Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A couple of fashion pet peeves...

1) Shorts in the winter. It was 20 degrees yesterday and I saw no less than three guys out in shorts. I don't care how much of a mountain man you are, you look silly. Put on some long pants.
2) This untucked shirt thing. Don't get me wrong, I wear mine untucked at times, but a shirt tail hanging out from under a sweater or vest just looks sloppy and dumb. Tuck it in.

Anyone else?

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
1) Shorts in the winter. It was 20 degrees yesterday and I saw no less than three guys out in shorts. I don't care how much of a mountain man you are, you look silly. Put on some long pants.
2) This untucked shirt thing. Don't get me wrong, I wear mine untucked at times, but a shirt tail hanging out from under a sweater or vest just looks sloppy and dumb. Tuck it in.

Anyone else?
I agree on both counts, but one of the things you'll find here on the Lounge is that such opinions are most often greeted with either an ominous silence or a lecture on individuality, and over the years I've been logging on I've realized they're probably right. For instance, the shirt-tail controversy is an on-going one and I feel as you do, but why would I want to offend those who disagree, espeicially since some of them are the most decent people who comment here? So, you learn a little tolerance, which is always a good thing.

MondoFW

Practically Family
I agree on both counts, but one of the things you'll find here on the Lounge is that such opinions are most often greeted with either an ominous silence or a lecture on individuality, and over the years I've been logging on I've realized they're probably right. For instance, the shirt-tail controversy is an on-going one and I feel as you do, but why would I want to offend those who disagree, espeicially since some of them are the most decent people who comment here? So, you learn a little tolerance, which is always a good thing.
Surely we can all agree on the suspenders + belt faux pas?

Anyone else?
I live on the west coast so we don't get very cold in the winter but wearing shorts is a "thing". Many of the middle school students that pass my house wear shorts regardless of the weather. Sort of an adolescent insoussiance??

OldStrummer

Practically Family
You asked about pet peeves. While I know it's "high fashion" right now, I cringe every time I see someone wearing brown shoes with a blue or grey suit. Never mind that suits these days look like they've shrunk two sizes before being worn.

HanauMan

Practically Family
You asked about pet peeves. While I know it's "high fashion" right now, I cringe every time I see someone wearing brown shoes with a blue or grey suit. Never mind that suits these days look like they've shrunk two sizes before being worn.

Hmmmm.........

I wore an Italian blue linen suit with Red Wing brown leather lace up shoes for my wedding. This was twenty years ago. :)

MondoFW

Practically Family
Curious, what shoes do you recommend wearing with a blue suit?

Navy suits are highly versatile. The most popular choice is brown but almost any shoe color will also match this suit. Gray suits pair well with a variety of colors including black, lighter brown or camel. Charcoal suits look best with black or dark burgundy shoes.
How To Match A Shoe To A Suit | JoS. A. Bank
upload_2017-12-30_10-31-16.png

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member

You see this combo in menswear illustrations throughout the era.

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
Shorts in the winter. It was 20 degrees yesterday and I saw no less than three guys out in shorts. I don't care how much of a mountain man you are, you look silly. Put on some long pants.
This irritates me to no end. I also knew a guy in high school who I swear did not own a single pair of pants. You know they're cold, but through some misplaced sense of masculinity, they'll never admit it.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You see this combo in menswear illustrations throughout the era.
That's absolutely correct. I was just watching some of the "Bertie and Jeeves" episodes, and in a few of them Bertie (Hugh Laurie) is sporting (with Jeeves' approval) a grey or blue suit with brown shoes and hat. I also recall my father's Uncle Harry, one of the best-dressed men I've ever known and who worked with Dutch Shultz, the gangster, back in the Thirties, wearing brown shoes with blue suits. I was just wondering if this prejudice didn't begin during the Sixties and Seventies, when brown shoes fell out of style for a time. Frank Zappa had a song on one of his early albums called "Brown Shoes Don't Make It."

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Shorts in winter seems to be a college-age-and-down thing here. The only grown men I see doing it have enough natural insulation to make it work, comfort-wise (I assume).

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana