Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Leather cafe racer (perfect condition) for exchange

Mikel64

New in Town
Hello, first of all I thank you for your helpful suggestions.

In fact, I was completely wrong about the P2P measurements. I took them again the most precisely as possible with a simple t-shirt on me ; and strange as it may seem, they differ according to the fact that I wear or not the CR :
- on me, zipped up : 44, 48" ; waist, 41,7"
- flat, zipped up : 46,06" ; waist, 40,94"

Anyway the jacket doesn't fit me, it is too tight I even can't bend. I think there's a problem about the chest, the waist and between (my small belly) but Aero was aware of it. I've enclosed more pics ; in the side view I have a bad position because the jacket is too tight.

a.jpg b.jpg c.jpg

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
I have an Aero Cafe Racer as well (4-pocket, tag size of 42, Black heavy CXL Steerhide) and frankly these photos show the fit to be EXACTLY spot-on. It was my first Aero jacket. Bear in mind these were often called Riding Shirts, and as such, are designed to be snug. I would encourage you to wear the jacket around your residence, take a nap with it on, etc. as it warms up as you wear it, the leather gets softer and more pliable. Don't rule it out just yet, as I indicated it looks tailor made for you. My size 42 has the needed 26.5" sleeve length and even those appear to fit you great. It will defiantly stretch and soften up as you wear it, but this does take a while.

On edit, the back being just a tad "loose" is so the owner can breathe while wearing. It seals up the rider well around the bottom but give some flexibility on the bike for turning the head, body, etc.

Last edited:
^I agree with Randy. This pattern is designed precisely to fit this way. It's broad at the top with a severe taper at the waist. If you go larger you'll be positively swimming at the chest and shoulders (which look OK IMHO).
It could well be that you'd be happier with a boxier pattern, like a Highwayman or even a 50's HB. These give you the option to adjust the waist to your preference. The CR doesn't. It is what it is and for the $ spent (if you aren't happy with it) you should look for a pattern that will suit you. It's beautiful jacket and the fit is true to form with regard to the pattern. It might well be that this pattern isn't the best one for the level of comfort you desire. I believe there are others that will suit you better. Just my 2 cents.

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
I agree that sizing up won't solve your problem. You should look at a different design with a less tapered waist. Halfbelt or Highwayman sounds like the right thing to me. You can adjust these at the waist and they are much more comfortable to wear. This CR collar looks like it's choking you, too. Unless you want the jacket for riding, I'd check out the 30s Half-Belt which is nice and slim too but not as crazily tapered, or a Highwayman for a relaxed fitting comfort jacket.

Mikel64

New in Town
I have an Aero Cafe Racer as well (4-pocket, tag size of 42, Black heavy CXL Steerhide) and frankly these photos show the fit to be EXACTLY spot-on. It was my first Aero jacket. Bear in mind these were often called Riding Shirts, and as such, are designed to be snug. I would encourage you to wear the jacket around your residence, take a nap with it on, etc. as it warms up as you wear it, the leather gets softer and more pliable. Don't rule it out just yet, as I indicated it looks tailor made for you. My size 42 has the needed 26.5" sleeve length and even those appear to fit you great. It will defiantly stretch and soften up as you wear it, but this does take a while.

Mikel64

New in Town
Thanks for your reply. I own a CR Vanson B in steerhide and I know it will (it has already) break easily and even distress a little. I understand your point of view, but in my opinion, it is not a matter of breaking in or not ; I don't think horsehide distresses. I was aware that it would take time to get used to the jacket. To me, the problem is the size. Wearing a jacket which is absolutely not snug (I know, the back may suggest the contrary, but doesn't), in which you hardly can zip up with a simple t-shirt - while I specified I would wear it with a hoodie or a sweat shirt - in not normal. And let's not even discuss of riding, I can't evan bend. And if I elevate my arms, the waist of my jacket comes above my navel... I enclose 3 pictures of how it should look, and you'll agree there's a difference between the way my jacket looks on me and the others previews

Attachments

• Ideal01.jpg
    Ideal01.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 822
  • Ideal02.jpg
    Ideal02.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 682
  • Ideal03.jpg
    Ideal03.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 718

Insomnia

One of the Regulars
Hi Mikel!
I won't size up in the cafe racer pattern but go with a board racer maybe in size 42 or even 44.
Sizing can be very difficult with the cafe racer pattern. P2P can be from 21,5-22,5 in a size 40 and the shoulders from 18-19. Look at the measurements at the Aero Sale page and compare the P2P from size 38 to 42. My Sheene in 40 is P2P 22 with 18,5 in shoulders.

Chris7273

One of the Regulars
Hello from belgium
Pay attention with the advise to go for a board racer. I am tall and skinny : 1.82m and 74 kg
My boardracer is a a size 40 and it is a very slim shaped jacket. Great but no room for an extra layer above a tshirt or a formal shirt. Just be warned :). Moreover the horsehide (blue vicenza) is nice but quite "hard" for such a skinny jacket and it feels like a armor, which is maybe the purpose :)
On the other side, My bootlegger (size 40) is also quite slim but with more room than the boardracer.
Maybe a longer and not tappered design will work better with your body shape

sweetfights

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks for your reply. I own a CR Vanson B in steerhide and I know it will (it has already) break easily and even distress a little. I understand your point of view, but in my opinion, it is not a matter of breaking in or not ; I don't think horsehide distresses. I was aware that it would take time to get used to the jacket. To me, the problem is the size. Wearing a jacket which is absolutely not snug (I know, the back may suggest the contrary, but doesn't), in which you hardly can zip up with a simple t-shirt - while I specified I would wear it with a hoodie or a sweat shirt - in not normal. And let's not even discuss of riding, I can't evan bend. And if I elevate my arms, the waist of my jacket comes above my navel... I enclose 3 pictures of how it should look, and you'll agree there's a difference between the way my jacket looks on me and the others previews

I must offer my observation. Many guys would kill for a perfect looking fit like that.

sweetfights

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hello, first of all I thank you for your helpful suggestions.

In fact, I was completely wrong about the P2P measurements. I took them again the most precisely as possible with a simple t-shirt on me ; and strange as it may seem, they differ according to the fact that I wear or not the CR :
- on me, zipped up : 44, 48" ; waist, 41,7"
- flat, zipped up : 46,06" ; waist, 40,94"

Anyway the jacket doesn't fit me, it is too tight I even can't bend. I think there's a problem about the chest, the waist and between (my small belly) but Aero was aware of it. I've enclosed more pics ; in the side view I have a bad position because the jacket is too tight.

View attachment 77686 View attachment 77687 View attachment 77688

This one is a poor fit for your body type.
50’s halfbelt or highwayman would definitely be better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112