Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Beefsteak?

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Perhaps this is a bit pre-Golden Era, but I'm not sure who else to ask. It seems to me I once read of an event called a "Beefsteak" that involved black tie, big tables, lots of people, and all-you-can-eat steak (perhaps served on bread instead of plates?).

I'm having trouble finding references to anything other than tomatoes, unfortunately. Could somebody help me remember just what such an event entails?

Thanks,

Dave

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
You should read "All You Can Hold For Five Bucks" written by Joseph Mitchell for The New Yorker in 1939. He describes the Beefsteak as a type of stag dinner consisting of slices of beef on bread or toast, eaten off beer barrels, while sitting on beer crates, in the cellar of a saloon as a tradition in New York dating back to the mid 19th century.

http://www.smokinjoesbbq.com/pdf/BeefSteakHistory.pdf

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Great article, Stanley. Interesting use of the term "bisexual" when most would today say "coed". I hate to admit it, but Manhattans-and-fruit-cups with tuxedos sounds more my speed than beer-and-polka in your second-best suit.

-Dave

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21