Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero MQHH vs. FQHH

grundletaint

New in Town
I'm in the final stages of decision making for a highwayman jacket. i'm in texas and wondering if it would be a better idea to get the lighter medium-quarter rather than front quarter.

any input on the differences or advantages of one over the other?

My suggestion would be to go with the "Vintage" HH. It is somewhat lighter weight...and very grainy as well. Aero has it in black..and used to have it in brown. Here is a pic of my '30s HalfBelt in "Vintage" brown Horsehide just taken outa the box.

100_0412.jpg

100_0414.jpg

Also a cotton...or drill liner makes a big difference.
They also have a shaved FOHH that is lighterweight yet...but seems to break in wonderfully like their Heavy FQHH.
HD

grundletaint

New in Town
thanks for the quick input. i'm definitely doing vintage black. amanda's suggestion was to get a cotton liner and think about MQHH, which is only 3 oz. compared to the 4 oz. FQ (i'm not really sure how to analyze fabric weight). she says it's "different" and offered to send samples but i don't think they'll be big enough for me to tell the difference and i'd like to order it this week, anyways.

Here's pics of my "Vintage" black HH Aero jacket. It is hard to tell the thickness from a pic...but it may give you a better idea of what it looks like. However...I think that I would take Amanda's advice. She knows her stuff!
BTW..she is a cute blond with a dreamy Scottish brogue. I just can't help but...do what she says....

100_0407.jpg

100_0409.jpg

grundletaint

New in Town
part of the problem is that i have no frame of reference since i've never encountered one of their jackets in person. i have no idea if a FQHH with cotton liner would make that much of a difference compared to MQ. i'm in austin and want to be able to wear it as much as possible during our limited cold months. on the other hand, i don't want to get a MQ and end up having to bundle up underneath it because it's too thin.

Well..I have many Aeros...and IMO...I think the liner has more to do with how warm the jacket is..rather than the thickness of the hide. I think a 3 oz should be good down to at least 40 degrees or a little less with a cotton liner. HH is also a great windbreaker. My heavy FQHH Highwayman lined with Alpaca wool lining is replaced with a shearling jacket if it gets much below freezing.

HD

grundletaint

New in Town
ok, so the overall warmth is more a factor of interior lining and the HH itself is mainly for durability and protection? maybe i'll just go with the FQ and cotton lining.

Well..if you don't want to layer underneath the jacket..then a regular shirt or T shirt with the FQHH should work with the cotton liner. However..I don't know how cold it gets where you are located.
HD

DJS Press

One of the Regulars
For what it's worth, here are some photos (taken this weekend) of my year-and-a-half old Highwayman. It's FQHH, and has the black cotton drill lining. The cotton drill seems like it will last a long, long time.

I've worn it in temperatures well below freezing, and it's probably comfortable into the low to mid 60's, give or take, depending on your level of activity. In other words, a pretty wide range of temperatures.

It's developing great grain on the sleeves and collar especially, but the cool thing is that I know it's only going to get better as time goes on.

My humble opinion is go for the 4 oz. heavy horsehide. Get ready for some work to break it in, but it's very satisfying. I do nothing other than wearing it hard, and taking the opportunity to get good and wet in a rainstorm when I can. It helps to soften the hide, bring out the grain, and since the hide is basically waterproof to begin with, you won't get soaked.

The main thing is to just get it on order.

djshwymanfront.jpg

djshwymanback.jpg

djshwymansleeve.jpg

djshwymansleeve2.jpg

djshwymancollar.jpg

jamespibworth@n

One of the Regulars
Having just bought a FQHH from Aero I would have to stress it is a HEAVY weight hide.

For the uninitiated it may take a bit of getting used to.

Its even thicker than my Lost Worlds A2, it may even be as thick as some of my shoes!

Having said that I think its uniqueness makes it more appealing, fantastic leather.

Which ever hide you choose I am sure you will be pleased and I’m sure it won’t be the only Aero Jacket you will ever buy.

James.

Faisalha9159

New in Town
FqHH

Bro, I would say definately go with the FQHH- the way it breaks in and begins to soften is amazing....and you know for a fact that it will simply just improve with age. Beleive me, I try and wear mine as much as possible and I am MORE than happy with the quality of FQHH, the way it looks and feels just oozes quality.

grundletaint

New in Town
i think i'm gonna go with the FQ. i think the way i was wording things earlier was a bit confusing, though, since i'm actually trying to figure out which one will be easier to wear in warmer weather (more of a factor than the cold), but it really seems like there won't be much of a difference as long as there's a cotton liner involved.

for those interested, here's a pic amanda sent of the MQ:

s1602(c).jpg

it looks good, but it's probably wise to go with the same configuration that drew me in to begin with (vintage black FQ), right?

Feltfan
This is one of the jackets that Aero once made for Levi....but not pre-aged...and with the Aero label. It has a nice satinlike(Nylon?) lining that I like very much.
I probably have pics of me wearing it. I'll try and find them.
HD

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
HoosierDaddy said:
Feltfan
This is one of the jackets that Aero once made for Levi....but not pre-aged...and with the Aero label. It has a nice satinlike(Nylon?) lining that I like very much.
I probably have pics of me wearing it. I'll try and find them.
HD
I'd really appreciate it if you posted those pix. I have a hard time
imagining how the 30s halfbelt rides, in particular.

I love a satin liner. But I understand they are significantly
warmer than the cotton twill Aero uses. Anyone have experience
with the comparison?

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I also live in Texas and bought an Aero Highwayman through Mark Moye several months ago. Unless you are a motorcycle rider, I would go with the medium weight HH rather than the heavier FQHH. I would also go with the cotton drill lining rather than one of the wool linings unless you live way north of Amarillo.

CBI

One Too Many
I live in Arkansas so I am close by. Go with the cooler one. There are so few months we can wear jackets as it is, buy the one you will actually wear more. All of the options look great. I have sold all of my heavier weight jackets since I never wear them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points