Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A question for the red heads...

anabolina

A-List Customer
I'm growing tired of my hair color again and want to go back to red. I guess that now that I've grown out the damage, I can go ahead and damage it again. lol

I really like this color on Kirsten Dunst.

EFC21C156BA1DF3AF1804DDB9271.jpg

or this one in Kate Isitt.

kate_isitt_gallery_main.jpg

Does anyone know a good shade to get this hair. I tend to avoid the drugstore brands since I haven't had much luck with them. My natural color is between 6G and 7G. Would you say that color is a 6R with light copper blonde highlights?

RitaHayworth

One of the Regulars
ohairas said:
Hi Bebop! It is a problem and depends on what your color is when you start. Natural blonds and dishwater blonds acheive this color much easier and it stays more vibrant.

I'm a natural brunette. I have fought for years to get the perfect shade, which I strive to be Rose red from Titanic, and NOT her mother, lol!
I switched to Pravana brand at work a few months ago and am LOVING it. The color is more shiney and lasts longer. Which, for reds, is good.
My current formula is 7.45 and 8.45 mixed. It's a copper red.

Still, reds fade so quickly and depending on what I'm going to be doing I sometimes I add a bit more red to the copper formula because in a few washings the harsh red will be gone anyway.

In Titanic you'll see Rose's hair looking a different shade in almost every scene. That's kind of how it goes. Just when you love the shade, POUF! It's faded and time to re-color.:(
And it looks different in every light. Frankly it drives me batty, but I just can't quit being red for now!

Here's mine right after a touch up and using a bit more red and washed a few times,
P1010047.jpg

This is after it's quite faded and with the camera flash
CopyofHPIM0278.jpg

This is my sister's hair I streaked with Redken 7RC and 9RC. She's a bit more dishwater naturally and had blond highlights already.. so she turns more vibrant that I would with those colors.
http://new.photos.yahoo.com/ohairas/album/576460762343343421/photo/294928803642782127/19

This is me after I had had blond hilights and my nat. brunette. I wanted to go back red. I used Redken Shades Bonfire mixed with Cherry Cola. A bit "wine" at first, but again, it fades quickly. Also, shades is semi permanant and won't lift the nautral color... so it's basically red mixed with brown which will look darker and more "purple".
http://new.photos.yahoo.com/ohairas/album/576460762343348698/photo/294928803642926154/21

Hope this gives you an idea!
Nikki

Nikki - your color is georgous!! I really want red hair after seeing Christina Hendricks from Mad Men but I am a dark brown and it would take heaps of lifting to get me there. :(

PS: What is that lippy your wearing in the first pic? I love it!!

RitaHayworth

One of the Regulars
ohairas said:
I love, love, LOVE your hair here! You are too cute, welcome to the lounge!
Nikki

If you are afraid to mix your own dye I always used L'Oreal. It has been over a year long I can't remember the name of this one.
head.jpg

Agreed! I am so envious! I want to run over to my neighbours house (who is also my HD), drag her to the supply house and DEMAND she do my hair today!

I simply love how georgous red hair looks with pink and red make up (NOT at the same time though!)

sweatyspaghetti

Familiar Face
when i was a redhead(im blonde/pink now) i used a variety of ammonia free colors. i did Color Pulse in Red Pulse.Color Silk in Strawberry Blonde which i couldn't handle because the horrid smell made me puke and left sores all over my neck. I loved all the Clairol Natural Instincts line, i liked the strawberry blondish one,it was remarkable,and the light auburn one was good too ,just darker.
i use ammonia free colors for allergic reaction issues,and the fact that it doesn't fry off my hair one bit. but try and find a color thats been around for a long time so it has that vintage-esque feel,i know Lucille Ball used henna to color it, which is okay now because the more modern ones go without metallic salts.:D
i hope i helpedlol

o0olibelulao0o

Familiar Face
Ok this thread makes me want to go red again... but not the auburn red I had before... I have medium/dark brown hair with some natural blonde bits thrown in... A light but olive-y can look tan complexion... Any suggestions? Here are some pics from when I was red before...
(pardon the no makeup and lack of hair styling this was RIGHT after I dyed it)
10908060.jpg

(a couple weeks after... I liked this color)
10908095.jpg

(a couple more weeks after... looking much more purple-y :()
hair001.jpg

Tinseltown

A-List Customer
I would love red hair. Always loved it. I have medium golden brown hair now - would my hair have to be bleached before dyeing it a color like say Ohairas or this girl:

3326083260_47a8fdea23.jpg

(il est mon cheri on flickr)

I have only ever coloured my hair a darker brown...

RitaHayworth

One of the Regulars
o0olibelulao0o said:
Ok this thread makes me want to go red again... but not the auburn red I had before... I have medium/dark brown hair with some natural blonde bits thrown in... A light but olive-y can look tan complexion... Any suggestions? Here are some pics from when I was red before...
(pardon the no makeup and lack of hair styling this was RIGHT after I dyed it)
10908060.jpg

(a couple weeks after... I liked this color)
10908095.jpg

(a couple more weeks after... looking much more purple-y :()
hair001.jpg

Ooh!! I have medium to dark brown hair - I love this color too!!

I'd love to do something adventurous like this - but at the end of the day I do love my brown!

RitaHayworth

One of the Regulars
o0olibelulao0o said:
It's a new shade: Clairol Natural Instincts Tahitian Cherry :)

but it's a semi-permanent red... so it doesn't last long. :(

Hmm. My hair has had some "trauma" lately - I went blondish - couldnt handle it - now I am back to light brown with honey highlights. Dont know if it could handle regular retouching!

Lareesie Ladavi

One of the Regulars
Tinseltown said:
I would love red hair. Always loved it. I have medium golden brown hair now - would my hair have to be bleached before dyeing it a color like say Ohairas or this girl:

3326083260_47a8fdea23.jpg

I have only ever coloured my hair a darker brown...
I would be carefull with bleaching before-hand. Bleach makes your hair follicles stand up, so color bleeds right out. Your hair sounds pretty light, just a box color should be enough.

o0olibelulao0o

Familiar Face
RitaHayworth said:
Hmm. My hair has had some "trauma" lately - I went blondish - couldnt handle it - now I am back to light brown with honey highlights. Dont know if it could handle regular retouching!

Well it's gentler than regular dye, so that would help. But i'm sure it's still not great... I haven't re-dyed it since... I'm considering going with a true red instead of an auburn...

Tinseltown

A-List Customer
Lareesie Ladavi said:
I would be carefull with bleaching before-hand. Bleach makes your hair follicles stand up, so color bleeds right out. Your hair sounds pretty light, just a box color should be enough.
My hair is around the same color lilbelulas is in her avatar - is that still light enough?
I am very happy I wouldn't have to bleach... Because my hair is kind of fragile.

o0olibelulao0o

Familiar Face
If you get the right shade of red it should be fine... Or you can get those kind formulated for darker hair. My hair picks up color well, it never turns out like the color on the box but it always looks nice. :)

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Hi girls~

Rita, I *think* that color of lipstick I had on was Revlon's Certainly Red.

Tinsel, you shouldn't have to bleach to achieve that shade, UNLESS your hair has been dyed the shade it is now.
Meaning, if your brown hair is natural, no problem.
But if you have colored it brown, then you would have to bleach a TAD to lighten and then apply the red over top.

Remember ladies, you don't always have to bleach to blonde to achieve some of these shades... you just have to break the barrier somewhat.... you're not looking at damage and breakage here unless your hair is already abused.

For those of you (and me in the past) who tend to get a more violet or black cherry toned red when you don't want it, it's because either the color you chose has too much RED in it and not COPPER, or the color is a semi or demi only and you need something that actually lifts, or both.

Even if you choose a copper shade, yet your hair is dark, adding a deposit only color on top will only deepen it and make it appear somewhat burgundy-ish.

Medvssa

One of the Regulars
Another option that doesn't damage hair at all (in fact mine loved it) is Henna, but it is only deposit of course, so it won't lighten, and it can be quite unpredictable, so strand tests are a must. It is very permanent, but I love the depth of red you can get with a good quality henna. I really loved it, more than any dye I have ever tried.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
I think we have a thread on henna somewhere 'round here!
I don't know much about it and have never used it...
but I do know we were never to perm over it for some reason!
It's on my list of things to learn about.... but I have a VERY long list, lol!

o0olibelulao0o

Familiar Face
ohairas said:
For those of you (and me in the past) who tend to get a more violet or black cherry toned red when you don't want it, it's because either the color you chose has too much RED in it and not COPPER, or the color is a semi or demi only and you need something that actually lifts, or both.

Even if you choose a copper shade, yet your hair is dark, adding a deposit only color on top will only deepen it and make it appear somewhat burgundy-ish.

I think I've always just been afraid of the copper-y reds because I'm afraid it will turn out like carrot top! But maybe I just need to give it a try, since thats probably the red I'm actually looking for! :) Thanks!

RitaHayworth

One of the Regulars
o0olibelulao0o said:
I think I've always just been afraid of the copper-y reds because I'm afraid it will turn out like carrot top! But maybe I just need to give it a try, since thats probably the red I'm actually looking for! :) Thanks!

I think that is a natural fear when anyone mentions "red hair" I know in the past when I have had colours and gone for a little bit of red to warm me up - Ive always worried of the outcome!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21