Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dewhurst

Practically Family
I actually know a few people who prefer wool felt hats for humane reasons. Assuaging the conscience can be a worthwhile thing for these people pricked with the guilt. I view the use of other animals as a more or less natural process so we have amazing conversations where we approach a middle ground but never settle.

Wool felt does get dumped on quite a bit, despite the fact that a few brands, especially Dobbs in my experience, make some extremely nice wool felt or wool felt mixture hats (of course, they spare the absolute best for their fur felt numbers). Basically any hat made from any material has failings. It is inevitable. Wool just has a few extra failings when placed against the values many habitual hat wearers desire.

I guess it's kinda like minute steaks vs. sirloin steaks. They are both "steaks", and they will both nourish and prolong death from starvation, but their qualities sometimes differ dramatically.

Last edited:

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I like the analogy. Sounds like an SAT/ACT question:

Steakums are to sirloin as wool felt hats are to:
A. Fur felt
B. a toupee
C. Those crappy little fourteen dollar, poly/cotton, stingy brim, hipster doofus, skate puke, pinstriped or adorned with a skull or some other such B.S. trendy "graphics", fedoras

Last edited:

WideBrimm

A-List Customer
Personally, I find wool felt hats to be preferable to fur felt in the winter IN DRY WEATHER. I'll wear mostly fedoras, but sometimes a flat cap. Wool fedoras seem to be warmer and more comfortable with a snug fit in cold winter weather. When it snows (or rains) I wear a fur felt or a canvas bucket fedora. :D

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I like the analogy. Sounds like an SAT/ACT question:

Steakums are to sirloin as wool felt hats are to:
A. Fur felt
B. a toupee
C. Those crappy little fourteen dollar, poly/cotton, stingy brim, hipster doofus, skate puke, pinstriped or adorned with a skull or some other such B.S. trendy "graphics", fedoras

Is this a trick question?

One Too Many
Personally, I find wool felt hats to be preferable to fur felt in the winter IN DRY WEATHER. I'll wear mostly fedoras, but sometimes a flat cap. Wool fedoras seem to be warmer and more comfortable with a snug fit in cold winter weather. When it snows (or rains) I wear a fur felt or a canvas bucket fedora. :D
Also there are raincoats and umbrellas, in our land there are many folks using a hard wool felt hats, thence when it is rain, put on the hats a small plastic western or fedora, thence in this way keep dry them hats, here never snow, the winter is so cold but with out snow, you can wear any kind hat every time, there are many styles in wool by Stetson (Lody) and Dobbs wich are nice, warm and confortable, furthermore are more crushables than others.

Last edited:

Fedora Jay

Familiar Face
My first was a wool

My first real hat was a Stetson Pony Express wool western style. I still wear it from time to time when I don't mind the western look, or go to something country themed like a honky tonk or concert.

KD5NRH

New in Town
It's darker than these photos depict. It's actually almost black, charcoal grey I suppose. I wasn't really after that when I bought the hat, this is the color they advertised:
medium_135003JaxonCCrownCrushable1.jpg

Odd; mine is sitting on my knee right now and it's pretty much an exact match for your photos in Starbucks' lighting. Unfortunately, in most stores' dressing rooms, the awful lighting makes it look almost turquoise, which make it nearly impossible to see how it will look with a suit.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
I just wear hats Wool, Fur felt, Cotton, Straw and what ever else material they could come up with. I wear vintage and brand new off the rack stuff from Dillards (best place for new hats in my area pick up a Stetson straw for 30 bucks on sell last friday). Just wear and enjoy.:)

Bourne ID

One of the Regulars
I just wear hats Wool, Fur felt, Cotton, Straw and what ever else material they could come up with. I wear vintage and brand new off the rack stuff from Dillards (best place for new hats in my area pick up a Stetson straw for 30 bucks on sell last friday). Just wear and enjoy.:)

Ah...you are wise...wiser hatter! Just wear them all...old, new and whatever makes you feel just right!

fmw

One Too Many
My favorite casual hat in terms of style is this wool felt Stetson Sturgis. It's hard to see in in the image but it is a 3" brimmed Western hat with a teardrop crown. I like it so much I'm having a fur felt version of it custom made. This hat hasn't been in rain or snow yet so it still looks fine.

sturgis.jpg

JimWagner

Practically Family
It seems most of us own a few wool hat shaped objects that are worn when we don't want to risk undue damage to real hats. It's doubtful that you'll find anyone who owns a decent fur felt that would say they prefer wool and wish they hadn't bought the fur felt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk