Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Adventure! Fedora Lounge Folks in Action!

StraightEight

One of the Regulars
[QUOTEI've seen those rooftop tents, and always wondered about them. Are they convenient and comfortable? Seems like it would get you up into the breeze a bit more, if nothing else.][/QUOTE]

In our opinion the pros far outweigh the cons.

Pros are the tent is off the ground so there's no chill effect from ground dampness, and it weighs 140 lbs and is anchored to the truck so there's never a fear of it blowing away. It's made of heavy canvas and thick aluminum bar stock with a stout plywood floor, compared to the thin nylon of backpacker's tents, so it really warms up inside and holds its shape in the wind. Our first all-day rain was at Yosemite and the tent proved completely waterproof, unlike ground tents which tend to get soaked by the little rivers that run through the campsite. We recently camped at the Bryce Canyon rim, 8000 feet, and got a snow storm overnight, but we were warm and comfortable under just a down comforter. Plus it's dark inside, great for non-morning people. We've slept through many a sunrise, woke up wondering what time it is, cracked the zipper only to be surprised by the beam of sharp sunlight that lasers through. Full setup is a snap and takes a max of 10 minutes (if I put all the stanchions in the windows). No fussing with feeding the bungee-poles through loops. The tent opens like a book. You just pull out the ladder and pull down, and up she goes. It comes with a foam mattress that folds and stores with the tent, and it's quite comfortable. We don't bother with sleeping bags, just throw in regular bedding. A sheet and a down comforter suffices for most situations.

The cons are that it's expensive, around $1400 mounted as I recall. Getting up in the middle of the night to pee is a bit more of a process because you have to climb down the ladder. Taking off and putting on the weather cover for driving is something of a pain, especially when you're tired. It probably cuts fuel economy by about 1-2 mpg (the Montero was getting 21 mpg on long highway stints and now the best I can do is about 19). There's some extra wind noise at 65 mph. Once it's securely mounted on the roof, it doesn't really want to come off, so the truck's practicality as a daily driver is reduced. Also, you have to be careful with parking structures. We pretty much use the Montero like most people use an RV. It sits around until we go camping or need it to haul stuff or tow the race car.

Below is a picture of our current setup in the Orocopia Mountains. I bought the truck, a '95, 3 years ago with 97,000 miles. All-up, tent and sun shade included, I have about $7000 invested. Not bad for a go-anywhere camping setup which we definitely use more often because it's quite comfortable and convenient.

Here is the US distributor for the tent:

http://www.equipt1.com/h/

IMG_2314.jpg

Scuffy

One of the Regulars
Gatsby84 said:
Mojave Jack, in his original post, mentioned something about the Badlands of South Dakota. I worked there on a paleo dig a few years ago and got to take a lot of photographs. Here are a (very) few of them.

DSCN0002.jpg

DSCN2816.jpg

DSCN2837.jpg

I'm particularly proud of this one:
DSCN0426.jpg

Enjoy,
-Allen

Hey Allen! Were ya at the Pig Dig? What about the goings on towards the Res around Stronghold Table? My girlfriend and I have spend countless trips to South Dakota just to explore the Badlands and stay in Wall at the Sleepy Hollow Campground. Great place and great memories!

The last time we were out there was around this time of year and we helped catch a quarter horse that had gotten away from it's rider in the rodeo in Wall. As we were trying to corral it two other mounted cowboys came galloping at full speed down the main street with lassos and all to catch the mare. Fun stuff! Unfortunately we didn't have the time to grab our cameras. :(

Jake

Story

I'll Lock Up
splatt said:
I spent just over 5 months traveling across Europe Zaika stopping at a great castle along the way.

Neuschwanstein Castle in Bavaria (southern Germany).
europe-026.jpg

I was there in April 1999! Sick as a dog, but made it up the switchback road in heavy fog and flurries. The hot chocolate halfway up helped.

If you haven't visited this place, the Wagnerian meter is off the charts.

zaika

One Too Many
i recently had an adventure! on my road trip from portland, or to lexington, ky my car broke down! yaaaay! fun stuff. i dunno...being stuck out in bear country in wyoming with absolutely no cell phone reception and no people passing by was a hoot.

lol

luckily we were able to get picked up by a dude in a truck and hauled to a town with a tow truck and a hotel.

i am such a city girl...my farmer/rural ancestors would be a ashamed of me.

pictures should be coming in a week or two as i snapped off a few rounds of film with my brownie hawkeye and my spartus full vue.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
zaika said:
pictures should be coming in a week or two as i snapped off a few rounds of film with my brownie hawkeye and my spartus full vue.

Looking forward to viewing these 'ancient' images.

Gatsby84

Familiar Face
Scuffy,
Yeah, I was working at the Pig Dig. It was a lot of fun and I'd do it again, but they only let the students work there and I'm not a student anymore. I don't know exactly what's going on towards the Res and Stronghold Table... all I know is that tensions are still pretty high.
-Allen

splatt

One of the Regulars
In late 2001, i purchased a Land Rover Discovery and then took of for a week long solo trip from Sydney into the Australian outback.

I grew up in the Australian mountains so i wasn't to sure how i would react to the Australian outback and the desert regions...lets just say that i've been back many times since then and even travelled further. My largest trip covered close to 20,000km (around 12,500 mi) and lasted for about three weeks. For five of those days i didn't see or hear another person...only a few goanna's, snakes and feral camels.

Below is a small selection of the photos from the first trip in 2001.

The pub (hotel) at the tiny township of Silverton near the border of the states of New South Wales and South Australia.
230875834_e7ce8c06ef.jpg

The Waka Claypan in the Sturt National Park
230876887_f588a62e0d.jpg

The top of the pole that marks Cameron Corner, the location where three of the Australian states meet.
230877573_2f60bbcbe7.jpg

Part of the 5,320 km (3,306 mi) long Dingo Fence at Cameron Corner. Its designed to keep dingo's (wild dogs) out of grazing areas.
230877278_3462d13d19.jpg

Sand dues on the edge of the Strzelecki Desert
230877875_b6c019fc65.jpg

The location where Robert O'Hara Burke died on Coopers Creek. He was the leader of the ill-fated Burke & Wills Expedition that were the first to cross Australia from South to North.
230878090_a973fd9cf8.jpg

A road to nowhere...it actually leads into the Strzelecki Desert.
230878728_6d4e71c575.jpg

Lake Hart - A huge salt lake which is part of the Woomera Prohibited Area near the old defence township of Woomera. The northern edges of the lake were also used during Australia's early space program when Australia was the fourth country to launch a satellite (WRESAT) into space.
230881169_89049bdfc6.jpg

Some of the rockets on display at the Woomera Rocket Park. The area is still the home of the Woomera Test Facility (Instrumented Range)
230879973_333bc8837a.jpg

The remains (now gone) of the NASA Island Lagoon base which was the first deep space station to be established outside of the United States.
230882747_292c02231d.jpg

zaika

One Too Many
splatt those are some great photos!!! really makes me want to come for a visit.

although...i just watched "wolf creek" and i'm less eager to visit than before.

lol j/k

splatt

One of the Regulars
zaika said:
splatt those are some great photos!!! really makes me want to come for a visit.

although...i just watched "wolf creek" and i'm less eager to visit than before.

lol j/k

It certainly is a stunning part of our huge country zaike :)

On one of my outback trips, i actually camped at the Wolfe Creek crater campsite, which is where the start of the movie occurs.

Luckily...it turns out the movie is loosely based on various events that happened around Australia and not anything specific at Wolf Creek :eek:

zaika

One Too Many
splatt said:
It certainly is a stunning part of our huge country zaike :)

On one of my outback trips, i actually camped at the Wolfe Creek crater campsite, which is where the start of the movie occurs.

Luckily...it turns out the movie is loosely based on various events that happened around Australia and not anything specific at Wolf Creek :eek:

i love the look of the red earth...it's just so surreal. i'm reading bill bryson's "in a sunburned country" and it's got me all excited to make a trip there. except for the hoards of animals and insects and stuff that can kill you. lol lol lol maybe when the time comes i'll pick your brain about the must-sees of the outback and how NOT to get stuck out there. :eek:

my aussie friend (she's from melbourne) is the one who made me watch wolf creek and told me it was based on a few real crimes. she lent me a book (embarrassingly i haven't even picked it up yet) about one of them...i can't remember which one.

splatt

One of the Regulars
zaika said:
i love the look of the red earth...it's just so surreal. i'm reading bill bryson's "in a sunburned country" and it's got me all excited to make a trip there. except for the hoards of animals and insects and stuff that can kill you. lol lol lol maybe when the time comes i'll pick your brain about the must-sees of the outback and how NOT to get stuck out there. :eek:

my aussie friend (she's from melbourne) is the one who made me watch wolf creek and told me it was based on a few real crimes. she lent me a book (embarrassingly i haven't even picked it up yet) about one of them...i can't remember which one.

