Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Absinthe, Schnapps, and Other Drinks

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Tinctures of Belly Tank

Thanks for the info, Old Bean. Pretty fascinating stuff.

There's a whole lot of crockery out there about Absinthe, mostly that it's some kind of mind-altering drug. It was banned as a result of the WCTU hysteria. It became the poster child for prohibitionists.
It is a strong drink - 140 proof (give or take), and therein lies the effect - not because thujone is particularly dangerous. It is found in several common kitchen herbs.
I hope I live to see the day when cooler heads prevail, and Absinthe is again available. It is no more dangerous than the easily obtained Absolut 50%.
Don't get me started. I wrote about this here
You can learn a great deal of better information (with a forum) here.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Yep- bitter herbs and aromatic herbs are digestives and stomachics and have been used for ever. The bitters aid liver function and the liver pretty much controls many of the body's systems- bitter stuff is missing from a modern diet- we add sugar if something's bitter or sour. People used to eat raw vegetable matter, a lot of which is bitter- Dandelion Dock, Burdock- all common herbs, bitters aiding digestion, digestive- bowel function, and on and on. All the modern bitter aperitifs or digestive drinks are derived from this ancient useage- improving appetite or setling the stomach- wormwood was used for ejecting intestinal worms. Quassia bark is another really bitter product I just remembered-

Bla-bla-
B
T

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
scotrace said:
Thanks for the info, Old Bean. Pretty fascinating stuff.

There's a whole lot of crockery out there about Absinthe, mostly that it's some kind of mind-altering drug. It was banned as a result of the WCTU hysteria. It became the poster child for prohibitionists.
It is a strong drink - 140 proof (give or take), and therein lies the effect - not because thujone is particularly dangerous. It is found in several common kitchen herbs.
I hope I live to see the day when cooler heads prevail, and Absinthe is again available. It is no more dangerous than the easily obtained Absolut 50%.
Don't get me started. I wrote about this here
You can learn a great deal of better information (with a forum) here.

Correct!, the main mind-altering part of absinthe is the alcohol.

Thujone has turned out to be pretty much of a non-issue, careful scientific analysis has shown that much smaller amounts of it survive the distillation process than thought, you'd pass out from too much alcohol long before you could ingest enough thujone to even notice it. (If anyone ever could)

Fee Verte is a good resource along with Oxy's site, (He now owns Fee Verte too).

Scotrace, I hope you've had a chance to sample some of the other distilled brands besides the modern incarnation of Pernod. (Modern Pernod absinthe is just a shadow of it's former self)

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
St. Louis Bar B Que Ribbing...

Some people just get their feelings hurt so easily these days.

I have always heard that Absinthe would maka you craazy. When I was stationed on Okinawa, it was offered for sale in town, off base. We were all skeerd to get some 'cause 'they' had warned us that it had some stuff in it that would make us not pass a piss test. Some said it had Opium in it. Any I never tried it. I don't even know if it was any good or not.

Flitcraft

One Too Many
Wow!
Ejecting intestinal worms! Makes you look at those Pernod ads in a whole new way! :cheers1:

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
If it was some years back, what was probably on Okinawa was an old Japanese brand "Hermes" made by Suntory, which may not have actually been a real absinthe.

There isn't anything in absinthe that would make one fail a "p-test", it's main physical effect is said to be a feeling of mild clarity (That many do not even notice) before the alcohol catches up with you.

Since it is an aperitif, the most prominent effect I've noticed, is that it will make you hungry, so a decent steak would be in order after a few glasses.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
All Academic

I've never had the chance to try Absinthe at all!
I just really resent not being permitted to have some for no good reason.
There is no supportable reason for banning Absinthe based on an argument that Thujone is harmful.
It's the libertarian in me surfacing now and then. :)
My interest (for now) in Absinthe is for the ceremony of the drink, the considerable history which is tightly bound with French impressionism, and because I'd like to import it and make money.

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
Obtaining it is fairly easy, somewhat like getting cigars from that small island off of FL.

Unfortunately, until a large liquor company can see enough profit to go through the red tape with the FDA to get the ban lifted, there is little chance of any change.
The USA isn't a great consumer of anise based liquors, so the reality is that the market share for absinthe will be quite small, compared to the considerable expense of getting the FDA regs changed.

The ceremony, or ritual of the drink is quite fascinating, I have a nice collection of antique glasses, spoons, toppette's, sugar cube plates, and all the bistro hardware that goes with serving the drink, it's a nice way to get away from the everyday crazyness, slow down, and watch the green stuff turn to opal.

I'll have to read up on how to post a photo.

farnham54

A-List Customer
I've had several types of Absinthe when I was in Prague--2 of the 3 were absolute CRAP. Tasted something horrible. The third though, which we (me and my fellow hostellers) got only by some smooth talking and a long walk down a dark alley to a private bar, was actually rather nice--well, if you like the taste. The first two incarnations were disgusting, really off putting. But it wasn't disgustingly undrinkable! It certainly is strong alcohol, though.

After one particularily bad night, I consumed about 700 ml of it all by my lonesome in FAR too short of time. Soon after, things get a bit fuzzy. I did wake up in my own bed...but thats about all I know! :S:D It was a good memory, though, as much of the activity was caught on camera.

Note: Before shakin your collective heads at my irresponsibility, I'm only 19 :D Ergo, I'm allowed a few nights like that!

j/k

Cheers
Craig

farnham54 said:
After one particularily bad night, I consumed about 700 ml of it all by my lonesome in FAR too short of time. Soon after, things get a bit fuzzy. I did wake up in my own bed...but thats about all I know! :S:D It was a good memory, though, as much of the activity was caught on camera.

Well, at least you woke up in your own bed. ;) :p Things get scary when you do not know where you are or how to get out. :beer:
Suffice it to say that I have tried it and know what you mean. ;)

Regards to all,

J

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
Virtually all of the Czech made "Absinth" (their spelling) is pretty dreadful, with Sebor and a new one called Cami being somewhat drinkable. (I wouldn't drink any Czech brand)

The best French brand is the Jade Liqueurs brand, which is distilled in Samur France by an American scientist that has analyzed several vintage brands. The Combier Distillery where Jade is made, uses the original Pernod Fils Alambic stills from the 1800's that made the original Pernod absinthe.

The Swiss just lifted their longtime ban, and are allowing the bootleggers to sell legally as long as they get a license, and purchase their base alcohol from the Swiss govt.

Almost all of the Swiss made absinthe is pretty good, and getting better, the French makers are learning too, but a little miffed that an American flys over there, and makes a better product than a native frenchman.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Absinthe

Boy, would I like to get hold of a bottle...

Jagermeister is finding popularity with the young set. This is a small midwestern city, and local bars have Jagermeister on tap. There are Jagermeister nights, etc.

Tastes like Nyquil, but I don't find it unpleasant.

ClintonHammond

Suspended
Absinthe... schnapps... Jagermeister....

Shudder... never found much use for any of the above... Jager is mostly for frat-boys in ball-caps who don't know better... schnapps seems to be consumed mostly by women around here... and Absinthe... the ones I've tried, I just didn't much like... Could be I've yet to try a decent one...

I'll stick to a good pint of Guinness, and maybe a shot of Tully every now and again...

And well, for sippin', an occasional Lagavulin or Laphroaig over 1 or 2 small ice-cubes thanks...

Oh ya... Someone mentioned it above, I happen to LOVE black licorice!

:)

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
A decent absinthe doesn't have an overpowering "black jelly bean" taste, it is an anise base drink though, so if one doesn't like anise, it may not be to everyone's taste.

The cheaper brands that are reminiscent of black jelly beans, or it's milder cousin Pastis, are made from steam extracted essences, and use quite a bit of star anise oil, which is much more acrid than green aniseed.

An inexpensive way to find if you like anise based liquors is to try a bottle of Arak, and prepare it like a glass of absinthe with three parts ice cold water to one shot of Arak.

Most decent liquor stores carry Arak, and it's reminiscent of some of the Swiss absinthe blanches, though not quite as herbal, since it's just distilled anise in a good wine spirit, but it makes a good drink for those that want to experiment with something not quite as expensive as a bottle of absinthe.

farnham54

A-List Customer
Absinth_1900,

The third brand I tried, I don't recall the name, but the gent offering DID make a point of telling us it was a "very rare import"--so not a Czech brand. It cost quite a few crown---450 to be roughly estimated (about 20 US dollars a drink)---but oh boy was it nice!

Cheers
Craig

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points