Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero highwayman and Simmons bilt roadster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hammerklavier

One of the Regulars
This is the key point for a first time purchase. The fit jacket absolutely locks in the specs and eliminates the guess work and worry. It might be more expensive but it ensures a perfect fit and that extra expense could easily be chewed up by return postage and remakes if you blow the numbers on the first go round.
As far as LW is concerned, the jacket I owned was absolutely top tier in every way that one can possibly judge a jacket. Perfectly and I mean perfectly sewn together. Insanely heavy HH, beautiful hardware. It was a jacket however that would never take on any patina, at least not the kind I like, and would still look brand new in 10 years. It's a testament to the leather but also a detriment, depending on what you're after. I found Stu to be very easy to work with, in spite of his bizarre and entertaining website rhetoric.

That's very interesting, I certainly would like to see the patina as the jacket starts to break in, I don't want my jacket keeps its "shinning new condition" for ever, thanks for your information

从我的 iPhone 发送,使用 Tapatalk

MRB1248

Familiar Face
Hammerklavier, As you can see from the responses here there is a very big bias towards Aero simply because it's Aero. If you have a limited budget and you're not concerned about who was first to start making {insert jacket type here} jackets, then you can choose Simmons Bilt. If you want to spend the extra money and have the "original" then you can get the Aero. The quality of the manufacturing is pretty much indistinguishable between the two. One thing that did get me was that on my Aero, I had to sew the pocket as it came with a hole. (Umm, guys at Aero, really?)

Personally, I own both. I am less concerned with who started what anymore, for which I am sure I will get vitriol on here. My first jacket was an Aero. I went with the fit process and not knowing what I was doing or how the jacket should fit, it didn't work for me because of my build (I need everything made bigger in the shoulders). I am sure now that I've ordered three different jackets, I would have a much easier time. Also, once I'd dialed in the fit, I found Simmons Bilt to be much more responsive in their customization. Now, that being said, I would suggest you ask how the jackets are designed to fit. If you're looking for a jacket to ride in, SB is much more suited to it. It's wider across the back and very narrow across the chest (think of the position you'd be in riding a mototrcycle). But if you're looking to have something to wear around town, and be a little more flexible, look at Aero or you really need to dial in the measurements for the SB.

That's very interesting, I certainly would like to see the patina as the jacket starts to break in, I don't want my jacket keeps its "shinning new condition" for ever, thanks for your information

Here's my LW after about three months of fairly solid wear:

IMG_6970.JPG

You can see that the sleeves were just barely beginning to crease, and the body showed almost zero wear. It's impressive stuff

pak

One of the Regulars
The problem with this example is all the originals are on display rather than on the road where the the real fun exists

Peter Bowden

Practically Family
Hi friends
I am new here, and trying to get my first HH jacket, any suggestion for choosing aero highwayman or Simmons bilt roadster, which one has thicker and warmer jacket and higher quality? Thanks for your answer!!

IMHO,You will never regret buying an Aero jacket

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It appears that my euphemistic Cobra post has been misinterpreted. The issue is NOT simply that one company introduced its jacket before the other company. Rather, the issue is that one company stole another company's proprietary pattern, then brazenly introduced a jacket based on the stolen pattern. In fact, one company was founded by implementing stolen patterns. If two companies reproduce the same vintage jacket, and each does so by investing its time, money, ingenuity and hard work, I don't care which company reaches market first. However, it is an entirely different situation when a company steals another company's pattern, rather than investing the time, money, ingenuity and hard work to reproduce the jacket itself. I personally refuse to support such conduct, even if I must spend more money to purchase a jacket from a different company. Of course, this is nothing more than my personal and subjective opinion, and everyone is free to decide for him or herself.

Ps: I do not own any Aero jackets.

Last edited:

View attachment 58522
You can see that the sleeves were just barely beginning to crease, and the body showed almost zero wear. It's impressive stuff

This is ridiculous. But in a good way. How long would it take for this jacket to look worn? 11 years?
But it just screams insane quality. It's so well made it's not funny...

Peacoat

Bartender
Thanks Mike, but they charge little too high, for me, unfortunately.

Actually going through Thurston Brothers doesn't cost more than ordering straight from Aero; the price is the same. With Wade and Carrie sending a fit jacket, the guesswork and the worry are eliminated. You will get a jacket that fits. I have three Aero jackets; two I got through Thurston and one from Aero. All three fit, but there was no worry about the fit of the jackets I got through Thurston.

There have been some on this forum who did not do so well in ordering directly from Aero.

Actually I went through Mark Moye back in the old days, so I didn't order straight from Aero (I had forgotten about that). He was quite helpful in nailing the fit. Mark is no longer around. Thurston filled the void with the departure of Mark.

If you decide on an Aero, ordering from Thurston Brothers is the way to go.

Having been around during the controversy with Alexander Leathers, I would not buy from a company that stole so much from another company. YMMV.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
It's a pretend military jacket patterned originally, from memory, by Neil Cooper in the 1970's. I don't hate it but I don't particularly like it. A series of borrowed stylings.

Last edited:

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I own jackets from both companies. However my Alexander Leather's jacket was bought before one of it's founders was convicted of theft (and not just of jacket patterns), I've bought nothing from them since, new or used. The AL jacket, a "Redskin" D1, is a great jacket, fine quality however, it's the last thing I bought from them.

Worf

sweetfights

My Mail is Forwarded Here

View attachment 58522
That is Lost Worlds for you. You never have to be afraid about excessive wear. Not sure if you wear a LW jacket or it wears you.

Edgar Laurel

One of the Regulars
I own jackets from both so it's quite a matter of choice.
Both have great craftmanship, made by people who know their deal like no other, the hides are similar.
Aero has more customization options for example.
But, it's up to you. You'll be happy with the jacket in the end.
All the other issues going around and that seems to be of much concern to some...well I don't give a damn.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Good for you, Edgar. Good to see you're fitting in nicely with the ethos of the Lounge there :rolleyes:. Worth pointing out that SB don't have access to Horween CXL horsehide and that chrome-tanned leather is just a standard product, it's not proprietary to Horween.

willyto

One Too Many
I'm surprised by the fact that in a place like this and with the products we are talking about (High end products and niche market) some people don't give a damn about the people behind the brand or the actions the do while representing such brand.

If you wouldn't care about that part of the jacket production then you should head back to mall mass produced jackets.

Hammerklavier

One of the Regulars
How you guys comparison quality of HH between Aero and Eastman luftwaffe flying jacket (3oz Veg tanned HH) thanks for the opinions!

从我的 iPad 发送,使用 Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichaelSturm