• Welcome to The Fedora Lounge!

A Life in Leather: profile of Aero founder Ken Calder

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Sloan1874, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Sloan1874

Sloan1874 I'll Lock Up

2. wdw

wdw One Too Many

Nice and interesting piece, Craig. I read it over cornflakes this morning.
  3. Hey Sloan:

Thanks for putting it up...Really enjoyed it.
  4. Thanks! Very interesting,indeed. Enjoyed the article very much...and learned a little more history about Ken and his company.
  5. Sloan1874

Sloan1874 I'll Lock Up

Thank you, HD. It was fun writing it and it looks even better in the magazine. Just shows how much Ken cares about his craft.
  6. I never knew that was speaking to a famous man on the phone just the other day. Says more about me than Ken.
    An honour.
  7. rocketeer

rocketeer One Too Many

A great feature Craig and nice to see my old jacket in print again.
  8. You did an excellent job Craig! Thanks for writing the article and posting it for us.

9. Sloan1874

Sloan1874 I'll Lock Up

It was a pleasure, and all the better for your input - and, yes, the jacket looks brilliant. Will stick a copy in the post tomorrow.
  10. wdw

wdw One Too Many

John, which is your old jacket and what's the history?
  11. Fanch

Fanch Call Me a Cab

That is a very interesting article which a friend of mine on the FL sent me last night. I am glad to now be able to place faces on the people that are running Aero. Thanks for sharing this with us.
  12. Sloan1874

Sloan1874 I'll Lock Up

Thank you! It amazed me that nobody had ever sat down with Ken and just asked him about his career. He's a guy who has devoted most of his life to his art and even now, when most people are enjoying their retirement, still cares deeply about it. Hopefully, that comes through in my piece.
  13. nick123

nick123 My Mail is Forwarded Here

Aero=punk rock.
  14. Cooperson

Cooperson Practically Family

Great read, thanks for posting.
  15. rocketeer

rocketeer One Too Many

Mine is the jacket Ken is wearing in Craig's feature.
    I'm going to do a write up on the jacket and early days of Aero in Battersea soon.
    here's me wearing it a few months back:

16. Metatron

Metatron One Too Many

It's to their credit that they do not flaunt their 'celeb appeal'. But is it really a good thing that Daniel Craig has to send his jacket back for repairs? :D
  17. wdw

wdw One Too Many

So you're the John mentioned in the article? Then that has a nice closing-the-circle touch to it. I look forward to your write-up.

What I like about Aero is the fact that we can all interact with the people who design and make the jackets, something a million miles away from the high street and far eastern sweatshops.

(No doubt some other small manufacturers are similar, but I've not dealt with any so can't speak from experience.)
  18. Doublegun

Doublegun Practically Family

Great article that gave me a better perspective and even more appreciation for their jackets and the ethos of the company. Very proud to own a couple of Aero's.
  19. Sloan1874

Sloan1874 I'll Lock Up

I think it was his zip. :D
  20. jon11

jon11 One of the Regulars

Fantastic article Craig, he seems such a nice modest guy, :)