Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1950s Teenage Girl Etiquette in 2014

Stray Cat

My Mail is Forwarded Here
All is said in a single quote:
''In order to be a success in the world, you have to be pretty as well as look pretty. How do you get to be pretty? By having a pleasant personality. You must be affable, considerate, generous, open hearted and polite.''
Thank you for sharing this. :thumb:

TheSacredFemme

One of the Regulars
May have gone ahead and ordered the re-printed edition on amazon! Perhaps I'm not a teenager anymore but god knows I may need help in the likeability section ;)

Gingerella72

A-List Customer
I don't think insecurity and feeling like you don't fit in anywhere belongs exclusively to teens.....this kind of advice is good for people of all ages. Definitely putting these two books on my list. :)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The Boys From Marketing have built modern society on the idea of manufactured insecurity and fear of not-fitting-in, all the way from the cradle to the grave, the better to sell you merchandise, status, and when those fail, chemical anodynes. Practically all the pressures and neuroses that threaten to crush people today can be traced to this root.

If they can get you as a teenager, they've got you for the rest of your life -- unless, like this gal, you can find a way to subvert it all. More power to her -- but here's also hoping the Boys don't manage to turn her into a product herself. As soon as Maya becomes "cool," as soon as kids start doing this stuff "because it's all in Maya's book," they'll be no better off than they were when they started. It'll be a fad, not a solution. I hope that doesn't happen.

Last edited:

TimeWarpWife

One of the Regulars
I know the cure for overcoming insecurity and dealing with the woes of not fitting in...it's turning 50 or being born French! At 50 I realized I no longer care what other people think of me or whether they like me or not. I also stopped caring about trying to look like and be like someone I'm not - a forever-young-looking size 2 supermodel. It's just NOT going to happen and I'm okay with it. :D I used to try to be all things to all people and it never worked because someone is always not going to like you and someone else is always going to be better looking, younger looking, or just better in general at something than you. These are all facts of life that the French teach their children in the formative years, thus most French teenage girls - and even French women - don't have the hang ups about their bodies, their looks, and the need to be loved by and please everyone like most Americans and women living in western countries do. One book that did change the way I look at lots of things in life is Debra Ollivier's Entre Nous - A Woman's Guide to Finding Her Inner French Girl. I know French women, French people in general, come across as snooty and aloof, but it's really because they're just not interested in other people's lives, but instead are focused on their own lives and making themselves more like themselves. Meaning, they don't try to change themselves into being like anyone else, they want to make improvements on who they already are. When someone French acts like they don't care what you think of them, it's because they really don't care what you think of them. One of the most liberating lessons I've learned in life is to not care what anyone else thinks of you. Finally, I can just be myself.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk