Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice needed on new Aero Cafe Racer jacket

eugenesque

One of the Regulars
Last year around this time, I started planning a Board Racer jacket. Like me, you already got excellent advice from the senior members of this friendly board.

Here are a few more points:

I chose Italian HH and am happy with the weight, the texture and the way it drapes. It was hard to make this decision, as I quite like the photos of fully broken in FQHH jackets, not sure if Vicenza will age as nicely. Let’s see.

My BR has one internal pocket – without snap, because it is deep enough to hold a telephone or sunglasses and doesn’t show through. It is lined with the same soft moleskin, that is used for the handwarmer pockets. If I would order again, I would go with a right and a left inner pocket, just for balance.

I think handwarmer pockets look much better with zippers, especially if your jacket has zipped chest pockets. These pockets are not very deep, therefore a closure is practical if you plan to put your wallet in.

You can have BR or CR sleeves on your jacket. I have CR sleeves on a BR jacket (@Fanch would like this). I prefer having the zipper at the back, covered by leather; it's more understated.

It’s worth thinking about tartan as lining. Have a look at the Loch Carron website, there is a huge selection and most of them come in three weights reiver weight is soft and smooth, colours in this weight are more vibrant, braeriach is a mid weight and strome is a proper kilt fabric. I am quite happy with a lining in braeriach; it will be warm enough for spring, autumn and most of winter here in the South of the UK.

Have you already thought about the kind of zippers you would like?

I visited the Aero Factory and that’s what I recommend you to do. In the UK, we have the benefit of living relatively close to Edinburgh. It’s just an hour and a half from London and it’s easy to find a cheap flight. I had things to do in Edinburgh anyway, but planning my jacket with Denny, trying on jackets, handling the material and visiting the Factory alone would have been worth the trip.

You might want to have a look at my old thread:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/before-getting-an-aero-board-racer-things-to-consider.86700/
I wish I read this thread before I made my recent order. Though everything came out fine, it would have saved me a few jitters in anticipation of the final product. I never knew that Aero had ykk zippers. I generally feel ykk is better but I understand talon is more period accurate. Regardless I would prefer antique brass. OP might want to consider choice and colours of zippers too.

Bullitt

New in Town
I never knew that Aero had ykk zippers. I generally feel ykk is better but I understand talon is more period accurate.

They don’t offer a modern YKK two way zipper. This was a misunderstanding. Some time ago, they used a model produced by YKK, that is similar to the usual Talon. They still had a few left when I visited the Factory last year; Denny offered to use one for my jacket, but I preferred a Talon. Hookless is a great option too.

Rich22

Practically Family
The sleeve zips on both of my Sheenes are unobtrusive and have never rubbed against anything due to the HH welts. You pays your money and makes your choice as they say ...
The leather welts are very nice, I'd want them even if I move the zipper around

eugenesque

One of the Regulars
They don’t offer a modern YKK two way zipper. This was a misunderstanding. Some time ago, they used a model produced by YKK, that is similar to the usual Talon. They still had a few left when I visited the Factory last year; Denny offered to use one for my jacket, but I preferred a Talon. Hookless is a great option too.
Ahh thanks for the clarification!

Rich22

Practically Family
Last year around this time, I started planning a Board Racer jacket. Like me, you already got excellent advice from the senior members of this friendly board.

Here are a few more points:

I chose Italian HH and am happy with the weight, the texture and the way it drapes. It was hard to make this decision, as I quite like the photos of fully broken in FQHH jackets, not sure if Vicenza will age as nicely. Let’s see.

My BR has one internal pocket – without snap, because it is deep enough to hold a telephone or sunglasses and doesn’t show through. It is lined with the same soft moleskin, that is used for the handwarmer pockets. If I would order again, I would go with a right and a left inner pocket, just for balance.

I think handwarmer pockets look much better with zippers, especially if your jacket has zipped chest pockets. These pockets are not very deep, therefore a closure is practical if you plan to put your wallet in.

You can have BR or CR sleeves on your jacket. I have CR sleeves on a BR jacket (@Fanch would like this). I prefer having the zipper at the back, covered by leather; it's more understated.

It’s worth thinking about tartan as lining. Have a look at the Loch Carron website, there is a huge selection and most of them come in three weights reiver weight is soft and smooth, colours in this weight are more vibrant, braeriach is a mid weight and strome is a proper kilt fabric. I am quite happy with a lining in braeriach; it will be warm enough for spring, autumn and most of winter here in the South of the UK.

I visited the Aero Factory and that’s what I recommend you to do. In the UK, we have the benefit of living relatively close to Edinburgh. It’s just an hour and a half from London and it’s easy to find a cheap flight. I had things to do in Edinburgh anyway, but planning my jacket with Denny, trying on jackets, handling the material and visiting the Factory alone would have been worth the trip.

You might want to have a look at my old thread:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/before-getting-an-aero-board-racer-things-to-consider.86700/
Thanks for the great reply! Your old thread was very useful to read too. Do you still have the pictures by the way? It seemed a pity not to be able to see them after reading your process of speccing the jacket. I'll write a proper reply when I'm back home in a couple of hours. Cheers! :)

Rich22

Practically Family
OP might want to consider choice and colours of zippers too.
Slightly worried when I read various negatives about quick failures on Talon zips, but I'd hope Aero choose nice ones, same as YKK make poor ones and good ones. Colour wise I'm torn between brass and antique brass, it's a choice between shiny and garish or plain isn't it, somewhere in between would be ideal.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
The leather welts are very nice, I'd want them even if I move the zipper around
As far as I know leather welts are present on all of Aero's zippered stuff, including zippered hand warmer pockets, sleeves, chest pockets, and of course the jacket zippers. The main thing I like about zippers located behind the sleeves rather than in front relates to a cleaner, less obstrusive look, at least to my eyes.

I found I wear my Sheenes with the sleeve zippers in the unzipped position and rarely touch the zips at all. I even removed the HH toggles and placed then inside the chest pocket that I never use either. I will say that if I used a leather jackets for riding I well might go with sleeve zippers in the front for better ease of use.

I have been enamored with motorcycles, airplanes, and sports cars since I was a teenager, and before I was 21 had motorcycle and airplane licenses, and had owned an Austin Healey 3000. Sadly for many years I had given up all three but still dream and fantasize though.

eugenesque

One of the Regulars
Slightly worried when I read various negatives about quick failures on Talon zips, but I'd hope Aero choose nice ones, same as YKK make poor ones and good ones. Colour wise I'm torn between brass and antique brass, it's a choice between shiny and garish or plain isn't it, somewhere in between would be ideal.

I think talon zippers can be slightly stiffer and may take some getting used to. I personally prefer antique brass because it looks nicely aged but not too overly vintage.

Woodyear

Familiar Face
I think these are Board Racers. Absence of shoulder gussets, back seam and collar suggest so.

They do look more like it, but are sold as "Cafe Racers". Odd! I like the name Board Racer better, brings up fever mental images of obese people in diners. ;)

Yeap those are board racers. Bottoms are flared as zippers don't go all the way down. I think that's something you may want to consider because the flaring thing may not be to everyone's liking. Though I ordered the board racer and customed the zipper to go all the way to the bottom so that it wouldn't flare.

Nah, they're cafe racers. Note the side panels which board racers do not have. They're just specced out with zippers on the top and the main zip moved up a tad. You can specify those features on any jacket aero make without much hassle. Same goes for shoulder gussets.

Nah, they're cafe racers. Note the side panels which board racers do not have. They're just specced out with zippers on the top and the main zip moved up a tad. You can specify those features on any jacket aero make without much hassle. Same goes for shoulder gussets.

Good eye. Side panels and the vents. Yeah, they're CR's just made like BR's.

Rich22

Practically Family
The CXL HH ages in quite a 'scruffy' way, developing a lot of patina and creases and looking very casual. The Vicenza HH may show less character but also provide a 'dressier' look.

For external balance? Because it becomes visible? Or just for general symmetry?

Yeah, they to look better/cooler with zips. But they're not functional then as hand warmers, and I won't store stuff in them if they don't have zips. I like using hand warmers generally, so I think I'll sacrifice looks for functionality. Ideally there'd be a smooth, non-scratchy zipper, but everyone seems to conclude they're awfully scratchy.

The BR sleeves curve a bit more too, right? I wouldn't want that, but the positioning of the zipper seems preferable on the BR.

I lean towards wool as a superior fabric to cotton, unless it's directly in contact with the skin, so for the body it is my preference. I may just choose the cheapest option that lets them make it from cut offs to be honest, I don't care greatly how the interior looks, hence not minding the corduroy 'spoiling' the look of things. Haha.

Brass or antique brass for me, I just want them reliable and smooth mainly.

Thanks, that was a really good read. :)

Rich22

Practically Family
4265165729f85a6b_Cafe%20Racer%20Cuff-800.jpg

Aero_Board_Racer_Dark_Seal_Vicenza_Horsehide_29_size_38_sleeve_zip.jpg

Cafe Racer vs Board Racer zipper. I don't like the lack of the leather welt covering the zipper on the board racer.

Rich22

Practically Family
I spoke with Holly and she's happy to send me out a fit jacket... anyone else in the UK done this and found a sensibly priced way of returning it? With insurance the cheapest I found was £28. I was hoping more in line with the £12.50 they charge us.

4265165729f85a6b_Cafe%20Racer%20Cuff-800.jpg

Aero_Board_Racer_Dark_Seal_Vicenza_Horsehide_29_size_38_sleeve_zip.jpg

Cafe Racer vs Board Racer zipper. I don't like the lack of the leather welt covering the zipper on the board racer.

That's 'cause it's on top. You'll have hard time finding a zipper that's not in the seam and still has the welt. Early J100 had it but they soon dropped it. Maybe they could do a piping, though, like on the pockets.

Rich22

Practically Family
That's 'cause it's on top. You'll have hard time finding a zipper that's not in the seam and still has the welt. Early J100 had it but they soon dropped it. Maybe they could do a piping, though, like on the pockets.
Welt/piping, not sure on my leather terminology. I was thinking like the other zips, the extra leather added in to cover the zip up, for a uniform look.

Rich22

Practically Family
On the seam like that is definitely the neatest way of covering it up, looks very good.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Welt/piping, not sure on my leather terminology. I was thinking like the other zips, the extra leather added in to cover the zip up, for a uniform look.
I suppose you could call it either welt or piping. I suspect the zipper in the front is more functional for rapid use on a cycle and was designed without a welt for that purpose. To me the J-100 / Board Racer with zippers in the front definitely shows more "attitude" than others with zippers behind the sleeves.

Bullitt

New in Town
For external balance? Because it becomes visible? Or just for general symmetry?

Just for general symmetry, the pocket is not visible. I can feel it, but that's not a problem. Having two internal pockets wouldn't make the jacket better in any way, it's just a small rather unimportant detail. Caring about things on this level shows me how happy I am with the jacket in general.

Yeah, they to look better/cooler with zips. But they're not functional then as hand warmers, and I won't store stuff in them if they don't have zips. I like using hand warmers generally, so I think I'll sacrifice looks for functionality. Ideally there'd be a smooth, non-scratchy zipper, but everyone seems to conclude they're awfully scratchy.

Mine are not really scratchy.

I lean towards wool as a superior fabric to cotton, unless it's directly in contact with the skin, so for the body it is my preference. I may just choose the cheapest option that lets them make it from cut offs to be honest, I don't care greatly how the interior looks, hence not minding the corduroy 'spoiling' the look of things. Haha.

You can choose the regular stock option, thats tartans they always offer and therefore it's not a special order and a bit cheaper. Or, if you want to save more, you go for the budget option. Not sure how it works, you probably would have to ask what's available at the moment and then look up the design online.

Thanks, that was a really good read. :)

Glad this was helpful. Unfortunately Photobucket changed their business model and there are no more pictures. Will repost them when I find an alternative to PB.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21