Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Steerhide

Mike D

Familiar Face
I ordered an aero Sheene fit jacket and am particularly interested in brown steerhide or brown FQHH. I have read several posts on steerhide stiffness. I would like comments from steerhide owner that have had their jacket for more than one year.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I've never heard anyone identify any real differences in stiffness between steer and horse, it comes down to graining and ageing. If you're talking about Aero's 4oz steer, that's a different, stouter beast and would take some serious patience breaking in.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
A couple years back, when it was discovered that the previous management had been sewing horse labels into steer jackets, it was the graining that was the give away, not the weight per say. If you search for the Aero trial thread and narrative on the Lounge, you'll be able to read more about it there.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Don't rule out Aero's Vicenza horsehide that looks great and drapes exceptionally well with very little break in required. If you go with anything else my advice would be brown FQHH. My two favorite jackets are my brown FQHH Teamster and russet Vicenza HH Sheene.

GraceNote13

One of the Regulars
My Aero Steerhide jacket is going on three years old, I've actually started preferring the steer hide over my other FQHH Aero's. The steer hide has a beautiful grain and once broken in is incredible, it's heavier and does take longer to break it though.

Mike D

Familiar Face
My Aero Steerhide jacket is going on three years old, I've actually started preferring the steer hide over my other FQHH Aero's. The steer hide has a beautiful grain and once broken in is incredible, it's heavier and does take longer to break it though.

Thats good to hear, i would love to see pics. The brown looks incredible from what iv'e seen in other pictures.
I'm just wondering if its the right decision for me because it will be be worn daily from October till June and i do not plan on buying another one.

I've read all these post on how its so stiff that you struggle to drive your car with it.

Last edited:

mendelboaz

One Too Many
I've had my Highwayman in brown 4oz steer for almost 1.5 years now, and though I haven't worn it any day, it is still stiff as heck when cold. Chromexcel leather softens up buttery smooth when warmed up by your body heat, but when unbroken and cold it gets extremely stiff. The jacket shows some lively grain at parts, but it's got a long way to go before being broken in.

Peacoat

Bartender
I have had my Aero Highwayman in steer for 7 or 8 years. It is a thicker and heavier hide than the Aero FQHH, and took longer to break in. It is fully broken in and comfortable to wear, but not as comfortable as the Aero FQHH jackets. I may be imagining it, but the FQHH seems to be stiffer in the cold temps. The graining on the steer is very different from the FQHH.

My favorite is the brown FQHH. That is a classic combination.

Mike D

Familiar Face
Thanks Peacoat, I think if only own one leather jacket it should be the classic one. Brown FQHH
An i do own a sweet Sterlingwear of Boston peacoat by the way. For the really cold Canadian winter days.

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
No Peacoat you aren’t imagining it the hide is stiffer in cold temperatures. My CXL steer and HH is always softer when warmed up. It’s the viscosity of the wax and oils in it.

According to Thurston Bros., steerhi
I may be imagining it, but the FQHH seems to be stiffer in the cold temps.

No, you're right, all the FQHH jackets that I've had were much more rigid at colder temperatures. Also, during the warmest summer days, these jackets were as soft and pliable as if made from lambskin.

If you are going for brown, the FQHH is the classic and really beautiful. If you are after a black jacket, I'd go with the Steerhide. Something about the black Steerhide makes it age more amazingly than the HH IMHO.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I don't think I'd go with something as heavy as steer for a slim fitting jacket like a Sheene personally
+1 and was the reason I selected the Vicenza HH for my Sheene that is IMO well worth the additional cost. PAWINEGUY probably has as much experience with Sheene/CR jackets than anyone here and hope that he will see this thread and comment regarding his experience with FQHH vs. Vicenza.

Mike D

Familiar Face
Here is the Sheene design i'm thinking of right now.
No shoulder gussets
No kidney panel
Antique brass zippers
Top left straight pocket
2 zippered hand warmer pockets
1 inside pocket
Buttoned cuffs, no zipper
Brown cxl fqhh
A back yoke like on the 1930's half belt.

and if this look wont work i'll either go for a 30's half belt or a cafe racer

Last edited:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Here is the Sheene design i'm thinking of right now.
No shoulder gussets
No kidney panel
Antique brass zippers
Top left straight pocket
2 zippered hand warmer pockets
1 inside pocket
Buttoned cuffs, no zipper
Brown cxl fqhh
A back yoke like on the 1930's half belt.

and if this look wont work i'll either go for a 30's half belt or a cafe racer
Looks like a decent plan that is pretty much the same as my Sheene with the exception of my russet Vecenza vs. your brown FQHH. Consider "no closure" for your inside pocket since a snap can show through to the outside. Keep in mind the patterns for the Sheene and Cafe Racer are the same except for the pointed collar on the Sheene vs. the mandarin collar on the CR. Both Sheene and CR designs are more "fitted" than that of the 1930's half belt.

Cyber Lip

Practically Family
The mix of elements you're describing could come out looking like a frankenjacket imo. The combo of pocket zips with button cuffs would be kind of odd, and then the 30's half belt yoke on the way the sheene/cafe racer is cut might not look right either. If I were you I'd decide which appealed to me more, MC or 30's halfbelt style, and go with that. If you just can't decide, how about 1 of each, one in black and one in brown?

Also, I don't know how you're built, but unless you have wide shoulders and a narrow waist I'd avoid the Sheene/cafe racer. If you want a cafe racer, consider their Board Racer. It has a less severe shoulder to waist ratio

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112