Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero button cuffs lining - leather or fabric?

Montecristo

New in Town
Hi,
I thought about ordering the jacket with double button cuffs to be able to attach the cuff tightly against the wrist (with the second button). What do you think, should I opt for leather lining or corduroy? I like the idea of solid leather at the end of the sleeve, but it could be too hard to button and too cold on the skin.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Hi,
I thought about ordering the jacket with double button cuffs to be able to attach the cuff tightly against the wrist (with the second button). What do you think, should I opt for leather lining or corduroy? I like the idea of solid leather at the end of the sleeve, but it could be too hard to button and too cold on the skin.

I don't think using that button is a great idea, every jacket i have seen where the owner used the second button ended up with completely deformed, out of shape cuffs.
IMO the second button is there for looks and not to be used. If you want some cuffs you can close you are better of getting zippers
Also, its not like the second button actually tightens things to an air tight seal, have just tried it on my Original Hercules, and it really barely makes a difference.
Regarding the leather lining vs cord, it does make a difference, double leather is harder and more rigid, cord lined is softer and might feel warmer on the wrist, but i'm not sure it is that big a deal in real life.
I have had double leather on all my previous jackets and never had cold wrists...

Last edited:

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Here are a few quick pics showing you the difference between first and second button closure.
As you can see, it's not actually tight enough to seal, unless you have monster wrists.
It also creates a weird kink in the cuff that i am not a fan of.

L1000205_zpsoyb29sbi.jpg

L1000208_zpswzmrnl09.jpg

Last edited:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Personally I wouldn't order double buttons as I rarely if ever open or close the cuff button anyhow. My preference is a leather lined cuff but see no reason why a corduroy lined cuff such as with the Original Herc wouldn't work equally as well.

Last edited:
I agree with seeing no need for a second button. So really no downside of a double leather cuff ( I have several Aeros with them). If fact, an all leather cuff is certainly more durable at its inside sleeve wear points. I do like the shape or stylish flair of the button cuff.
HD

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Yes,fabric WILL wear through if you wear a watch.Pls don't ask :rolleyes:.
That sounds like a painful experience. Shows you how ignorant I am of leather jackets, I've never seen a buttoned cuff before, single or double. Or perhaps I've seen it but never noticed. I have only ever seen the knitted cuff and matching knitted waistband. I guess with the leather buttoned cuff you have a leather waistband too.
Oh, and, RJR, original A2's are all but bullet broof, mine looks a bit threadbare, more like a blanket for a pet's basket, but I bet it sees me out.
A2-Leather-Jacket.jpg

Montecristo

New in Town
Thanks for the opinions guys. I would like to have the possibility to change the width of the cuff, so if the second button does not provide that, then it is really superfluous. Although someone told me, that at Aero they now do them in a way that the cuffs really get tighter because the button is offset slighty, dont know if true.

Edward

Bartender
I'd agree with Carlos that the second button being used seems to distort the shape of it. Otherwise, I've never unbuttoned mine: simply feel no need. The cuffs on all my Aeros are wide enough to let my hand through without opening, but perfectly narrow enough for general wear (if you're gonig to be wearing it on a motorcycle, then I might think about tighter sleeve cuffs....). I suppose, depending on model, you could always go for a zipped cuff if you want the neatest possible fit, though it isn't for every style.

As to leather or cloth lining.... I have had both. My instinctive reaction is that the leather-lined option would be easier to keep from getting grubby, being wipe-clean, though tbh I've never had a marked problem with the cloth-lined ones myself. The big difference, as others have noted, is that the leather lined option will be much heftier. If you intend to open and close the buttons a lot, the single-thickness of leather with cloth lining is the better option.

Harris HTM

One Too Many
have you also checked the Aero Stockists in Germany? Maybe there is one in Berlin too. There you can see all the options and try fit jackets. I had once visited the Kentaurus shop in Koln, the owner is a really nice and helpful guy.

Montecristo

New in Town
I have my eyes on a work coat or something, for this style zippers do not fit. It may be awkward but sometimes I just like the feel of a tighter sleeve at the wrists.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for the opinions guys. I would like to have the possibility to change the width of the cuff, so if the second button does not provide that, then it is really superfluous. Although someone told me, that at Aero they now do them in a way that the cuffs really get tighter because the button is offset slighty, dont know if true.

The pictures i posted are of a jacket that is 2 weeks old, and they aren't that useful.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Just thought i would add a bit more info...

First one is my ELMC, with the second button in line with the first, this one is the worst, it is in my opinion purely decorative.
If you use button 2 on this one if completely deforms the cuff and folds it in a very uncomfortable and very ugly way.
It is the tightest, but least comfortable/ good looking.

Second one is my Original Hercules, it can be used but doesn't tighten the cuff that much, it doesn't look as bad when used on button 2 though.

Third is my bootlegger and has a single button.

All that to say, don't get buttoned cuffs if you want them to be sealed tight, but get them for the looks. Personally i really like the looks of the 2 buttons on the Hercules, it just looks cool.
If you need air tight sleeves, zippers are the way.
Regarding watch wear, i think leather would definitely last longer, but you would need a pretty sharp watch to wear through that heavy chord, it is not your corduroy trouser kind of fabric, it is much much heavier.

L1000210_zpssd0ihzp4.jpg

ELMC:
L1000219_zpskr4fu60w.jpg

Herc:
L1000208_zpswzmrnl09.jpg

Last edited:

Montecristo

New in Town
Wow, thank you Carlos, that a perfect comparison and explanation! I think I like the two offset buttons the most and if the angle of the second button is right it might narrow the sleeves quite a bit. Airtight I dont need, but in a way that keeps the sleeve above the hand if the arms would be too long.

thor

One Too Many
If you opt for a Hiwayman the sleeves have an inner elastic storm cuff which keeps the wind out. It doesn't tighten the actual leather cuff circumference but it does provide a snug seal against your wrist. Just a thought.

Even some original Hercules models had knitted cuffs inside. It would definitely keep the draft out and sleeves in place on a workcoat.

Last edited:

Steve S.

One of the Regulars
something else to think about in the leather vs. cloth issue is hide thickness/stiffness. I've some in here that had all leather cuffs & the double layer of the cuffs on the end of the single layer sleeves just didn't feel right if the hides were a little thicker. felt more like a solid ring on the end of the sleeves clanking around.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points