Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A-1 Jacket / A1 Flying Jacket - The ultimate Golden Era flying accessory!

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Now this one looks rad.

I think I found a jacket that I am going to save up for if the leather is still around when I am ready to buy.

Really pricey considering it is in Pounds, though I love the thought of having a 20's style jacket. It just looks rad.

A-1 with a wool collar.

CapeSheepA1.JPG

http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/...age=displayproduct&subcatid=41&prodid=CapeA-1

Last edited by a moderator:

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
What I like about the Aero version is the collar and the high pockets. I have a friend with an original which he had on display once at a 40's dance (Satin Ballroom) and from what I recall it had that long pointed collar and the high pockets (I could be wrong).

The real reason I like it is because it is just so old school and pre-WWII. No zippers.

I admit too that I am caught up in the gimmick of it being Cape skin leather... original specifications and all makes me think it's closer to what they had back in the 20's. I like that.

B

Batou

A-1 jacket?

Hi all,

I've decided to get an A-1 jacket, and am looking at the Eastman and the Lost Worlds (leaning toward the latter). Anyone have experience with either? TIA!

MikeyB17

One of the Regulars
Worth looking at Aero too-they are currently doing an A-1 in Cape sheep leather, as per originals. Nobody else is doing that at present as far as I know. They're still doing free shipping to the US for orders over £200 too.

Cienfuegos

New in Town
A-1!!! Beautiful Jacket. I am interested in this one for some time.
Of LOST WORLD I do not have any article, therefore he might not advise you. Nevertheless I possess two Eastman, concretely A 2 standard of them in Horsehide and it is an excellent reproduction, also I have Hartman Luftwaffe that is the one that more it is usual for me to use to mount in motorcycle and this one is impressive.
The inconvenient only one of Eastman can be the price, but I would recommend these jackets.:)

RegardsLOL

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Matt- keep your eyes peeled on Aero's "sale" page- always something there in a vintage style. And remember, these are quality jackets, made from quality hides, not your average "antique lambskin" offering- a good leather costs of course and is a primo item of clothing.
What size do you take in a jacket???
-BT.

ShanghaiJack

One of the Regulars
Eastman A-1

Gents,
I own one of the first Eastman A-1 Summer flying jackets. The hide weight, colour, lining and knit is amazing! I've handled an original, and Eastman's is very good, and quite accurate. The only exception is that the hide is Aniline Steerhide, and not capeskin. [depending on ones research, steerhide was used on later A-1s and is accurate in this reproduction] But one of the most wonderful qualities about this jacket is that it ages [distresses] quickly, naturally. I wore mine for one month solid, in various weather conditions, and it literally aged before my eyes. GORGEOUS!
Tails Up!
ShanghaiJack

shamus

Suspended
As to sizing from Aero...

In their regular jackets.. ie: Highwayman, Half-belt. Go with your size. If you need longer arms... ask them.

As to A2's. They run one size smaller. I wear a 44, I order a 46. It fits great.

I would assume the A1's fit the same.

Also check their sale page. You might get lucky.

MikeyB17

One of the Regulars
I have to say that all my Aeros (A-2, B-3 and Highwayman) are spot on to ticket size-I'm I have a 42" chest, my jackets are all 42s and fit perfectly. My advice would be contact Aero with your measurements, they will sort you out.

MB17

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points