• Welcome to The Fedora Lounge!

Discussion in 'General Attire & Accoutrements' started by The real Henry, May 28, 2007.

1. The real Henry

The real Henry Practically Family

I just finished this 1930s collar for a 10$ shirt I bought at the local supermarket. I think the spread is a bit too wide, but apart from that I'm pleased with the result.

What do you think?

2. I think Wow!
    Did you modify an existing collar or totally replace it??
  3. The real Henry

I totally replaced it.
  4. I know next to nothing about suits, collars, what have you, but I love your look! :)
  5. Great job.
    As you mentioned, the spread is a bit wide but the result is extremely impressive! :eusa_clap
  6. The real Henry

Thanks much for your compliments!
  7. How long is the collar?
  8. The real Henry

It's a bit more than 3 1/2 inch.

9. Great job Henry. :eusa_clap Very resourceful. If the collar spread is too wide,...then a larger knot in the tie would compensate I think?
  10. scotrace

scotrace Head Bartender Staff Member

When you do the next one, would you do a step-by-step photo shoot please?

That looks great and I'd like to learn how! :)
  11. Rafter

Rafter Suspended

I have a similiar heringbone tweed sports jacket.
    Never thought of wearing it with such a shirt collar.
    It gives the jacket a very 30's retro-look. Is the tie "vintage"?
  12. The real Henry

That may be because it IS 1930s!:p lol

The tie is a 1920s rayon(I think) one.

@Maj.Nick Danger: Too bad I hate big knots.;) Seriously, I think a collar bar will work great.

@scotrace: No problem.

13. Dagwood

Dagwood Practically Family

I really, really like the collar length. I look forward to your step-by-step instructions.
  14. Tomasso

Tomasso Incurably Addicted

I applaud your effort.

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

IMO, you would benefit greatly from a significantly higher collar stand/band.

15. The real Henry

Actually, I had to make it lower, because the collar is, like vintage ones, pretty narrow in the back.
  16. Nice work, Henrik!

17. Have you done any other sewing work before this? I'd like to try that myself,but I don't have any experience at that sort of thing. You did a good job!
  18. Dutch McCoy

Dutch McCoy One of the Regulars

I think you did a fantastic job. I know almost nothing about sewing and the sort but this looks great. I would also appreciate a step by step if you are up to it.
  19. The real Henry

Here you are:

I'd say just get you a sewing machine and try it. I used old pants and shirts for practicing, just to sew some things together to test the different options of thr seam lenght and width. That's all I did and if you're not all thumbs you'll soon be able to get some results.

BTW- I think I'll other things first before I make the next collar, but when I do so, you can be sure I'll post the promised step by step description, because I doupt I can tell you how do it without any pics.

20. The collar looks nice! I agree that the spread is a little wide, but a half-windsor knot on a vintage wide tie may fill up the space, like somebody already mentioned.
    I also like your new haircut!