Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero 101J Leather Jacket

Fell in love with this jacket the moment I saw it. Figured if I missed out on it and decided to get one later, I would've paid twice as much for what is essentially the same jacket, while messing something up in the process of ordering so...

...here it is. Aero 101J jacket in Jerky Horsehide. Yeah, that's the one from the Sale page.

Normally I would've passed on an unlined jacket in leather that's not CXL FQHH but having recently handled an A2 in Jerky, it was actually this very hide that tipped the scale.

Read a lot unflattering things about Jerky, how it's lightweight and whatnot and honestly, I couldn't disagree more.
This is a very under-appreciated and absolutely fantastic leather. It's full of character, texture, grain and color variation while being equal (or very close) in weight to most CXL HH jackets I've seen. It's a very hard wearing, relatively stiff hide with a tougher surface that won't be showing wear nowhere as quickly or break in as fast but no doubt, it'll get there with a vengeance.

So yeah, I'm absolutely amazed at how nice Jerky HH is and can't say enough good things about it. It's exactly what comes to mind when I think of how leather should be.

Anyway, back to the jacket...

I wanted this Lee 101J style for quite a while now so not only was the timing perfect but the entire jacket is at good as it gets. There is something very raw and cool about it. Being unlined and all, the jacket is right to the point and that's what I really dig about it.
Sure, if I was getting a made to order jacket, I would've predictably come up with a whole bunch of stupid mods with the end result being something I probably wouldn't nearly appreciate as much, due to constantly overthinking how I should've gone with this or that... So this jacket simplifies things for me. A lot.

I'm still not sure whether I like snaps or buttons more on these jackets but one thing is certain; snaps are a lot more convenient and there's no fear they'll fall off, plus vintage 101J's had snaps as well so even that turned out for the best.

Anyway, enough talk. Here's the jacket and... That's it. Enjoy.

DSC08433.jpg

DSC08475.jpg

DSC08495.jpg

DSC08437.jpg

DSC08440.jpg

DSC08441.jpg

DSC08445.jpg

DSC08447.jpg

DSC08448.jpg

DSC08453.jpg

DSC08457.jpg

DSC08462.jpg

DSC08464.jpg

DSC08469.jpg

DSC08473.jpg

DSC08478.jpg

Mich486

One Too Many
How does the jerky compare to Vicenza hh? It looks stiffer but it’s hard to tell from the pictures alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How does the jerky compare to Vicenza hh? It looks stiffer but it’s hard to tell from the pictures alone.

I haven't handled Vicenza but it's definitely stiffer than the Shinki RMC is using, which often gets compared to Vicenza so it gives an impression of being slightly heavier... But it's probably the same. The jacket is a good 5.5 lbs and that's pretty decent considering it's unlined.

The stitchwork looks better than usual. I especially like how the shoulder seams are facing backwards instead of forward as is the norm for Aero.

I didn't even notice that about the shoulder seams but you're right! And yeah, it's very nicely made! And I'd imagine it can't be very easy to work with that hide. . .

wdw

One Too Many
That's very, very nice indeed. I was pleased to see that Aero are moving into the leather jeans jacket scene, as that's what I feel I'm missing at the moment. They seem to have started putting the stitching over the Type 3 pockets now, rather than having patch pockets, which looks a lot better. Can't wait to see the final versions.

Are the chest pockets on yours functional? Bags at the back? What height are you and how does the length feel?

That's very, very nice indeed. I was pleased to see that Aero are moving into the leather jeans jacket scene, as that's what I feel I'm missing at the moment. They seem to have started putting the stitching over the Type 3 pockets now, rather than having patch pockets, which looks a lot better. Can't wait to see the final versions.

Are the chest pockets on yours functional? Bags at the back? What height are you and how does the length feel?

The pockets are functional of course and - something I wanted to address in the OP, but forgot - are fully leather lined! Normally, the pockets on these leather trucker/jean jackets pockets are always textile bags because the openings are just slits on the front of the jacket but this is the first time I see them being made entirely out of leather! I don't know whether that's exclusive only to this jacket since it's unlined or if it's a standard but it's really cool. And I hope it's gonna become a norm.

I'll post some fit pics tomorrow so you'll see how it fits. This particular jacket is really short but I like it.

Fantastic. *Fortunately* there wasn't one in my size, as it saved me from a tough conversation with my credit card...

If only I was as lucky... With the washing machine on the fritz, this jacket was literally the last thing I needed at this moment but I was too weak. When I saw it, measurements and all, I knew that was it so I just pulled the trigger.

Listed and sold another jacket right away so I don't feel overly guilty...

BobJ

Practically Family
That is one awesome jacket! I really like the curved back yoke and the curved back seams. And the grain on the back is a thing of beauty already. Of all the new jackets I've seen on here lately, THIS is the one I would get, if I were getting another one.

I agree that the Jerky HH is inexplicably underrated. Like you said, it's kinda what you think of when you think of garment leather, especially if you like it grainy.

And don't worry about the stiffness, it didn't take long before mine was about as stiff as a damp bath towel.

It isn't tanned and topcoated to age artificially fast, you have to wear it and earn the character and patina. But it does record the life that is lived in it. My jacket is also dark seal Jerky HH.

It's surprisingly breathable for leather - very comfortable to wear. And since it's dry and absorbent, is will keep you warmer than leather that is stuffed with oil and wax.

Are you happy with the fit? Good range of motion? Did I notice hidden hand warmer pockets?

I bet you're going to find this an easy jacket to reach for.

Congratulations, very nice catch. I envy you... except the washing machine part ;)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