Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ADAM ALLEY

chilidawgguy

New in Town
Doc...I found that link last night. Ask Jeeves brings up more hits on Adam Hats than the other search engines. An interesting thing I found was that one of the things that finally brought down Sen. Joe McCarthy(a notorious hat wearer), was Adam Hats decision to withdraw their advertising from his weekly radio show. The hats were also the lid of choice for many musicians of the 30s and 40s, both black and white. There are some cool pictures out there online.

D. Hats

One of the Regulars
Three Adams and...

I've often wondered the same thing... Hmmm, how come no one's bidding?

Anyhow, the three I have are very nice hats, obviously not a Whippet, or Royal Deluxe, but they definitely fit into the routine.

Very Cool Link Doctor Strange !! :cool:

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Adam: First Name in Hats

Well, alphabetically, anyhow...

jamespowers said:
You don't really see many around to compare because Adam hats were usually worn to the point that they were used up. (...) Finding one of them in a larger size, wide brim and in good condition is nearly impossible. They were worn and those people really got their money's worth. :D

Regards,

J

I guess mine must be a survivor!

What I love about it is that the felt isn't floppy, but is very pliable. It seems to hold any shape I try to put in it! Examples:

Tony in Tarzana

I was inspired by that Robert Benchley Stetson ad, that shows him wearing a hat with the brim down in front, down all around, and up all around. Down all around is actually a pretty decent look, and this Adam is flexible enough for it.

I'm especially intrigued by the diamond crown, and this one seems to take it well. It started out as a center dent with no pinch, but the diamond crown took about ten seconds with the fingertips.

DOUGLAS

I have not been able to find a nice Adam hat. I have just one Adam Homberg and that's it. The one you have is very cool.

Tony in Tarzana said:
I was inspired by that Robert Benchley Stetson ad, that shows him wearing a hat with the brim down in front, down all around, and up all around. Down all around is actually a pretty decent look, and this Adam is flexible enough for it.

I'm especially intrigued by the diamond crown, and this one seems to take it well. It started out as a center dent with no pinch, but the diamond crown took about ten seconds with the fingertips.

Ah, the Stetson Three Way hat ad from 1943? ;) I like that ad as well. I could never find a Three Way to fit me though. :cry:
Your Adam Executive is a real survivor. It made it through in great shape. :eusa_clap
Sometimes I wonder if men didn't buy hats like Champs and Adams for everyday wear and then more expensive hats for special occassion wear. That would explain the trouble finding an Adam or Champ from the 40s-50s in decent shape. [huh]

Regards,

J

Tony in Tarzana

That's what amazes me, too. Often you'll see a pristine hat on eBay with a beat-up box, like my grey Stetson Royal Deluxe Homburg. It must have sat on shelves in closets for maybe 60 years, almost never worn.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Nice Lid Tony!:eusa_clap
Does it have the sweat barrier (membrane) between the sweat band and the hat? I have one of the Premiers and it is a total joy to wear.

Cheers!

Dan

PutALidOnIt

One of the Regulars
I have a couple of Adams, and the brown one is easily as nice as any of my Royal Stetsons, at least for comfort and feel. The felt is firm but pliable, and seems to behave much like the Resistols, buit feel much lighter (cheaper??). How did they grade their quality levels - Superb, Majestic, etc?? The hatters must have run out of royalty and superlatives for names back in the day...

Anyway for those bold enough to look, here are a couple of images. The black one is a regular bound-brim fedora, but has the dimensions of a homburg; almost stingy at 2 1/4" and looks as tall as it is wide - and a decent-sized ribbon about the perimeter. The brown one is in my top 5 favorites - 'nuff said. Ignore the ugly mug...

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a327/surfnjoe/Fedoras/Adamblack.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a327/surfnjoe/Fedoras/Adamblackliner.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a327/surfnjoe/Fedoras/Adambrown.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a327/surfnjoe/Fedoras/Adambrownlinersm.jpg

PutALidOnIt

One of the Regulars
Oh, yeah...and...

Tony, is there a hat that you don't look good in??? :eusa_clap

If this keeps up, I will have to grow a VanDyke and get a few more hombergs...[huh]

feltfan said:
That liner logo is hilarious. It's a boldface
lift of the Stetson logo of the time!

It certainly has the shape of the 30s Stetson logo--except without the London, New York etc around the outside of it. :D

Adamblackliner.jpg

as opposed to:
StetsonDerby19301s.jpg

Regards,

J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Takatāpui