Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Steerhide

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I overlooked your "Buttoned cuffs, no zipper" notation and agree with Cyber Lip in that regard. The zippered sleeves are in the back and not noticeable. I much prefer zippered sleeves to button cuffs with this style jacket. The last picture is my Mulligan, based on a 1930's HB style, from the back to illustrate the more fitted look/feel of the Sheene over the latter.
2015-08-16 12.21.45 HDR.jpg

2015-08-18 14.51.25.jpg

2014-04-04 10.29.39.jpg

Mike D

Familiar Face
Thanks for your advice and the pics. I also agree, I like the sheene, the highwayman, and i like everything about the 30's half belt, cant have it all i guess I should pic a decade. 5'9"Chest is 42 inches, 38 inch belly and 33 inch waist, 177 pounds, 45 years old.

Last edited:

Mike D

Familiar Face
Fanch, i would have no problem wearing the sheene you have in Brown FQHH if thats the only jacket i could ever have. I really like that fit.

dan_t

Practically Family
Love the Sheene as I do prefer a fitted style.
Only additional input I can offer is to completely forget the inside pocket unless you really need one.
Yes they're handy, but the extra leather in the pocket surround is thick & will likely show through over time.
If I were ordering a new jacket from Aero, this would be my choice.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I failed to mention my Mulligan is made from brown jerky MWHH that doesn't have the soft hand nor the drape of the Vicenza. My brown FQHH Teamster actually has a softer hand and better drape than that of the Mulligan, although the FQHH is heavier than the MWHH.

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
When i get the fit jacket in a couple of days, i'll post pics for you to comment on.
All would look cool on my Norton

Nice rebuild. I had one over thirty years ago that I rebuilt in my living room. It wasn’t done as nicely as that though. But it was a bike I used every day in London until I changed it for a more practical if less characterful Honda.

Sockeye

One of the Regulars
Thanks for your advice and the pics. I also agree, I like the sheene, the highwayman, and i like everything about the 30's half belt, cant have it all i guess I should pic a decade. 5'9"Chest is 42 inches, 38 inch belly and 33 inch waist, 177 pounds, 45 years old.
My Vicenza Sheene is modeled after a cafe racer I purchased from another lounger. It has "0.5" added to each side from the armpits down." This translates into 2 inches of added circumference below the chest. I have similar measurements to you at 45.5" chest and 42" at the navel, and this with a 42 Sheene fits perfect. Im 5'11" and 195 lbs.

A word of caution though, the exact same measurements in Steerhide fits like about a 1/2 size smaller. The hide matters.

Sockeye

One of the Regulars
I overlooked your "Buttoned cuffs, no zipper" notation and agree with Cyber Lip in that regard. The zippered sleeves are in the back and not noticeable. I much prefer zippered sleeves to button cuffs with this style jacket. The last picture is my Mulligan, based on a 1930's HB style, from the back to illustrate the more fitted look/feel of the Sheene over the latter.
View attachment 39108
View attachment 39111
View attachment 39112
That's as nice an example of a sheene as I've seen here Fanch!

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Sockeye! I had 1" added to each side panel for a total of 2" added to the circumference of the torso. Had I added 1/2" to each side panel for a total of 1" added to the circumference of the torso, the Sheene would have been a more snug fit, although I could probably still zip up without any problem. For riding, the more snug fit might be preferable? The Sheene is by far my favorite jacket to grab on the fly from my closet and is unzipped most times.

2wheelgrplr

A-List Customer
That is such a nice motorcycle, Norton Commando 750 or 850 - one of my top dream bikes! Looking forward to pics in your new leather on this bike, hopefully in a few months?!

Mike D

Familiar Face
Thanks for the nice bike comments, it looks even better in person. IMO this bike is one of the original Cafe Racers. All parts from this rebuild are original Norton except for BSA handlebars.

Anyways, Carrie from Thurston sent me a size 42. Not worried about it since it's just a fit jacket. Should be here soon. I'm glad you guys are helping me out with this. The lesson I'm picking up from you guys is don't mess with an already good design.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I know you asked for people with steer hide jackets they had had for over a year, mines not quite that old yet but I found mine broke in MUCH faster than my FQHH jackets.

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
Second that. The CXL steer softens a lot quicker than the horse. Leaving aside the very heavy steer that Aero had, and maybe still has that by all accounts was like a suit of armour and took years to break in.

Mike D

Familiar Face
I'll have to quit this forum cold turkey from the fear of becoming addicted to leather jackets

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto