Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Adventure! Fedora Lounge Folks in Action!

Mr. Godfrey

Practically Family
I can't compete with the great outdoors of the Americas or classic firearms like the Hi-Power (European laws being what they are...), but this is as close to hunting I get... Walked a field archery course with a mate the other day and scored a hit on this plastic turkey (the real-life version is not found in our woods). My gear and clothes again inspired by Horace Kephart. I realise that shot would probably not have killed a real turkey, but not too bad at around 20 metres through the trees...

View attachment 34657

I know that roving the woods "playing" at hunting might seem pointless to many of you who put real game into their larders, but hey, it gets you out of the house and into the woods.
Kind regards,
Philipp

I'm with you on that one, use a longbow myself, like using a primitive tool and so every shot is never the same, also like using Iron sights when using a rifle rather than a scope and bi-pod but hey different strokes for different folks, eh

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I spent some time in the woods yesterday doing some hiking and exploring a new trail. Instead of posting in the thread “Adventure! Fedora Lounge Folks in Action!” I almost had to post in a new thread, “Adventure! Fedora Lounge Folks OUT OF Action!”

While doing a bit of bushwhacking trying to find a good trail, I slipped and fell. It was one of those slooooooow moooootion kind of falls, where you feel like you have all the time in the world to know that you are going to hit hard. If any of you felt an earthquake around 3:00 pm yesterday, then that was me falling. I am willing to bet it registered 7.5 on the Richter Scale. That big rock in the photo didn’t have that huge crack in it until I fell and split it into (or at least that’s how it felt). Other than the fall, which by great fortune I did not get injured, the hike was great. I got to see some new territory and discovered a grand new place where I plan on going back to in a month or so and making a camp.

It’s always a good day when you can get out in the woods and enjoy God’s wonderful creation.

Renault

One Too Many
Be careful Mr. B!!!! Glad you are okay!!!

All I've been doing is working on new shop. And it is still hot!!!

Heathfox!!! Post more of your adventures!!! Looking good!

Mr. Godfrey. How about some pics of that bow of your somewhere here?

Would like to see it!!

Last edited:

Oldsarge

One Too Many
Renault, what kind of shop are you constructing? I'm finally recovered enough from December to be ready to get back into mine. I still have a couple of cabinets to finish and then I can restart work on my sporterized Krag. First it needs magnafluxing to make sure there are no hidden cracks and then I'll have it de-chromed, rebarreled and blued. Know any good stockmakers who would take a semi-inletted stock and make a gun of it?

Big Man -- glad you were able to bounce back up uninjured. Looks like a beautiful area to hike.

The last time I fell in the woods I got a large stick caught between my legs while going downhill. I tucked and rolled and came up laughing. It was as if I had stuck the landing on a tumbling routine. I only wish someone could have seen it.

Renault

One Too Many
Renault, what kind of shop are you constructing? I'm finally recovered enough from December to be ready to get back into mine. I still have a couple of cabinets to finish and then I can restart work on my sporterized Krag. First it needs magnafluxing to make sure there are no hidden cracks and then I'll have it de-chromed, rebarreled and blued. Know any good stockmakers who would take a semi-inletted stock and make a gun of it?

Just 40' conex box. Shop and storage. Got about 1/2 interior framed. Hope to start insulating and hanging plywood walls next week. This Heat will wear you out!
Don't know any stock makers right off hand.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Mr. Godfrey,

If I may, the last time I looked I believe that book was still in print paperback, and available on Amazon! Kind of an early "how-to" book and storied of his experiences.

Good luck.
I only just now saw this. Looks like another book will be on my shelf soon. :)

Renault

One Too Many
Well there wasn't much action, but the oldest son and I went up to the ranch yesterday where I was practically raised. My old childhood compadre still ranches a little as his health permits. We went up for a visit and to talk old buffalo rifles and such. Loading them and different galena pills to feed em! His wife snapped this photo of "Los tres malos" before our departure!

Renault

One Too Many
Thanks Paddy! We have been close friends since we were both 12 years old!!! And we're both pushing real close to 60 now. We've experienced many adventures on that ranch!!!

Mr. Godfrey

Practically Family
Well there wasn't much action, but the oldest son and I went up to the ranch yesterday where I was practically raised. My old childhood compadre still ranches a little as his health permits. We went up for a visit and to talk old buffalo rifles and such. Loading them and different galena pills to feed em! His wife snapped this photo of "Los tres malos" before our departure!

"The Wild Bunch!" ;) nice looking rifles there my friend. You must be proud of you son, fine strapping chap and sporting decent headwear, you have raised him well.

L'Onset

Familiar Face
Having lunch somewhere in Burkina Faso
IMG_20150720_0038_NEW.jpg

L'Onset

Familiar Face
On top of "Tuc de Mulleres" on the Pyrenees. We used to call this picture "La bruja, el monstruo y el capitan araña" i.e.: "the witch, the monster and captain spider", I don't know exactly why.

IMG_20150628_0003.jpg

greatestescaper

One of the Regulars
I spent this last summer doing volunteering as an interp ranger at Fort Davis National Historic Site in Fort Davis, Texas. Pictured is myself (guidon bearer) and my buddy Hank in full trooper gear (well, that is to say if we were on patrol. We're not wearing the heavy wool dress blouse). Also picutred is Hank and I in all our John Ford Cavalry glory...much to the boss's dismay. On our last day of service we got duded up in bib-front shirt, yellow ribbons, and marched on Park Headquarters to present the boss with his very own Yellow Ribbon. After a good laugh he hung the ribbon in his office. Much like the famous leg lamp, we consider it a major award.

12046592_1185373718145850_1884142960337669730_n_zpsxd36yptv.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points