Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aerial Star Vintage Leather Jackets - Official Affiliate Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

schitzo

Suspended
Hey Nick this leather looks really lovely. This is perhaps a dumb question but how wide is the knit at the waist? Is it bigger than usual?

Also, what's the length of your jacket? I guess it's no more than 27", possibly it's 26.5", am I warm?

I have no idea how this works.. but when I dabbled with this style I found that my formula is the bare minimum I can abide length wise for the leather alone + then add on the 2.5" wide knit. Which if memory serves is a 28.5" long jacket. And even then I thought another half inch wouldn't have been a bad thing

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I really like the design of this civi A-2, particularly the collar and the pockets. Although the sleeves tunnel at the moment they should improve through wear. You either need to wear trousers with a higher waistband or have an inch or so added to the bottom of the jacket to have the perfect fit IMO! ;)

Thanks Andrew. Agreed, the sleeves might be a but long at 27.5" but we'll see what happens when they crease up.
The trousers make a huge difference. The day I received it I had higher waisted jeans on and the bottom of the knit extended nearly an inch below the belt!
I think the russet shade is very interesting. Did any wartime A-2s color resemble it?

How much did it come to?
Roughly three payments of $200 USD so $600 or so. The third payment isn't due until January 2014.

Hey Nick this leather looks really lovely. This is perhaps a dumb question but how wide is the knit at the waist? Is it bigger than usual?

Also, what's the length of your jacket? I guess it's no more than 27", possibly it's 26.5", am I warm?

I have no idea how this works.. but when I dabbled with this style I found that my formula is the bare minimum I can abide length wise for the leather alone + then add on the 2.5" wide knit. Which if memory serves is a 28.5" long jacket. And even then I thought another half inch wouldn't have been a bad thing

Schitzo, the waist knit is wider than usual. I will have to measure when I get a chance. Trust me, I've already contemplated a possible worldwide economic collapse and Chris told me he'd be happy to sell replacement knits for the future. lol
And the jacket is short-only 25.5". Completely doable anyhow IMO and I think the A-2 looks best when it is short.
However, (I will list the cons for full transparency), the jacket ended up being made shorter than the 27" I spec'd. Chris called me before the jacket was shipped to let me know that he apologized and would let me return it for a remake if I ended up not liking it. Also, to give future customers reassurance, he is going to be harder on his jacket maker!
Another thing, is you may be asking yourself why I included no back shots, (which is important). Well, I decided to hold off for now because there is an unsightly horizontal crease from the jacket being folded in the box!
It should be back to normal in a few weeks' wear so I will show it then because the crease has nothing to do with the jacket.
I emailed to let Chris know of this and he ordered some larger boxes.
Conclusion, both problems are taken care of for future customers and neither bugged me to the point of dissatisfaction.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
There was a range of different shades of russet jackets worn in the War. I have not seen an original quite this shade, but this does not mean they did not exist!

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Housekeeping: Posts from a separate thread copied here, to help keep information at hand. Thanks. Please post more pictures as they are available.

Nick - looks great! I just realized you put pics up! I like that you got a civi A-2 and it looks pretty killer. As for size, well, that' personal. I like the A-2 shorter myself, so to me it looks good. Will be happy to see how it ages. Looks like another great alternative in the jacket world. Good stuff!

Just wanted to post a pic of the samples I received from Chris...
The photo was taken after I did my usual Pecard's, water, scrunching, etc. to them.

Last edited:

JB17COT

Familiar Face
Thanks for the photos and the feedback Nick, I think the jacket looks great! You're feedback encouraging. Considering the 3 payment options I think it's great. I'm really tempted. Can I just ask, you got a size 40" - what's your height and what size suit jacket do you usually get? And weight / waist size if I may ask... I'm 6"1, wear suits 40", weight 175lbs and waist 34" and I'm thinking a size 42" would be good. I want to be able to wear layers under (sweater etc...).

Cheers

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for the photos and the feedback Nick, I think the jacket looks great! You're feedback encouraging. Considering the 3 payment options I think it's great. I'm really tempted. Can I just ask, you got a size 40" - what's your height and what size suit jacket do you usually get? And weight / waist size if I may ask... I'm 6"1, wear suits 40", weight 175lbs and waist 34" and I'm thinking a size 42" would be good. I want to be able to wear layers under (sweater etc...).

Cheers

No problem. I'm 6'2" and 150-155 lbs. 32 waist. I measure at about a 39" chest.
The size 40 is comfortable on me-if anything a bit roomy. The pit to pit of this one was quoted at 22.5" across (haven't measured it yet) which is a large 40 or small 42 (I think).
Would recommend a size 40 for a snug fit and a 42 for a roomier fit. The jacket is constructed a bit blousy (but its an attractive, tailored blousy if that makes sense).
I'm probably a true 39 jacket size for this one.

Last edited:

JB17COT

Familiar Face
Thanks Nick. I'm going to order in size 42", the measurements they have on their website seem good to me although maybe i'd like half an inch or an inch more lenght. But from what you said it seems I can ask Chirs for a slightly longer back length right? It jackets aren't in stock yet so he has to make them from scratch.

Cheers

Azog

Familiar Face
How about delivery time? Did it take 3 to 4 weeks to make the jacket as advertised in first post of this thread.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
How about delivery time? Did it take 3 to 4 weeks to make the jacket as advertised in first post of this thread.

It took a little over a month. I'd say closer to five weeks plus the delivery time from NY to CA. This took a full week.

JB17COT

Familiar Face
Looks great Nick... I've just order the Army Air Corps jacket! Should receive it early October. Will keep you posted once I get it!

Brettafett

One Too Many
Given time, will look lovely... Take a shower Nick ;)
Chris is sending samples of various materials, if it looks interesting and will add to this thread, will takes pics and post.

I've been talking with Chris over the last few months about his Cossack style jacket. Today I got word that the pattern maker is done. It's going to be sweet!!!
We've spec'd it out in the darker brown Seal steerhide which I really like.
I'll post up pics once it comes my way. Hooray for Fall!

Brettafett

One Too Many
You know what may be cool. Is their A-2 styled 7303 with slash pockets with a mouton collar ;) Unique!!!! Mmmmm perhaps I need to contact them about this...

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
You know what may be cool. Is their A-2 styled 7303 with slash pockets with a mouton collar ;) Unique!!!!

Not quite unique. Super talented FL and VLJ member Fishmeok created his "Stratoliner" jacket a couple of years back:

IMG_3960.jpg

I love this jacket. Send a PM to Mark. He makes some stunning jackets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto