Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero 30's HB with #10 zipper modification

My one peeve on the correct "Waldes" zip (#5) on my GW Ventura is that SOB is an SOB to zip.
Looks the part, but damn, I'm lucky I'm not often zipping up that thing as I might cook and eat it after trying to zip it when I either don't have my glasses on or it's dark out. I'd never go so far as to put something like a YKK on it, but at times I do wish I could rip it out.
OTOH, my heavy LW has a big #10 which could hold a wing on a plane. I think the Cockpit MA-1 I got has a #8, but I need to check it...

Hello lounge friends, this is both a review as well as as update notice about my 30's Half-Belt. I purchased this jacket off the rack at Insurrection back in November, 2015. It had been out on several fittings, so break-in was already about 50% complete. This jacket was constructed in rather heavy CXL Steerhide, and has developed quite a bit of character. It is also lined in basic black cotton drill, which I find quite handy. It had worked out to be quite a good "daily driver" of a jacket, a great in-between from a motorcycle jacket however a little more corporate-casual office friendly.

I did notice this past winter that the Talon #5 zipper, unless started very carefully and insuring that you got it "seated" exactly, could start peeling open from the bottom. I had this happen several times. Upon closer observation, I found that the material holding the zipper in place (cloth) had torn. Wish I had gotten a photo of that.

So I visited an Amish leather/saddle repair shop near me. They had only #5 and #10 brass zippers to choose from, and they do all thier own work in house, by hand. The price of the new #10 zipper was more than fair, so I let them install a new one. The results are shown below. It's apparent a zipper has been replaced, however it's not very noticable to my eyes:

View attachment 75047 View attachment 75048 View attachment 75049 View attachment 75050

And here's a fit photo or two. This is a tag size of 44, I wanted to be able to wear a sweatshirt under it, as the photos show. Not the best photos in the world but give an idea of fit:
View attachment 75051 View attachment 75052

So for anyone looking for a good all-round jacket, I cannot recommend the 30's HB enough. It's simple yet detailed in it's design, it's durable and can be made to fit very well over layers, without excessive bulk. Sure hope this helps someone else out, and for the record, it's worth checking on larger zippers. Especially if ordering a Steerhide jacket.
What did it cost, all in, to replace the #5?

All my heavy jackets have an #8 or #10. 8 on the JL and the Vanson's are all 10's. The SB has an 8 too. I just think these heavier hides require it. Function has to come before form on these weights. I zip my jackets and keep them zipped when siting, driving etc. The smaller zips just can't hang in my experience. Maybe I'm rough on them but the zipper is something I don't want to baby. It should take an ass kicking just like the rest of the jacket.

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
For me, function and form go together. I do have a lapd with an original Talon. This talon were early 50's They got the talon written in a vertical way in size #10. They look the part and will take the care of the business end.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
And yes as was noted it was not a perfect job. But it was Much better than having the zipper open up at the bottom, and it was getting to the point of a daily occurance. I bought this jacket for function, not so much fashion. So it's done and I wear it as it is. Weclome to Iowa, as we say. :)

roadking04

Practically Family
I am in the bigger zip camp. Like Worf said, The number 5's look too dainty on a heavy leather jacket.

I think the bigger zip looks better and functions better. I like the upgrade AeroFan.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Updating this post with more photos. Jacket is not for sale, just letting folks see how the steerhide has broken in, and 30's HB details. Still one of my favorites indeed.

DSC_0353.JPG
DSC_0346.JPG
DSC_0341.JPG
DSC_0348.JPG DSC_0347.JPG DSC_0347.JPG DSC_0349.JPG DSC_0343.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leatherpatch