Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

$8.99 Montecristi. With Pictures

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
I was sitting at school, casually scanning the paper when my phone rang. It's my stepfather, and he's in an antiques store in Kentucky. His only words are "Nathan, this store has a montecristi for $8.99" BZZZZT! Phone goes dead.

I bolted from the building and sprinted to our car and its power plug. Call him back, and find out it's a Montecristi from a place called The Palmer House in Chicago, according to its leather sweatband. It's old, and yellowed some, but in brand new condition. Unfortunately it's a size 7, and too small for me, but it may fit my wife well.

$8.99

103_0362-vi.jpg

103_0364-vi.jpg

103_0365-vi.jpg

103_0367-vi.jpg

103_0368-vi.jpg

103_0369-vi.jpg

This logo says "Boynton's", and underneath that, it says "Palmer House, Chicago

103_0370-vi.jpg

103_0371-vi.jpg

103_0372-vi.jpg

PrettyBigGuy

A-List Customer
FYI,
The Palmer House is a 5 star hotel in downtown Chicago. They must have had a shop that sold hats @ one time. Or maybe it's a completely different Palmer House. Interesting.
PBG

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
Okay, what do you guys that have Montecristis think of this one?

I agree, the block is kind of weird looking, but it's vintage.

It's going to Optimo on Friday to be cleaned and graded.

Michael Mallory

One of the Regulars
I have a Montecristi that is in the $800 range (though I got it for $250), and judging from the pictures, yours appears roughly of that grade. It looks like a real gem. It also looks like it has never been blocked and is still in the original hat body shape (though it might have once been blocked in a flat optimo-shape -- it's hard to tell). If it is a bit brittle from age, put it in the bathroom the next time you take a shower and the steam will soften it a bit.

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
Probably a standard optimo-style with the crease from the front to back like it already has.

I'm probably going to have to sell it, because it doesn't fit me, or my wife.

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
As much as 5/8? It's a 7, and I am a 7 5/8.

It is a little bit brittle feeling. I think this is because of how old it is.

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
Resizing

That size jump shouldn't cause a problem...again, depending on the suppleness. Believe it or not a standard body can go from about 54 to 62...63 and 64 are special requests.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto