Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Resurgence of Hats

facade

A-List Customer
No, I understand that point. I'm simply saying that I don't see how society is supposedly more "fractured" today than it was in years past where you had deeper divisions along ethnic and regional lines. And my argument is not just about mass media, that is merely the easiest way to illustrate my point.

In the 20's and 30's the population of the USA was 90% white and the white population held 100% of the power. So those in the minority had no choice but to play by the rules set by the majority. So yes society had deep social problems and divides but it was much less fractured. Today there is much more diversity and the power of the majority is vastly curtailed. Further far greater governmental power was held by local communities of the 20's and 30's. They had the power to enforce whatever social rules they deemed necessary. Today local communities have no power whatsoever to enforce any type of social rules.

Social order comes from people who share common values and a sense of community. Further the local community must have the power to enforce these shared values. When none of these exist you have what we have today.

Let me head off the inevitable charges of racism. I am not advocating the oppression of minorities.

masiaka

Familiar Face
In the 20's and 30's that white 90% of the US was split between Protestants and Catholics, there was frequent infighting between the ethnically Irish and the ethnically Italian to name but one exclusively white conflict, despite the WASP bias in power there was a greater disparity between upper class and lower with little to no middle class, etc. There wasn't a unifying culture to whitewash away the other differences between these groups of people, if you'll pardon my pun. As an example, the Klu Klux Klan was historically anti-Catholic as well as universally racist. Social division was more widespread than I think you realize, that era in our society only looks more homogenous than (and more polite than) our own in hindsight. Nostalgia is perfectly acceptable on this website, though. ;)

facade

A-List Customer
In the 20's and 30's that white 90% of the US was split between Protestants and Catholics, there was frequent infighting between the ethnically Irish and the ethnically Italian to name but one exclusively white conflict, despite the WASP bias in power there was a greater disparity between upper class and lower with little to no middle class, etc. There wasn't a unifying culture to whitewash away the other differences between these groups of people, if you'll pardon my pun. As an example, the Klu Klux Klan was historically anti-Catholic as well as universally racist. Social division was more widespread than I think you realize, that era in our society only looks more homogenous than (and more polite than) our own in hindsight. Nostalgia is perfectly acceptable on this website, though. ;)

No argument. There has always been differences and strife. There has never been a time of Eden in the USA. It is not my intention to suggest otherwise. I still maintain things were less fractured though. When it comes to social order it doesn't matter whether people like each other. It doesn't matter whether the rules are fair or that everyone has a say. Nor does it matter if communities live by different rules. What matters is that people are willing to live by the rules of their community. When a community has competing rules or no rules at all, then you have social disorder and a fractured society.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
In the 20's and 30's the population of the USA was 90% white and the white population held 100% of the power. So those in the minority had no choice but to play by the rules set by the majority. So yes society had deep social problems and divides but it was much less fractured. Today there is much more diversity and the power of the majority is vastly curtailed. Further far greater governmental power was held by local communities of the 20's and 30's. They had the power to enforce whatever social rules they deemed necessary. Today local communities have no power whatsoever to enforce any type of social rules.

Social order comes from people who share common values and a sense of community. Further the local community must have the power to enforce these shared values. When none of these exist you have what we have today.

Let me head off the inevitable charges of racism. I am not advocating the oppression of minorities.

The underlying assumption conflating government and social rules is, to be kind, a tenuous connection.

Give me some examples of local government enforcing social rules that is no longer possible.

Masiaka's point is well taken, and honestly I don't see how you seem to be reconciling his point with your own. While you are roughly correct on your percentages, I think you have taken a largely a-historical analysis to forward your own viewpoints.

Last edited:

ShortAndCashed

One of the Regulars
Getting back to the topic of hipsters wearing hats rudely, I must admit, that I do not always observe the etiquette myself, for numerous reasons. Firstly, accommodations are NEVER made in my rural town for hat lovers. Even those who wear overcoats here are out of luck. Secondly, my hats/caps leave me with horrible cases of hat hair... I don't know why, I guess I have sensitive hair. Thirdly, nobody has ever noticed. I would even venture so far as to say that there might be a half dozen of the elders here that even know what hat etiquette is, maybe 2 that know the actual "rules." I have yet to be looked down upon because I'm wearing a hat indoors. That being said, if I know I will be somewhere I would feel uncomfortable in a hat, I simply don't wear one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points