Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aarsenic and Old Lace

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I just got the movie on DVD today, and enjoyed the entire slapstick comedy.

This film features Cary Grant, Pricilla Lane, Raymond Massey, Peter Lorre, Jack Carson, James Gleason, Josephine Hull, Jean Adair, John Alexander, and Edward Everett Horton.

Smashing comedy, Film Noir at it's best.

Warner Brothers choose Frank Capra to direct, and Julius and Phillip Epstein to do the screenplay. Of course Max Steiner did the music.

I had it on VHS, but the DVD is so crisp! I recommend it to anyone's collection.

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
Great black comedy. This movie has Cary Grant at his best, as a man who is trying to stop his two nice old aunts from putting all the older men of the neighborhood out of their misery.

Imahomer

Practically Family
I liked the movie and I'm a big fan of Cary Grant, but it's never been one of my favorites. I'd rate it as good, but not great.

havershaw

Practically Family
I have this, too - I really like the movie, and being a big Cary Grant fan, I like him in it - but it's the performance he always complains about.

Imahomer

Practically Family
Originally posted by havershaw
I have this, too - I really like the movie, and being a big Cary Grant fan, I like him in it - but it's the performance he always complains about.

I've heard that Cary Grant never liked his performance in this movie, but I don't know what it was he didn't like about it.

havershaw

Practically Family
Took a while for me to get back this, didn't I?

I believe he said he felt it was just a terrible dose of overacting and shrubbery chewing. I can sort of see his point - but I really enjoy the movie (and his performance) anyway.

Michael Mallory

One of the Regulars
The movie's okay, but it would have been dynamite with Karloff, instead of Raymond Massey made up to look like Karloff. The Broadway producers wouldn't allow Karloff to leave the play while the movie was filmed (it was shot in 1941, when the play was a hit in NY, but held for release until 1944). For the record, I did the play twenty-odd years ago, playing the Karloff role, and it's probably the most fool-proof comedy in the American theatre. Even I couldn't screw it up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk