworking
372674064.jpg

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
The blue dress is probably of a stiffer linen-like or rayon blend fabric. The circle trim may even be of rayon grosgrain ribbon ruched. I have a late 30s hat with a similar trim. This style would look very sweet on our 15yo daughter who has a very lithe figure. She is 5'5" and about 90 some-odd pounds. She's barely a 32" bust, has a 24" waist with 32 or 33" hips. She can do boxy or have lots of 3-dimensional design trim on her vintage clothes.

Miss Sis said:
Exactly! The bigger shoulder pads give definition and make the figure more houglass-like. Meaning the shapes suit an hourglass figure AND those who wish to have a *more* hourglass-shape too.

I agree about the boxy-ness of the blue dress, but that's just one style, exaggerated by the huge pockets in a strange place and buttoning right up to the neck. The shape of the other dress would be much more flattering on most figures.

Hana

New in Town
My normal get-up when dressing vintage style is just a simple day dress. Tesco had some last year so I stocked up. My favourite is a black polka dot one. I have a curvy figure so I can't get away with the bigger patterns that were shown in LD's scans.
The dresses look very period when worn with vintage-inspired shoes and a cardigan, I prefer to wear them in odd, statement colours, like mustard yellow. :p

Lindabelle

One of the Regulars
chanteuseCarey said:
I am assuming I have an hourglass figure (?), my measurements recently were 42-32-40, now with a bit of stress weight, they are 43-33-42. Here are some pics of my forties vintage. I'm pretty busty even in my 40s quasi pointy shape bra, Playtex comfort strap 18 hr bra, a size 36DD. I have fairly flat hips

First in Vintage Inspired clothes with all the 40s style foundations underneath:
368614967.jpg

and a couple more, all vintage 40s:
371474621.jpg

365333803.jpg

I think you look lovely especially in these outfits. It definately makes a difference with the proper undergarments. It made me want to buy the right undergarments. I love your hourglass figure! :)

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I got my fall 1942-43 Sears catalog in the mail. Here are some scans. You can totally see some 30s elements still, but the fade to clean lined because of the war, and the new 40s look. Because cold weather is coming, I focused on winter wear, coats and such. Ill try and scan more in soon.

*this batch of images is pretty large so you can read the descriptions* sorry to people with small screens.

cover.jpg
page.jpg

page2.jpg
page3.jpg

page4.jpg
page5.jpg

page6.jpg
page7.jpg

page1.jpg
page8.jpg

LD

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Thanks for posting these! This is, I think, my favorite Sears catalog of all time -- especially the air raid warden gal on the cover. There's no reason you can't be perfectly stylish while yelling "PUT THAT LIGHT OUT!"

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I think this is one of my favorites too. I like the challenge of working with restrictions, and seeing how far you can push that. You gotta give them credit on that front as far as fashion.

page36.jpg
page37.jpg

page38.jpg
page41.jpg

page39.jpg
page40.jpg

page41.jpg
page42.jpg

page43.jpg
page44.jpg

LD

Forum statistics