Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

30's make-up for King Kong

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender
This was talked about in the Motion Picture forum but I thought I would share this with you ladies. I was disapointed with the make up in Peter Jackson's King Kong, especially for Naomi Watts as Ann Darrow. She looked too modern. Here is what I felt would have been a better 30's look:

Watts.jpg

Her hair was funky too....but that is another story.;)

Enjoy!

Naama

Practically Family
Wow, she really looks much better with "your" make up. Even though I didn't saw King Kong, but I also think her eyebrows need a bit tweezing..... I mean, for a 30's style.

Naama

magneto

Practically Family
Agreed about the "makeup improvements", MK! My goodness, Watts' hair and makeup styling are that not-good (i.e. nonexistent) in the film? And that poor hat and mussed hair... had Kong just stomped on her head?!

fibi

New in Town
I'm surprised the makeup isn't spot-on, after all Peter Jackson was pendantic in the extreme in staging the Lord of the Rings. Strange not to get something as simple as make-up right.

swinggal

One Too Many
Authentic makeup in mrs henderson Presents

If you want to see great makeup, hair and costume go and see 'Mrs Henderson Presents'. I've put a thread up about it in the Moving Picture section.

I dont know why - but the English have always got it right in this area. I was drooling at the hair and clothing.

ITG

Call Me a Cab
fibi said:
I'm surprised the makeup isn't spot-on, after all Peter Jackson was pendantic in the extreme in staging the Lord of the Rings. Strange not to get something as simple as make-up right.
Yes, but those are 2 different movies...Lord of the Rings is set in an imaginary time/land, which allows more leeway for using the imagination for makeup and costumes. King Kong has a Golden Era setting, so that the costumes and makeup should be more historically accurate.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Look at it this way. She couldn't even afford to buy an apple with no mony in pocket, how could she afford makeup? So it stands to reason that the desheveled hair and lack of makeup would fit the time. I think Jackson got that detail right. Look at the candid no-portrate photographs of people durring the Depression, they may have dresses well enough but the makeup wasn't always there. Those that could afford it did wear it, but those that couldn't wore it sparingly and on special occasions. They even got it right in Cinderella Man. As they showed it, Braddocks wife didn't always wear makeup unless she was going to one of his fights, a press conference or a fancy dinner. Those were special occasions. So Naomie Watts with the minimal makeup makes perfect sence. Not everyone was glamerous all of the time, even the actors and actresses of the time had off days & nights.
But hey, that's just my two cents.

Cheers!

Dan

Pen Collector

One of the Regulars
I totally agree with DanielJones...

I was thinking the same thing. She couldn't even afford an apple. They hadn't been paid for their perfomances so it is very likely that she didn't have money for makeup at that particular time. Now if someone has a picture of her after their return to New York we can see how she was made up then. By then she should have had money to buy makeup.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I agree and disagree. There were manuals for making cosmetics at home, and it doesn't take much practice to get a decent set to your hair at home.

What's going on with that awful hat!? Sheesh. Did someone visit the 60's section at Western Costume?

MK, your version looks WAY better.

I still haven't seen Kong, but I'll let you know when I do!

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender

She couldn't afford a hat either but she is wearing one....and she was wearing make-up the day before....but that's ok guys. I don't have that much personal investment in this point. I chose this picture even though it is from that scene because it was the best lighting of those I had to chose from.

The main point I was trying to make, is that her character never has a proper period make-up....not even when she is on camera or being a show girl.....and she IS supposed to look like she is wearing make-up in those scenes.

But what do I know?

Agreed on the make from Cinderella Man. Top notch.

shamus

Suspended
Didn't Peter Jackson have crazy hair and wear a tuxedo with a un-tucked wrinkled shirt and no shoes or something like that to the oscars?

I don't think he really cares about Naomi's make up or hat. I think all he really cared about is Kong and how Kong looked.

colleency

One of the Regulars
Since she was a stage performer, you would think it even more important that she wear makeup. There is a possibility that Naomi Watts refused to pluck her eyebrows. Isn't it true that they don't always grow back?

Pen Collector

One of the Regulars
Wouldn't it be great if....

we could all send in our questions to Peter Jackson regarding why this and why that? Then when the DVD came out they could list answers to all of our questions. Don't they usually have an extra DVD that explains how the movie was made? Then they could explain...the reason we decided to use that dreadful hat was.... and Naomi had it in her contract that we could not pluck her eyebrows. And.....etc, etc.

whistlebait

One of the Regulars
That would be swell, Gabe.

I certainly understand both sides but imagine that the ape was more of a priority for Mr Jackson. Besides, that's what most people who go to the theatre are interested in. Oh well.

katiemakeup

Practically Family
In the current issue of makeup Artist Magazine, there is a great article on (artist) Rick Baker & the image of the movie. If I recall correctly, he felt it was important for her charcter to show the somberness/struggle of the times and the softness of her character- wanting to use muted tones as opposed to dark. I'm all for that, but I agree with MK~ I'd love to see real period makeup in the movie! If anyone is into makeup, I highly recommend that issue specifically for the article. A small blurb is located here:

http://www.makeupmag.com/thisissue.htm

PrettyBigGuy

A-List Customer
katiemakeup said:
In the current issue of makeup Artist Magazine, there is a great article on (artist) Rick Baker & the image of the movie. If I recall correctly, he felt it was important for her charcter to show the somberness/struggle of the times and the softness of her character- wanting to use muted tones as opposed to dark. I'm all for that, but I agree with MK~ I'd love to see real period makeup in the movie! If anyone is into makeup, I highly recommend that issue specifically for the article. A small blurb is located here:

http://www.makeupmag.com/thisissue.htm

Make Up Artist Magazine! Uggh, who reads that magazine! Yeesh!:rolleyes: I certain that MK wouldn't!

BTW, Katiemake-up, I'm making fun of MK, not you!;) Thanks for the link.
PBG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leatherpatch