Happy to give you some pointers on the "must-sees of the outback" zaike when you decide to visit us downunder.

And for those of you that think Australia is only full of cuddly creatures like the Koala, here are a few of our nasties:

Inland Taipan (aka the Fierce snake)
From wikipedia - Being the most venomous snake in the world, a single bite from the Inland Taipan contains enough venom to kill as many as 100 human adults or 250,000 mice.[3] The average venom yield of this snake is 44 mg, with a yield of 110 mg being the largest recorded. Its venom is 50 times more toxic than that of the Indian Cobra and 650–850 times more toxic than that of a Western or Eastern Diamondback. The Inland Taipan has an extremely neurotoxic venom that can kill an adult human in as little as 45 minutes.

Eastern Brown Snake
From wikipedia - The second most venomous land snake in the world.

The Box Jellyfish
From wikipedia - Box jellyfish venom is the most deadly in the animal kingdom and has caused at least 5,567 recorded deaths since 1954. Box jellyfish are abundant in the warm waters of northern Australia.

Irukandji (A Jellyfish)
From wikipedia - Irukandji syndrome is produced by a very small amount of venom and includes severe pains at various parts of the body (typically excruciating muscle cramps in the arms and legs, severe pain in the back and kidneys, and a burning sensation of the skin and face), headaches, nausea, restlessness, sweating, vomiting, high heart rate and blood pressure.

Salt Water Crocodile
From wikiepedia - Found in Northern Australia, an adult male saltwater crocodile can grow 20 feet (6 meters) long, and weigh more than 1000 kilograms (2,200 pounds). Most attacks by adult "salties" (Salt Water Crocodiles) are fatal, given the animals' size and strength. In Australia, attacks are rare and usually make headlines when they do occur. There are, on average, no more than one or two fatal attacks reported per year in the country.

Blue Ring Octopus
From wikipedia - The blue-ringed octopus is the size of a golf ball, but its venom is powerful enough to kill humans. There is no known antidote.

Stone Fish
From wikipedia - They are the most venomous known fish in the world.

Red Back Spider
From wikipedia - Considered one of the most dangerous spiders in Australia, although only about 20% of bite victims require treatment.

Tiger Snake
From wikipedia - Ranked amongst the deadliest snakes in the world, and while antivenom is effective, mortality rates approach 45% if not treated.

Great White Shark
From wikipedia - Reaching lengths of more than 6 m (20 ft) and weighing up to 2,250 kg (5,000 lb), the great white shark is the world's largest known predatory fish. Great white sharks live in almost all coastal and offshore waters which have a water temperature of between 12 and 24° C (54° to 75° F), with greater concentrations off the southern coasts of Australia, off South Africa, California and Mexico's Isla Guadalupe.

Funnel Web Spider
From wikipedia - The primary range of the Australasian funnel-web spiders is the eastern coast of Australia and are probably one of the three most dangerous spiders in the world and are regarded by some to be the most dangerous.

So...with open arms, and hospitals at the ready, we welcome our international friends to experience the wonders of Australia ;)

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That's why I love living here in safe Alaska.

All we have are the occasional scared/angry bear and sometimes an annoyed moose.

Nothing poisonous, nothing with scales and nothing in the water. The only dangerous things are big, furry and not usually looking for a meal, just to be left alone.

It's like Disneyworld with fewer animatronics. :D

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
December 2007...Germany & Austria Christmas Market Tour...

Regensburg, in Bavaria. The Steinerne Brücke crossing the Danube,

GermanyChristmas2007071.jpg

GermanyChristmas2007069.jpg

Nuremberg, Christkindl Markt. Horse drawn carriage with Deutsche Post marking, and pretty Fräulein (vintage clothing?)

GermanyChristmas2007045.jpg

The weather was fantastic, but very cold. Thank God for Glühwein!

PS- Lucky Strike. Great pics. Where was your "hunt?"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto