Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero labels

Bullitt

New in Town
When I saw Sloan1874's great Board Racer jacket with the unusual Rock 'n' Roll label, I decided to ask about »label-options« when I visited the Aero factory. Yes, there are many labels to choose from. Great to see them all.

I took a few photos and with Aero’s permission I am posting the images here.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That is really cool! Both of my Aero jackets have the label with the car, motorcycle, and airplane. I had no idea there were so many other options available. I guess this is just one more reason that I need to order another Aero jacket in the near future.

Edward

Bartender
Cool stuff. It would be interesting to hear from Aero which labels are used for which purposes. For example, the "Blue Label" (Aeroplane in clouds, predominantly blue) pictured above has for some time been used for jackets that are not quite regular stock - e.g. the jackets that Aero made up from incomplete bits and pieces found in store after Will left - front of one mdeol back of another, putting together what worked, with soem cool variations. My HWM has the blue label in it because it was made as a trainee jacket in 2012, just before Ken introduced the Robin Hood "Apprentice Made" label for those.

Bullitt

New in Town
Cool stuff. It would be interesting to hear from Aero which labels are used for which purposes. For example, the "Blue Label" (Aeroplane in clouds, predominantly blue) pictured above has for some time been used for jackets that are not quite regular stock - e.g. the jackets that Aero made up from incomplete bits and pieces found in store after Will left - front of one mdeol back of another, putting together what worked, with soem cool variations. My HWM has the blue label in it because it was made as a trainee jacket in 2012, just before Ken introduced the Robin Hood "Apprentice Made" label for those.

That‘s good to know. I took these pictures towards the end of my visit and didn't ask questions about the labels.

Last edited:

Chi-Town Co

Familiar Face
Thanks for posting. Some of these labels I've never seen before. To Edward's point, it would be interesting to know which label is the "default" for a jacket if you didn't ask?

Hide'n'seek

One of the Regulars
A little bit of info on some of the labels in the photos.
Blue “Aeroplane” Label was inspired by original 50’s Aero Boston label, original designed for, and used on, all our Made in Canada Highwayman Jackets circa 1991 Everyone likes the label but we never really knew what to do with it. When we ended Canadian production we had “Made In Scotland” added to the design. Was used over the years as a “Trainee” label, then from 2012 as a slightly lower grade range of “one of” jackets

“Ice Hockey” label was made for our All Leather Ice Hockey Jackets (1991-93)

“Longhorn” label dates from 1993 for Jean Jackets, still in regular use

“Rock’n’Roll” was original designed for jeans, we changed our minds and it’s been used sparingly for certain 1950s designs, mainly Café Racers

“Aero Men’s Wear” is from late 1980s for non leather garments. Still in regular use on our trousers and Shackleton Vests.

Ditto “All Wool Guaranteed” mainly used for Tweed Coats, Suits etc circa 1991

“Harris Tweed” repro of the official 1934-39 Harris Tweed content label, use for our trousers and Harris Tweed linings, introduced at Aero in 2013

Aero “Camp Fire” label, my personal favourite by far, circa 2014, First used in our Royale, we also fit it as standard in our Plainsman, Wayfarer and August.

the “Thunder Bay” label was made around 1990 because the design looked great, didn’t find a “home” until 2013.

“Plane, Car & Bike” which is our most widely used and our signature label, instantly recognized was modified from artwork on an old oil can in 1987, the design hasn’t been changed since although various sizes and text fonts have been used over the years

“Airmen with Propeller” dates from around 2000, replica of Aero Leather Beacon NY’s post war civvy label

“Highwayman” circa 1997, repro of Rivett’s Highwayman label from 1950s

“Aero Leather Clothing” Script in Brown and Gold dates from mid 2000’s, designed for 1930s or earlier Horsehide Jackets, used as standard on Board Racer and Original Hercules.

“Rutting Deer”, designed circa 2010 for Deerskin and/or Kudu Jackets

“Aero” with crown, circa 2013 for Premier Range

“Transatlantic Clothing” our original trading name, label designed circa 1986 mainly used for Trainee jackets, Kid’s jackets, Letterman’s jackets

“Robin Hood” Trainee label circa 2012

“Indian” labels, circa 1999 various designs from our licenced range of Indian Jackets

Missing from the pic and we haven’t got one but would pay a good price for a jacket with this particular label ………………..

“Miracle Leathers” our original trainee label, underneath the logo “Miracle Leather” it read “When it’s a great jacket, it’s a Miracle”

Richbear

Familiar Face
Wow, thanks for the amazing info and pics, now I gotta call and see if I can get that awesome rock and roll label for my new cafe racer I have on order.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Here's an older one no longer used. I believe it is from the time Aero was located in Moffat. Jacket is a sheep lined Connelly Highwayman.
As it's a bit feint I will describe. Maybe Aero have one in their archive.

A stylised Globe Device, central with scrolled banner in chief with Legend "The" in italic and "Aero" in bold font, rising from Dexter to Sinister across Honour point.
Lower scrolled banner in base legend unreadable rising from Dexter to Sinister across Fess point.

I would presume that the lower banner reads 'Leather Clothing' with possibly 'Made in Scotland in the missing portion.
the lower label is completely gone and may have read 'Connelly Hide'

PA120041.jpg

PS. The Heraldic terms are just for fun and may not be correct ;)

Zeb1435

New in Town
Hey guys, I was pointed in the direction of this discussion by a couple of friend of mine. I have a jacket with the Rock n Roll label mentioned earllier and I've been trying to find some info on it. Google hasn't been any help and the only mention I can find of the label is this thread. Any info you could give about the jacket such as name/style/age would be hugely appreciated. I'll post a couple of pictures, thanks.

DSCF4305.JPG

DSCF4313.JPG

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
This does not look like any standard Aero jacket judging by the collar of the coat. It may have been a 1 off but certainly not in Front quarter Horse. The label sizing is odd too, as all Aero jackets I have owned have been sized in inches rather than a generalisation size. Hmmmm! Thinks:confused:

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Looks like someone has stuck an Aero label over the original label. If you look closely on the sides, you can see another label poking out on either edge.

Zeb1435

New in Town
Thanks for the replies guys. I'll double check the label today to see if there is another one underneath ( the jacket's currently in a storage unit ) I must admit my first thought was that it wasn't genuine but then if someone was going to try and pass it off as an Aero jacket by sticking an Aero label in it why would they use a label that isn't used much rather than the label with the car and motorbike? Hmmmmmmm indeed. I've emailed Aero as well to see if they have any idea, I'll post any updates I get from them. Thanks, again.

Zeb1435

New in Town
I've had really nice reply from Ken at Aero and it looks like my jacket isn't what it seems. With his permision I'll reprint the reply below.

Hi Jonathan

" I saw your post on Fedora Lounge

The jacket isn’t “Aero Made” but it might have been made for Aero but rejected

Let me explain

Back in the late 20th Century we were approached by the UK rep of a company in India offering to make jackets for us. Initial we weren’t interested but the quality of their samples looked exceptional for the Far East.

We decided to get 500 (I think) Type A-2s made, but we insisted on sending an operative from the factory in Galashiels over to India to oversee the entire production work and to assure us that work conditions were up to scratch.

All went well, our girl was very happy with everything in India, the jackets were brilliant for the money and it meant we could sell a decent A-2 to folk who couldn’t afford an Aero otherwise. The jackets were labelled “Aero Flight Inc”

We’d often considered a 1960’s “Mods” 3 button Leather jacket/blazer. When the A-2s arrived we were shown a sample “Blazer”, looked fantastic, we ordered 200 I think , but when they arrived they were truly dreadful, (Luckily we hadn’t paid a penny at that stage”

We refused to accept them, we found out the order had been “sent out” to another factory in India, this was how the company worked it turned out, first order gets made by the best workers, next one goes to the cheapest workers.

I don’t recall the labelling situation, I’m pretty sure we would have removed the labels if we could, perhaps some slipped through. I do believe the Rock ‘n’ Roll label was used for these.

That said we would have ordered in 36. 38. 40 et, not S, M, L

Looking at your jacket it’s very obvious that the Aero label is sewn over another label. Very clear in the pic, perhaps these were already made when we ordered our and our labels were fitted over someone else’s rejected order. It didn’t take us more than 5 minutes to reject the whole delivery

The styling of the jackets delivered had a hint of what we ordered, looked like they’d been designed by Mr Magoo after seeing what we wanted in a shop window as he passed by at 50MPH in his car in the rain

Bottom line, the 200 jackets must have ended up somewhere, Englandshire I expect that’s where the agent was based, looks like you might have one, Fits like a coal sack I expect? )>:

Hope this helps, you can reprint this info in Fedora if you like

Ken "

...... he's right about the coal sack thing :)

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
I've had really nice reply from Ken at Aero and it looks like my jacket isn't what it seems. With his permision I'll reprint the reply below.

Hi Jonathan

" I saw your post on Fedora Lounge

The jacket isn’t “Aero Made” but it might have been made for Aero but rejected

Let me explain

Back in the late 20th Century we were approached by the UK rep of a company in India offering to make jackets for us. Initial we weren’t interested but the quality of their samples looked exceptional for the Far East.

We decided to get 500 (I think) Type A-2s made, but we insisted on sending an operative from the factory in Galashiels over to India to oversee the entire production work and to assure us that work conditions were up to scratch.

All went well, our girl was very happy with everything in India, the jackets were brilliant for the money and it meant we could sell a decent A-2 to folk who couldn’t afford an Aero otherwise. The jackets were labelled “Aero Flight Inc”

We’d often considered a 1960’s “Mods” 3 button Leather jacket/blazer. When the A-2s arrived we were shown a sample “Blazer”, looked fantastic, we ordered 200 I think , but when they arrived they were truly dreadful, (Luckily we hadn’t paid a penny at that stage”

We refused to accept them, we found out the order had been “sent out” to another factory in India, this was how the company worked it turned out, first order gets made by the best workers, next one goes to the cheapest workers.

I don’t recall the labelling situation, I’m pretty sure we would have removed the labels if we could, perhaps some slipped through. I do believe the Rock ‘n’ Roll label was used for these.

That said we would have ordered in 36. 38. 40 et, not S, M, L

Looking at your jacket it’s very obvious that the Aero label is sewn over another label. Very clear in the pic, perhaps these were already made when we ordered our and our labels were fitted over someone else’s rejected order. It didn’t take us more than 5 minutes to reject the whole delivery

The styling of the jackets delivered had a hint of what we ordered, looked like they’d been designed by Mr Magoo after seeing what we wanted in a shop window as he passed by at 50MPH in his car in the rain

Bottom line, the 200 jackets must have ended up somewhere, Englandshire I expect that’s where the agent was based, looks like you might have one, Fits like a coal sack I expect? )>:

Hope this helps, you can reprint this info in Fedora if you like

Ken "

...... he's right about the coal sack thing :)

I saw a few of the 'Aero Flight' A2 jackets, a mate had one, they were indeed a good price and a nice jacket for the money.
There are many firms making cheap copies, using other manufacturers photographs and catalogue descriptions.
Here is another example that does not quite look right.
The label looks poorly photoshopped over another makers label and the quality looks superb for the price. Check their other items too. Something just does not look right.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mens-A-2-...hash=item3d2ab8389a:m:maYxxnCBlYMUpobzG17kwlg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points