Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Above The Tie Stainless Steel Razors ?

Edward

Bartender
Does anyone who uses a DE just do one pass?

I have done, though I find the three-pass shave worth the extra couple of minutes (I can do three passes in five minutes). If I'm being lazy, I'll only take one minute with a single pass with the cartridge, though I'v never had an ingrown hair after a DE shave, only the cartridge. In all honesty, I'd throw the Mach 3 away but for the fact that I shave my head and I cannot manage the angle require to do that with a DE by myself.

Notably, though, I find that even with a single pass I tend to get a better shave from the DE than the Mach III. I've has skin irritations from the cartridge, but never from a three-pass DE shave.

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
I know there's a lot of love here for DE shaving and although I have tried them (for months at a time) I find there is nothing faster or cheaper than a Gillette Mach 3. I can shave in under five minutes, (using a little grape oil) impeccably closely and the blade lasts a month. The DE's too often result in blood and scrapings and rash and take longer - you have to do it at least twice. But that's my experience - I've tried many different blades form Derby to Feather and many razors from Merkur to vintage Gillette. If DE's work for you and meet your needs then great but I don't think they work for everyone.
I’m in the same boat. I enjoy the process of the DE and it is a good and budget friendly method. However, i need to shave 5 days a week for work. I need to shave in the morning because a p.m. shave just won’t cut it (punny) at 3 the next afternoon. At 6 a.m. i can bang out a pretty good shave with a Mach 3 in under 5 minutes with zero chance of needing an ambulance.

Sonero

Practically Family
As Promised :

My AboveTheTie Shaving kit.

The Windsor SSH1 and Accessories. The stainless stand is beautiful. Badger hair brush.

After my first shave I LIKE IT. The razor is a wonderfully made high quality item. The shave experience was average.

My question to you all is being that it is a double edged razor cartridge does that mean I can use both sides of the blade....one today and one tomorrow ? The reason I ask is I think only one side of the blade made contact with my skin. Therefore if I turn it the other way I have a fresh blade. True or am I missing something ?

Thanks

thumbnail_20180310_163646.jpg

thumbnail_20180310_163621.jpg

3fingers

One Too Many
I use both sides every time. It eliminates half
of the rinsing. A pass with one side, flip it over and make another pass then rinse in the sink. Much quicker than using only one side.
How would you keep track of which side you used yesterday?

Dreamofgilgamesh

A-List Customer
What 3fingers said. However, and this may be some kind of OCD, but after a shave with a new blade I always take the blade out, turn it upside down and end for end then return it to my razor. Don't ask me why. I shave once a day and I make my blade last 1 week.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
As Promised :

The Windsor SSH1 and Accessories. The stainless stand is beautiful. Badger hair brush.

After my first shave I LIKE IT. The razor is a wonderfully made high quality item. The shave experience was average.

My question to you all is being that it is a double edged razor cartridge does that mean I can use both sides of the blade....one today and one tomorrow ? The reason I ask is I think only one side of the blade made contact with my skin. Therefore if I turn it the other way I have a fresh blade. True or am I missing something ?

Thanks

View attachment 110100

View attachment 110101
Lathering up is just important as shaving if you are to achieve that, soft as a baby's bottom, appearance. If you look back at my shaving pouch you will see a container between that clothes brush and the cruets, that container holds the shaving brush, the bristles of which, like your's, are badger hair. Whether the bristles make a difference or not, I couldn't say, nor am I so pedantic to suggest it. I mention it because the very soft bristles make for a superb lather.
A good tip that I learned from my father back when I started shaving, was to leave the razor in a beaker of very hot water, I also used that hot water to rinse the razor after each swipe. Very rarely did I nick myself and the shave was always first class.

I would be interested to know who uses aftershave, I've never used it after the stinging effect caused a rash. However I do use cologne.
shaving brush.jpg

Amir

New in Town
I have razors dating between 1920 and the 1950's (e.g.: Gillette Single Ring, Big Fellow, Goodwill, #77, #15, #16).
I also have multiple brushes (like a Duke 2 badger, Rooney 3/1 Super Silvertip, Shavemac Silvertip) and soaps (D.R. Harris Arlington, Haslinger w Sheep's Milk, Tabac).

Those Astras you have are good middle-of-the-road blades, balancing sharpness with comfort. The double edge blades can be re-used 2, 3, 4, 5 to 10 times (YMMV). They’re marked with numbers, and as a miser, I sometimes use one side one week, and the other, the next. You’ll know when to discard, when there’s tugging/pulling, and roughness. You'll discover various blades are sharper/smoother, etc.

After each shave, I disassemble the blade from razor and give the razor a once over with a wet toothbrush, and then, I towel dry the razor (takes 30-seconds). But I rotate, and use a different razor every day. I also rotate brushes, which have various levels of stiffness, loft and tactile feel. Same with soaps, for variety's sake.

TAH-DAH!! Shaving becomes a hobby, not a chore.

viclip

Practically Family
I would be interested to know who uses aftershave, I've never used it after the stinging effect caused a rash. However I do use cologne.
View attachment 110113
Although they may contain various ingredients, the main difference between aftershave & cologne, is the amount of alcohol added by the manufacturer, with cologne containing far less. It's likely that alcohol doesn't sit well with your skin thus while you can use cologne, aftershave contains an alcohol concentration beyond your usuable limit.

Anyways I've always used aftershave, the alcohol content doesn't bother me. Indeed, I find cologne too powerful in terms of its fragrance so to tone it down, I dilute it with rubbing alcohol ~ essentially turning it into aftershave. I hope that none of those gift bottles of cologne weren't too expensive!

3fingers

One Too Many
I use Pinaud Clubman fairly often, though in winter I tend to use Nivea post shave balm since I work outside a lot and it helps with windburn and dry skin .

Sonero

Practically Family
On the topic of after shave :

I refrain from using after shave on my face. Instead I use a little water based face cream like Purpose or Neutragena moisturizer. No burn.

Edward

Bartender
I’m in the same boat. I enjoy the process of the DE and it is a good and budget friendly method. However, i need to shave 5 days a week for work. I need to shave in the morning because a p.m. shave just won’t cut it (punny) at 3 the next afternoon. At 6 a.m. i can bang out a pretty good shave with a Mach 3 in under 5 minutes with zero chance of needing an ambulance.

As with anything else, it's just a matter of practice. I can do a decent three-pass DE shave in five minutes, if I concentrate. It's not hard once practised.

As Promised :

Thanks

View attachment 110100

View attachment 110101

Nice looking kit. Yes, you can use both sides of the blade. S'why they call it 'double-edged'. ;) DE blades replaced the single-edged blades, which the very first safety razors had - the evolutionary step between the DE razor as we know it, and a cut-throat.

What 3fingers said. However, and this may be some kind of OCD, but after a shave with a new blade I always take the blade out, turn it upside down and end for end then return it to my razor. Don't ask me why. I shave once a day and I make my blade last 1 week.

I never take the blade out of my handle save to change it, just give it a good rinse. I can get a week out of a blade too.

View attachment 110113

Stopped wearing aftershave a soon as I was old enough to shave regularly.... I would love to have the option of a dab of it (need something that stings to complete my shave routine!), but have never been able to find one that was completely unperfumed. I don't care for the scents. For now, I stick to am alum block for much the same effect.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
On the topic of after shave :

I refrain from using after shave on my face. Instead I use a little water based face cream like Purpose or Neutragena moisturizer. No burn.
I do both: first a skin lotion (not expensive), then Pinaud Clubman aftershave. If I'm not in a rush, i.e., am going to have breakfast right after my shave, I dab some Clubman talc on my cheeks and throat, the parts I've shaved. After I eat I rinse that off, and use a little cologne.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
After each shave, I disassemble the blade from razor and give the razor a once over with a wet toothbrush, and then, I towel dry the razor (takes 30-seconds). But I rotate, and use a different razor every day. I also rotate brushes, which have various levels of stiffness, loft and tactile feel. Same with soaps, for variety's sake.
TAH-DAH!! Shaving becomes a hobby, not a chore.
You can take the shaving hobby a stage further by keeping an eye out among places that sell bric-a-bras or vintage items. Just nosing around stalls at curiosity markets can unearth some real gems. How I would love a nineteenth century shaving mirror like this one, or a purpose stand with a lather bowl. This could be the start of an obsession:
shaving mirror.jpg
shaving 1.jpg

Mr. Nantus

New in Town
As Promised :

Thanks

View attachment 110100

View attachment 110101
Though I have a beard, there are still places on my face that I shave and have been using a DE blade for most of my life. I use one side of the blade for one side of my face and the other side on the other. Best shave after a nice hot shower. It will not be quite as close as the modern razors with like...42 blades. Ha! But still good.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Though I have a beard, there are still places on my face that I shave and have been using a DE blade for most of my life. I use one side of the blade for one side of my face and the other side on the other. Best shave after a nice hot shower. It will not be quite as close as the modern razors with like...42 blades. Ha! But still good.
I used those multi-blade razors off and on for many years -- mostly after a pass with the electric razor, to plane myself off. The DE razors give a much closer shave than the multi-blades, without the risk of ingrown hairs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto