Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Above The Tie Stainless Steel Razors ?

Sonero

Practically Family
Gentlemen,

I found yet another expensive toy I don't need but want very desperately :)

Enter Above The Tie Stainless Steel Razor made in the USA.

It dawned on me that I have hit and miss experiences buying plastic safety razors. I find one I like then I can't seem to find it again because the packaging has changed or the blade swivels when I don't want it too Etc.

I figured I want a single edge razor because I would like to give my sideburns a nice sharp line when I don't have access to a trimmer while on the road.

They sell these in so many variations it makes my head spin...open comb , aggressive, slant, mid aggressive.

Can someone on here put all of this into perspective for me ? Where do I buy blades for these types of razors ? What does the open comb do and would I have use for a 7 piece set which includes all the different heads ?

Thanks so much.

large_4c078174-e73a-a2801_large.jpeg

Edward

Bartender
I started DE shaving with a Merkur Progress. You can get a very usable razor body from the likes of Parker for under twenty dollars. The one thing you have to watch: DE shaving is very cheap once the start-up costs pay for themselves (and they do, very quickly), but those nice razor handles and other bits of kit are so..... moreish.....

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
As I understand it, long comb heads are for beards that are particularly stiff and unruly.
As mentioned, you need not spend a fat wad of cash to get started with a double edge safety razor. I've been using the same one for more than a decade, and it cost about $35. With the Derby blades also mentioned above, my shaving costs are next to nothing. I have spent less than $20 on blades in all those ten years, and the same brush. The only real cost now is cream.

AND the shave is far, far, FAR superior to the hack job you get from the multi-blade razors.

viclip

Practically Family
I recently polished off my father's hoard of DE blades (he died in 1995). I then proceeded to attack his stash of Gillette Trac/Trac II cartridges, which I continue to use.

One thing that I noticed is that shaving with DE's is way faster than with the cartridges, because with practice one can deftly twirl the DE razor about so as to apply the unused side of the blade; with the cartridges I'm forever sloshing them under the tap to wash away the debris, seems to take forever to shave.

Although I'm nicking myself less with the multi-razor blade set-up, I really would prefer to go back to the double-edged variety. But alas, I feel compelled to use up my father's stash of Gillette cartridges ... waste not, want not as he used to say.

Twelvefret

New in Town
I have a couple and prefer those will longer handles. I access the blades at the grocery store.

Sonero

Practically Family
I appreciate these responses. I think I am going to purchase an Above The Tie razor, for the simple fact that it is a nice man item to have.
The open comb looks the most interesting to me.

I wonder if I should switch over to a shaving soap vs shaving cream after purchasing it ?

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
I appreciate these responses. I think I am going to purchase an Above The Tie razor, for the simple fact that it is a nice man item to have.
The open comb looks the most interesting to me.

I wonder if I should switch over to a shaving soap vs shaving cream after purchasing it ?
Sonero,

I've been DE shaving for about 4 years. I started with a Merkur 23C: The vendor advised me that a long handle would probably be more comfortable for me, as I was coming from the long-handled cartridge razors. Then I branched into vintage, and have 2 1950s Gillettes and one from 1962.

Soap vs. cream is an eternal question. Creams work just fine with DE razors. I've been relying on a brand called Taylor of Old Bond Street (TOBS), which you can buy at a reasonable price for a goodly amount of product. Recently I've been checking out soaps, and they may take a little more practice -- too much water and your lather is runny, too little and it's thick and sticky. But that's part of the fun of experimentation and discovery.

Change one thing at a time. Go for the razor, keep your current cream, learn how best to employ the razor, find out what brands of blades work for you. Then you can move on to soaps if you like the scents (some vendors will send you samples, or you can purchase the samples very inexpensively). The best piece of advice I've had about DE shaving is, Use no pressure. Cartridge razors require you to press a bit on your skin. DE razors don't. Let the razor do the work.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I know there's a lot of love here for DE shaving and although I have tried them (for months at a time) I find there is nothing faster or cheaper than a Gillette Mach 3. I can shave in under five minutes, (using a little grape oil) impeccably closely and the blade lasts a month. The DE's too often result in blood and scrapings and rash and take longer - you have to do it at least twice. But that's my experience - I've tried many different blades form Derby to Feather and many razors from Merkur to vintage Gillette. If DE's work for you and meet your needs then great but I don't think they work for everyone.

Twelvefret

New in Town
I use Barbasol lanolin shaving cream. Besides using it to shave, it is a good conditioner for baseball gloves and shoes when breaking in.

Edward

Bartender
I've been using soap instead of cream or foam since I started DE shaving around a decade ago. Vastly superior shave (even improves a cartridge razor save.)

Sonero

Practically Family
I've been using soap instead of cream or foam since I started DE shaving around a decade ago. Vastly superior shave (even improves a cartridge razor save.)
Can you post a photo ? I assume the soap lathers up to be less than foam which brings the razor closer to your face ?

Edward

Bartender
Can you post a photo ? I assume the soap lathers up to be less than foam which brings the razor closer to your face ?

Comes up to a cream-like lather, but better than anything out of a can. Best way to gt an idea of it is to look at some of the tutorials on Youtube - some really good ones out there.

Feraud

Bartender
I feel a lot of the terms are more marketing than anything else. Aggressive, mid-slant, mild, etc. Experience is the best teacher. DE shaving is very affordable. Quality razors can be found for next to nothing on the secondary market. Most are in excellent working order.

Double edge blades can be found at many drug stores and in many locations online.

As for soap, there is no reason at this time to switch from can to whip your own. What many men find as they gravitate to the quality of a DE shave are the endless variety of soaps, brushes, balms, after-shave, etc. available to your style of shaving. That can put a dent in your budget!

Edward

Bartender
I feel a lot of the terms are more marketing than anything else. Aggressive, mid-slant, mild, etc. Experience is the best teacher. DE shaving is very affordable. Quality razors can be found for next to nothing on the secondary market. Most are in excellent working order.

Double edge blades can be found at many drug stores and in many locations online.

As for soap, there is no reason at this time to switch from can to whip your own. What many men find as they gravitate to the quality of a DE shave are the endless variety of soaps, brushes, balms, after-shave, etc. available to your style of shaving. That can put a dent in your budget!

I found that DE shaving can be done very cheaply on a modest initial investment. As I recall, my first razor, brush and soap set me back somewhere around forty quid. I've yet to spend much more than that again on blades in the last ten odd years, I think.... It's something that can be very cheap - the killer is if you get into the hobby side of it: I've already bought half a dozen razor handles, new and vintage. It can get pricey if you're not careful if you go that way.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Gentlemen,

I found yet another expensive toy I don't need but want very desperately :)

Enter Above The Tie Stainless Steel Razor made in the USA.

It dawned on me that I have hit and miss experiences buying plastic safety razors. I find one I like then I can't seem to find it again because the packaging has changed or the blade swivels when I don't want it too Etc.

I figured I want a single edge razor because I would like to give my sideburns a nice sharp line when I don't have access to a trimmer while on the road.

They sell these in so many variations it makes my head spin...open comb , aggressive, slant, mid aggressive.

Can someone on here put all of this into perspective for me ? Where do I buy blades for these types of razors ? What does the open comb do and would I have use for a 7 piece set which includes all the different heads ?

Thanks so much.

View attachment 108865
Don't get into a spin, have you never thought that you can actually buy original, vintage razors? Buy new by all means, and if the thought of shaving with a razor that someone else used is one that is gross, then of course, buy new.
Shaving daily came late to me, I've always had a beard, but that was vanity. There's a mole on the right side of my face that the beard hid, however when the whiskers started turning white, I preferred the mole than Santa's whiskers, vanity again.
My wife and I attend many a vintage gig where there are stalls selling just about everything from yesteryear. It was at a 40's event on one of our heritage railways that my missus came across a couple of gentlemen's travel toiletry pouches. The larger one has a couple of cruets that look like salt and pepper but are actually a shaving stick. (of soap) and the other contains talcum balm. There's also a couple of razors, one flat edge for shaving, one comb edge for hair trimming. I buy Wilkinson Sword double edge razors for a couple of quid, you can get them anywhere, but recently my wife came across a large razor pack being sold off. I think she paid about six pounds for the lot. The smaller pouch is just for grooming. The pouches were for sale at £20 for the larger and £5 for the smaller. I offered the vendor £15 for the pair and to my amazement, he accepted.
My barber, a knowledgeable young lady, told me that to get a close shave and reduce the chance of nicking your skin, immerse a face flannel in very hot water and as soon as it's bearable, hold it to the area that you are going to shave, before you lather up. Apparently the heat opens the pores which in turn, gives a closer shave.
shaving 001.JPG
shaving 003.JPG
shaving 005.JPG
shaving 006.JPG
shaving.jpg

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have been shaving with a DE razor for about five years now. I agree with pretty much everything said above, the one point I would emphasize is to be patient starting out. There is definitely a learning curve with these razors and it is easy to get frustrated. With time and practice it becomes second nature and actually pretty enjoyable. I als recommend watching some videos but n YouTube, there is a whole world of shaving gurus out there...
I use Feather blades from Japan with a Feather stainless safety razor.

Dreamofgilgamesh

A-List Customer
Don't get into a spin, have you never thought that you can actually buy original, vintage razors? Buy new by all means, and if the thought of shaving with a razor that someone else used is one that is gross, then of course, buy new.
Shaving daily came late to me, I've always had a beard, but that was vanity. There's a mole on the right side of my face that the beard hid, however when the whiskers started turning white, I preferred the mole than Santa's whiskers, vanity again.
My wife and I attend many a vintage gig where there are stalls selling just about everything from yesteryear. It was at a 40's event on one of our heritage railways that my missus came across a couple of gentlemen's travel toiletry pouches. The larger one has a couple of cruets that look like salt and pepper but are actually a shaving stick. (of soap) and the other contains talcum balm. There's also a couple of razors, one flat edge for shaving, one comb edge for hair trimming. I buy Wilkinson Sword double edge razors for a couple of quid, you can get them anywhere, but recently my wife came across a large razor pack being sold off. I think she paid about six pounds for the lot. The smaller pouch is just for grooming. The pouches were for sale at £20 for the larger and £5 for the smaller. I offered the vendor £15 for the pair and to my amazement, he accepted.
My barber, a knowledgeable young lady, told me that to get a close shave and reduce the chance of nicking your skin, immerse a face flannel in very hot water and as soon as it's bearable, hold it to the area that you are going to shave, before you lather up. Apparently the heat opens the pores which in turn, gives a closer shave.
View attachment 109405 View attachment 109406 View attachment 109407 View attachment 109408 View attachment 109409

That's a very nice outfit GHT, very nice indeed. As you suggested, there's nothing wrong with used razors. After all, when you visit the barber's they don't bin the scissors after one use, they sterilize them for the next customer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana