Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Lining: Which Most Durable?

Powerband

Practically Family
I’m in the process for a custom Aero Ridley.

I want to choose a lining that’s most durable. (I’m not concerned with warmth.) I’ll use this jacket perhaps daily, to travel, to run through the airport, to go sight-seeing, to go to the store, to commute to work, to hang out with friends, to be outdoors with family and perhaps an occasional wear indoors on a chilly, cloudy day.

Here is the current list of options for lining from the Aero website:

0be5da2b0ec36596f5892d6fffb44192.jpg

I’ve done a lot of searching and reading about lining on here and it seems a few people indicate that cotton drill is most durable, but I’d feel better if more people can confirm this, so that there’s a stronger consensus on which to base my decision.

Here’s the jacket that I’m working with Carrie (at Thurston Bros) on customizing:

4cb33f7a12ae23a1c1765599ea486d95.jpg

f23cebf06081369676f97ec486647db4.jpg

So, which lining will outlast the rest of the choices?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cotton drill. I've had it in several Aero jackets. It is very durable but not very warm. When I wore it on the motorcycle the wind chill ( on a chilly day ) seemed to find it's way through the more open weave lining fabric. So..not for me. I moved them on. I have alpaca in my Aero jackets now which is more suitable for Indiana weather IMO. It is not near as durable..but then I'm not very hard on linings. None of my alpaca linings are worn at all. Even my first Aero Highwayman lining purchased in 2001 is unblemished. However some here have posted linings with rubbed holes even with the cotton drill.
HD

Lord LALA

New in Town
Other than trying on an Aero fit jacket with cotton drill I have no direct experience with it. On that limited occasion I noticed that the cotton drill lining had a harsher feel than cotton sateen. But, I I have heard that cotton drill is more durable than cotton sateen.

Having said that... I owned a non-Aero (Taylor Leathers) jacket with a cotton sateen lining for over 20 years and the lining held up incredibly well. I now own an Aero Board Racer which I wear as often as SoCal (and occasional PNW trip) weather permits in much the same manner as you intend, it has a cotton sateen lining.

I think cotton sateen will be more comfortable in your intended 'do-it-all' jacket as it is easier to slip on/off over long sleeves than other linings and feels nicer to the touch, particularly when worn with tee shirts, as I often do.

Good luck with your decision!

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Cotton drill based on my experience is super durable although anything will show wear eventually. I think a 2" to 3" corduroy strip at the bottom might be worthwhile on the Highwayman or any jacket with cinch straps at the bottom that might rub against the belt. Moleskin body shell lining gives better warmth and should also be durable, corduroy even more so. Others have made a point about cotton sateen lining the sleeves with which I have no personal experience but seems like a good idea.

Last edited:

Powerband

Practically Family
ThNk you so far! More comments welcomed and appreciated. It seems like cotton drill and cotton sateen are in the running for durability.

Just a reminder: I’m not concerned with warmth; I have a thick-@ss Vanson that allows layering for when I ride. This Aero D-pocket Ridley will be for general wear in the Northern California climate.

I love the form-fitting yet utilitarian characteristics of the Ridley. Just wanna have the best darn durability in all components. If you’re interested, so far I’m thinking:

— Soft but super durable moleskin for pocket linings.

— Vintage-finished brass hardware

— Open vertical internal pockets (for no wear-through creases on the leather)

— ??? lining.

dubpynchon

One Too Many
I have cotton drill lining on two jackets, but one with sateen in the sleeves. Cotton drill in the sleeves is fine as well, but sateen does make it easier to slip the jacket on. If I was getting a jacket with slim sleeves I would definitely go for sateen sleeves. My favourite lining is tartan because I like the patterns (I have Black Watch on one of mine). To be honest they're all fairly durable, it will take years of wear before you'd need the lining replaced.

Good choice with moleskin for the pockets. For internal pockets it's a pity Aero don't seem to offer the option of pockets make from fabric rather than leather, that would solve the whole inside pockets problem. I don't miss them on mine (too much).

Powerband

Practically Family
...For internal pockets it's a pity Aero don't seem to offer the option of pockets make from fabric rather than leather, that would solve the whole inside pockets problem. I don't miss them on mine (too much).

So if you were in my shoes, would you choose NO inside pockets?

dubpynchon

One Too Many
So if you were in my shoes, would you choose NO inside pockets?
It depends whether you’ll miss them or not, my mobile phone for example fits in the top front pocket of my Highwayman, and I keep my wallet and keys in my jeans pockets. It does mean I can’t keep my wallet in the inside pocket of the jacket. If you can get away without them then skip them. On the other hand...
Ask Aero if they can make them without leather as some other manufacturers do, I can’t see why they wouldn’t.

Last edited:

Powerband

Practically Family
dubpynchon, makes sense. When the fit-jacket arrives, I’ll see if my cellphone fits into the D-pocket (it will be the main item I’ll carry in the jacket, aside from my small card-wallet, which can easily go into the side handwarmer—I never use pockets to warm my hands). If the phone can’t fit inside the D-pocket, then I’ll request an inside pocket made of moleskin.

Thanks for all the comments—more is appreciated. Building a jacket is fun, more so with the help of those in the know.

Powerband

Practically Family
Another quick question:

Can the jacket be taken in about an inch at the waist down to the bottom hem, and about 1/2 an inch on the sleeve down to the sleeve end?

(I know that the bottom hem and sleeves can be shortened, but wondering if, during the custom build, the jacket can be TAKEN IN slightly from the the size of the fit jacket.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BobJ

Practically Family
I live on the Oregon coast and use my jacket year-round. Over layers and no layers. In strong wind, fog, and rain. Very active and inactive. I find my cotton drill comfortable against the skin, easy to put on and off even over layers of wool shirts and sweaters, breathable, and extremely wear resistant. If something happened to my jacket and I had to get another one, I would definitely, and most happily, choose cotton drill again.

I do like the looks of the Tartans, though!

Thebuzzard

One of the Regulars
Go for the lightweight tartan, I've had so many compliments on it! It says the jacket apart, and go with drill for the arms, neither offer much warmth and the tartan looks great.

As for inside pockets, don't over think it, I got dual inside pockets and have never looked back. Lol its my only real problem I have with my irvin, the lack of inside pockets. And that the sleeves constantly unzip. I'm drifting here.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I live on the Oregon coast and use my jacket year-round. Over layers and no layers. In strong wind, fog, and rain. Very active and inactive. I find my cotton drill comfortable against the skin, easy to put on and off even over layers of wool shirts and sweaters, breathable, and extremely wear resistant. If something happened to my jacket and I had to get another one, I would definitely, and most happily, choose cotton drill again.

I do like the looks of the Tartans, though!
@BobJ and I are on the same page with this. I also like the look and feel of Tartans although not as durable as cotton drill. If I lived in the UK, particularly anywhere near Galashiels, I would doubtless go with with at least some Tartans. However, since I live in the Colonies with exorbitant shipping hassle to and from Scotland, my go to lining will always be Cotton Drill.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff