Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero jacket lining -- Midweight or Heavyweight tartan?

lina

Practically Family
As i think about possibly ordering another Aero (probably Maxwell) I am wondering about going up from the current midweight tartan I have to a heavyweight tartan. I know the difference in "oz per square inch" as listed on Lochharren's website, but that doesn't mean much to me. Just curious is anyone has both a mid- and a heavy- and if so how much difference does it feel like to you? Do you prefer one over the other? (I'll be wearing the jacket during Wash DC winters -- not super cold, but often in the 30s and occasionally the 20s.)

mendelboaz

One Too Many
I have 2 jackets lined in the heavyweight tartan. To me, when you're spending over 600 quid on a tough leather jacket, it's worth the £25-50 (depending on jacket style) upcharge for added durability and hefty feel. I only handled a sample of the lightweight tartan and to me it just seemed to flimsy for a jacket lining. I love my heavyweight tartan lined Aeros!

heron163

One of the Regulars
this thread is relevant to my interests... how does the tartan wear? How does it feel if you are wearing a short sleeve t-shirt? what temperature range does it become uncomfortable?

thanks!

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I love wool as it has a balance of warmth and wicking. I go with the light wool and layer, so I can't comment on the heavier stuff, but I've got two jackets that have wool linings, and I've never had a moment's bother with them.

Wears great. Feels great. Never been uncomfortable and honestly, "warmth" isn't something that I even think of with it.
Leather jackets aren't warm, sans the fleece types. So tartan helps but does not really add much unless it's really hot out and then it might matter...

mendelboaz

One Too Many
^agree with all of the above. I chose the tartan mostly for looks, and I went with the heavyweight for added durability. Turns out it's very comfy as well. Don't worry about heavyweight tartan being too warm in the summer-- when it's THAT hot outside, it's just too hot for any jacket, period. If you really want a warm lining, go for alpaca wool or tweed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk