Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice needed on new Aero Cafe Racer jacket

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
Do a weekend trip to Scotland, visit Edinburgh and Glasgow and somewhere in between, visit Aero. Aeros sizing is not 100% precise from jacket to jacket, measuring can always differ depending on who's holding the tape. You won't figure out your sizing problem online, you have to try on five different jackets and figure out which one fits you best and then measure it together with Aero and order a jacket with that measurement, whichever it is and whatever size label is later put onto it.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I couldn't agree more with Fanch in this case. Not only will you get to iron out the fit issue in person but you will also be able to see and try on jackets made up from the different hides you are considering.
The only downside that I have heard about going to Aero is that many people end up ordering two jackets instead of one!

sweetfights

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I find the cotton sateen lining makes a huge pleasurable difference in the ease of getting the jacket on and off. Drill adds to the difficulty when compounded by high arm holes.

Rich22

Practically Family
Almost two months ago I said "Since you live in London I would seriously consider a trip to Galashiels to try on jackets there to see what you need and what fits." At this point in time I would again repeat what I said in post #6.
As of the following wednesday I will live in southern China. Really. :eek: I've taken a contract that ties me down till early July.

Edit: I have been hoping to find time, but a 9-10 hour drive (each way) is no small commitment of time. Even if I'd flown, it would mean taking time off work, and that wasn't so simple for reasons that are now clearer. And yes, I still want a leather jacket even if I'm in a comparatively warmer climate for a few months :cool:

Last edited:

Rich22

Practically Family
I find the cotton sateen lining makes a huge pleasurable difference in the ease of getting the jacket on and off. Drill adds to the difficulty when compounded by high arm holes.
I received a sample of the sateen, and that'll definitely be in the arms.

Rich22

Practically Family
Man I'll take a stab at this but I can't promise any real accuracy in what I'm about to type. But this is my understanding. Let's say a size 42" CR has an acceptable p2p of 24" an acceptable margin of deviation of 1/2" means anything from 23.5" to 24.5" is within spec. Same with a 44" with an on spec of 25" p2p.
This same 1/2" deviation is applied across all the non-customizable areas (shoulders, hem)...it can get tricky however if a jacket is ordered in two sizes, i.e 42" tapered to a 40".
The board racer could be considered a premier pattern so it's automatically going to measure "a size down" from the standard CR pattern and apply the same 1/2" deviation rule.
Another possibility is that Aero and TB measure the jackets in a different way. I doubt it but I suppose it is possible. Since you've had a fit jacket and you know where you need additional room I'd use that as your baseline, communicate your needs with Aero and rest assured they will properly fit you up.

I totally get the half inch deviation thing with leather, but 100% of those jackets fall outside that deviation. Maybe those sizes Aero provided are the 'intended' sizes for the jackets, but they always deviate to consistantly varying amounts? I have wondered how Aero and Thurston's could measure PtP and shoulders, each finding one larger dimension and one smaller, but I can't see it.

Basically I don't want to order a jacket I may have to send back. If Aero make it to the list sizes provided it will not fit me well. If either a CR 44" or BR 46" matched Thurston's sizing, they would. I've mailed Aero, and even linked to this thread and the specific post about sizing, so we should be able to sort me out an awesome jacket in no time. I'm definitely not just winging on here and keeping them out of the loop!

Rich22

Practically Family
Do a weekend trip to Scotland, visit Edinburgh and Glasgow and somewhere in between, visit Aero. Aeros sizing is not 100% precise from jacket to jacket, measuring can always differ depending on who's holding the tape. You won't figure out your sizing problem online, you have to try on five different jackets and figure out which one fits you best and then measure it together with Aero and order a jacket with that measurement, whichever it is and whatever size label is later put onto it.
Between my own jackets and the fit jacket, I think I know what size I need, give or take half an inch. And after years of ignoring tag sizes due to vanity sizing from manufacturers, I'm not about to start caring about tag sizes now! 24.5-25" PtP and 19.25-20" should work for me. Waist opening, arm length and back length I also know. The one variable that leaves is fitting my fairly substantial arms in the sleeves and retaining movement. Perhaps it is time to do some measurements for that too.... I'm glad you made me think of that. :)

Edit: I'd still love to go to Aero's factory, but the calendar has worked against me, sadly. I know it's the best way, but I can't muster up the days out of thin air, not till next summer.

Oh, and by the time I flew myself and the missus up there and paid for a hotel and meals out for two days, that's the cost of the jacket doubled. :eek: Our flights to Athens not long ago were half the cost. :D

Last edited:

Mich486

One Too Many
You are overthinking it man [emoji6] seems you’ve done your research now it’s time to pull the trigger if you really want that jacket. If I learnt anything these past few years buying clothes online is that no matter how many measurements you take, it’ll never be like trying on the garment in person. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nick123

I'll Lock Up
So the arm thing, the inability to reach your head or into any pocket of the jacket, that's pretty normal at first?

I'll need the assistance of my other half for some fit pics, which I think will have to be tomorrow. I don't think selfies in the bedroom mirror is the way to go! haha!

Oh, and Google revealed that Americans tend to zip up on the 'wrong' side. Who'd a thunk it... But anyway, it seems to be something you can specify with Aero, to go with your continent's norms.

Yup, pretty normal. And reaching into pockets has never been a completely effortless task either in the heavier hides. But the jacket will soften up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points