Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A-1 Jacket / A1 Flying Jacket - The ultimate Golden Era flying accessory!

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Some of the correspondence to the leather evaluated for the A-1 is reproduced in Gary Eastman's A-2 Handbook, where mention is made of capeskin if I recall.

The period photos of A-1 jackets do not have the characteristic pebbled graining of goat, but they do resemble (in grain and heft) the capeskin jackets posted on here in relation to civilian flight jackets produced in the 1940s by McGregor Sportswear.

Jim B.

New in Town
The goatskin that is used to make capeskin is a particular breed and has a very fine grain. I found many pics online of capeskin jackets from the 30's on those vintage blogs that have close-up macro pics of detail and the grain looks just like goat but in miniature. The sheep grain looks similar but it is different.
I am just curious, I am not implying that the sheep is inferior. I just wonder when the definition of capeskin started to include the hairsheep. Maybe the goat capeskin is scarce now?

Last edited:

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I didn't think you were saying it was inferior. Although goat is much tougher. :D

I think the point is that A1's were made of sheepskin even if goat was specified. Sheepskin isn't as strong which is why there are so few surviving A1's out there.

The question is why did they end up being made of sheepskin - were there significant changes to the capeskin manufacturing business, for instance? And was the sheep eventually used actually from South Africa?

My understanding is that A1's were originally olive in colour but I'm not sure how many of those survived.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
I don't know if these are A-1 jackets or antecedents, but I'm sure the photo will be interesting.

three_flying_fish_f6c_04.jpg

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
For your consideration:

Flying Fleet (1929)
ouwrgh.png

Viewing this film, I get the impression that these jackets were soft like wearing a sweater.
The grain of the leather is mostly smooth & although it’s in B&W, the leather color varies
from dark to tan, perhaps olive.

2djcfty.png

3010kg5.png

110ejvk.png

2jesrcp.png

I took these shots from the monitor so the quality is not that great,
but thought it was interesting nevertheless.

Last edited:

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
I don't know if these are A-1 jackets or antecedents, but I'm sure the photo will be interesting.

three_flying_fish_f6c_04.jpg

They seem be the USN 37J1 jackets which came before the A1. Even so there is some variation with the one on the left having pockets set inside the shell rather than patch pockets.

I expect that many pilots bought or had their own jackets made and as long as they were pretty similar it was allowed.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
They seem be the USN 37J1 jackets which came before the A1. Even so there is some variation with the one on the left having pockets set inside the shell rather than patch pockets.

I expect that many pilots bought or had their own jackets made and as long as they were pretty similar it was allowed.

2gy134h.png

I did a blow up of the photo on the left & it appears this chap has tucked
the flaps in or perhaps had them removed.
Note the center button .

This is just my 2¢ & in no way can say that what I presented is correct.
Just saying .

Last edited:

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
2gy134h.png

I did a blow up of the photo on the left & it appears this chap has tucked
the flaps in or perhaps had them removed.
Note the center button .

This is just my 2¢ & in no way can say that what I presented is correct.
Just saying .

Yes, I assumed the flap was tucked in. But his isn’t a patch, or cargo pocket. It’s inside not outside the jacket shell. Some jackets in the other pictures look like they might be the same. So they might be earlier jackets, or maybe they are private purchase as I surmised before?

TPD166

One Too Many
I came across something in a different thread, but thought it would be more appropriate to mention here in the A-1 thread. Today I was viewing some A-2 photos from a link on a different jacket thread (http://www.goodwearleather.com/photos/vintage_photos) and one of the jackets in a crew photo caught my eye - I put on my glasses and enlarged it as big as I could get it and I am still not sure, but it sure looks like the second guy from the right is wearing a jacket with buttons??

I would have guessed an A-1, but that looks like a leather collar (although I recently saw a 1929 photo of Carl Spaatz wearing an A-1 with what appeared to be a leather collar). Here is the Spaatz photo.

TPD166

One Too Many
I recently purchased one of the much-maligned Landings Leather A-1 jackets. While I would not consider it a top-end jacket (it’s not even at the top end of my closet), it’s not a bad jacket and has become one of my favorites.

The leather is very soft and comfortable and it fits me better than any of my other leather jackets. What I did not like was the buttons – plain, brown, cheap plastic, and almost too big for button holes. I just had my tailor replace all of the buttons with smaller horn buttons and it made a big difference (at least for me). Not only do I like the new look, but it comes on and off much quicker not having to fight the original bigger buttons.

For $129 (plus a few dollars for new buttons), this jacket is hard to beat to knock around in every day. I will probably move on to higher quality A-1 in the future, but this is a pretty good placeholder for now.

Old button comparison.

TPD166

One Too Many
I will be stalking for the DHL delivery driver in a couple of days - I was notified that my new jacket has been shipped. I had Pop's Leather make me one of their A-1 jackets, with some modifications. I asked for snaps at the bottom instead of buttons and a matching knit 37J1 style collar (Pop's A-1 has a leather collar). I have seen their jackets before and know the quality will be top-notch, but I am nervous about the modifications and sizing made from my measurements.

http://www.popsleather.com/prod_v2.php3?prod=49

TPD166

One Too Many
Mine arrived a day early last week:

http://thefedoralounge.com/threads/new-a-1-37j1-jacket-from-pops-leather.85428/#post-2058965

I will be stalking for the DHL delivery driver in a couple of days - I was notified that my new jacket has been shipped. I had Pop's Leather make me one of their A-1 jackets, with some modifications. I asked for snaps at the bottom instead of buttons and a matching knit 37J1 style collar (Pop's A-1 has a leather collar). I have seen their jackets before and know the quality will be top-notch, but I am nervous about the modifications and sizing made from my measurements.

http://www.popsleather.com/prod_v2.php3?prod=49

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk