Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Suit To Make Anyone Proud

Paul Roerich

"A List" Customer
Paul, If one were to have this suit replicated to the very last stitch(sloppy x stitching and all), what would a rough estimate be in cost?

I have no idea. Oviatt suits were expensive, but less so than competitors' suits of equal quality. Why? Because RTW and MTM Oviatt suits were made in the massive third floor workroom of the Oviatt Building. (The haberdashery was on the first and second floors.) The resultant cost savings were passed on to the customer.

Paul Roerich

"A List" Customer
They are all over the 1929/1930 Schneidermeister journals.

Not exactly. What makes the Oviatt belt different is the way in which its back ends are sewn into the trouser band. This was new.

IMG_1688_zps1a70b99e.jpg

delectans

Call Me a Cab
Another example of an Oviatt's label with erratic stitching:

Is this an illustration of Oviatt's exaggerated display of handwork, or does it raise other possibilities?

Paul Roerich

"A List" Customer
Well, I give up, slightly. Does it make a large difference from a belt which goes into a tunnel at the side seam or at the pleats?

I'll let the Oviatt patent abstract answer for itself:

"When the belt is properly adjusted to the waist of the wearer, the two parts exert a pull from the two points of attachment at the back forwardly over the hips of the wearer. In this manner, the waist portion is caused to more snugly embrace the wearer's body directly above the hips, thereby securely holding the trousers on the hips to effectively support the trousers from the hips. This function is rendered possible by reason of the fact that the trousers snugly fit the back of the wearer, and hence cannot give across the back under the pull exerted by the belt parts."

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Paul, If one were to have this suit replicated to the very last stitch(sloppy x stitching and all), what would a rough estimate be in cost?
Not Paul, but I would guesstimate (the quality of the cashmere being the wildcard) in the neighborhood of $10k.

Paul Roerich

"A List" Customer
Not Paul, but I would guesstimate (the quality of the cashmere being the wildcard) in the neighborhood of $10k.

Here's what one Hollywood actor of the '20s and '30s said years later about Oviatt east India cashmere:

"I was wearing cashmere suits ... from Oviatt's. Indian cashmere. When you were a cashmere man, you were in a different world. Certain cashmeres were good for business and certain ones were good for romance, if you knew the balance of these things. Right now there are certain pieces of cashmere that, if I could get hold of, I would make a new world for myself."

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
sounds a bit high to me. most of the big name London tailors start at around £2500 for a two piece suit. including extra for cashmere and waistcoat; £3500 - £4000 ($6.5k)
I was going off list prices for brands such as Oxxford, Kiton, Brioni, Borrelli, Attolini, etc....who offer cashmere 2pc in the 7-10k range. Add a vest and.......

Paul Roerich

"A List" Customer
I might be splitting hairs, but I found this, from 1931:

tumblrm2n61e2swl1rtpes1.jpg

But that looks like there might be an elastic "back section" of the belt which goes through a long tunnel loop in the back waistband. Oviatt's belt had no back section: it was in two strips, both of which ended at (and were sewn onto) the waistband behind each side pocket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points