Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aftershave : That nostalgic true masculine smell!

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Hopefully, both the ladies and gents here will enjoy this thread for differing reasons (possibly because the fairer sex tend to naturally smell of 'sugar & spice,' and we guys generally do not! LoL).

So other than 'snails and puppy dog tails,' what else might we vintage gents smell of? Well the manly fav scents of vintage celebs such as Churchill; Bogie; Erroll Flynn and Howard Hughes, often wafting their odours across the floor of the South Sea's Club or the harbour at Monte Carlo, wooed many a fine maiden.

Funny how 70-years-on, classics seem to be as strong now as ever. The "base notes" for such gents as mentioned, are...

LEATHER: (now here, you ought to be thinking on the lines of fine burnished English saddles on your polo pony, or that favourite old cracked Chesterfield sofa nestling in your gentlemen's club)

TOBACCO: (close your eyes on Havanna Bay, as we're thinking of that warm, rich, musky cuban cigar scent that partners so perfectly with your vintage port, as it nestles in your palm).

Oh! that image of being in 'the club...' well hold it in your mind! Remember the logs smouldering on the fire, alongside the warm, smokey Scottish peat? well, we need to bottle that too!

So, where can we re-capture those nostalgic scents of yesteryear, as much at home in the White House or The House of Lords, as on a Kenyan Tea Plantation or Indian polo lawn...? Poise those pens ladies and gents, as here are a few of Paddy's Pointers...

Trumper's Spanish Leather, a real
deal, completely masculine frangrance!

"Oud Cuir D'Arabie" from Montale in Paris
http://www.parfums-montale.com/index.php?lien=2
Almost pure leather aroma, no sweeteners.

"Nostalgia" from Santa Maria Novella
http://www.lafcony.com/smn/about.htm
Formulated to commemorate an auto race, this smells like leather,
rubber and petroleum products. Reminds me of a garage or an auto
shop stocking vintage leather seated Bentleys or Fraser Nash. Sweeter than Cuir D'Arabie.

"Vintage Tabarome" from Creed
http://www.fragrancenow.com/fragrance_product.asp?brandID=1441
Said to be a favorite of Winston Churchill and Bogie, Mixture of leather and especially tobacco. Not cheap, but then you are worth it:)

And for the hair, there is a hair cream called BAY RUM (can get it in Boots Chemists in UK), that has the fragrance of leather and cinnamon, YUM..!! As tasty as it is, NOT for human consumption!!

There's my dollar's worth (or Queen's shilling for my UK pals!), enjoy :)

ITG

Call Me a Cab
PADDY said:
"Nostalgia" from Santa Maria Novella
http://www.lafcony.com/smn/about.htm
Formulated to commemorate an auto race, this smells like leather,
rubber and petroleum products. Reminds me of a garage or an auto
shop stocking vintage leather seated Bentleys or Fraser Nash. Sweeter than Cuir D'Arabie.
Hmmm, I don't know that that's how I'd want my guy smellin. My dad owned a gas station/mechanic shop when I was little. Not a smell I remember fondly.

"Vintage Tabarome" from Creed
http://www.fragrancenow.com/fragrance_product.asp?brandID=1441
Said to be a favorite of Winston Churchill and Bogie, Mixture of leather and especially tobacco. Not cheap, but then you are worth it:)
Hmmm, this sounds intriguing...are there places in the US that sell this...not for me to wear but to smell for curiosity's sake.

And for the hair, there is a hair cream called BAY RUM (can get it in Boots Chemists in UK), that has the fragrance of leather and cinnamon,
Another one I'd like to smell, errm, for curiosity's sake.

One of my favorite scents to smell on a guy is Safari for Men by Ralph Lauren. I wish computers had a scratch and sniff button (remember those scratch n stiff stickers back in the 80s?).

Marlowe

One of the Regulars
ITG said:
...One of my favorite scents to smell on a guy is Safari for Men by Ralph Lauren. I wish computers had a scratch and sniff button (remember those scratch n stiff stickers back in the 80s?).
Years ago, at work, there was a magazine laying around with one of those smelly ads in it for "Safari." I overheard one young lady tell another, "If a man came to me smelling like that I would tear him down." A great recommendation, and I've been wearing it ever since. My other two favorites are "Kouros" (Yves St. Laurent) and good old "Old Spice." On more than one occasion I've heard very accomplished, attractive, successful women discussing the merits of different mens' fragrances and, when asked which is their favorite, they always get this goofy, slightly embarrassed grin on their faces and say, "'Old Spice'--that's what Daddy wore." I decided not to fight Daddy...

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Make you own masculine fragrance...

Try it yourself using pure essential oils and an alcohol or vegetable oil base-

Most expensive fragrances actually use a lot of synthetic aroma products, contrary to what you'd think...

Pure Essential oils (the absolutely natural concentrated plant and flower oils commomly used diluted in aromatherapy) can be obtained from many sources.
I used to work for a purvetor of such products in London-
G. Baldwin&Co. www.baldwins.co.uk - the company is actually a "Medical Herbalist" dating back to 1844. Along with these oils, they sell raw materials for natural cosmetics, incense, soap making, dried medicinal herbs and a long line of vegetable oils for massage or what have you- as well as health supplements, etc. Even the oils and waxes you need to make animalfree leather dressing and boot polish!
You can order a free catalogue and see for yourselves, it's updated frequently.

Baldwins are long established, have an extensive selection and good prices, especially if you're looking for high quality essential oils- I can vouch for the purity and quality. They probably have the most complete selection anywhere.

Base notes for a mens fragrance are usually the deep, woody, spicy fragrances- sandalwood, cedarwood(smells like cedar! or pencil shavings), vetivert, valerian root, ginger, cinnamon, ginger, myrrh, frankinsence, patchouli, balsam of peru, benzoin resinoid, tolu balsam.
To this you can add middle and top notes, such as- juniper, bay, nutmeg,mint. lime, lemon, bergamot, neroli, rose, geranium, black pepper etc...

Baldwins sell Caribbean Bay Rum too Paddy.

It takes a fine nose, some experience and fiddling to get something that smells good but it's a fun and rewarding journey.
BT.

Slicksuit

One of the Regulars
Belly-tank:
When making your own scents, what do you use as the solvent yourself? Does alchohol or vegetable oil work best? I'm thinking of using alchohol, but can I use regular rubbing alcohol from the drug store?

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Marlowe said:
Years ago, at work, there was a magazine laying around with one of those smelly ads in it for "Safari." I overheard one young lady tell another, "If a man came to me smelling like that I would tear him down." A great recommendation, and I've been wearing it ever since.
Haha! Seems she and I have something to agree about. Yes, Safari could easily be a woman's weakness.

My other two favorites are "Kouros" (Yves St. Laurent) and good old "Old Spice." On more thatn one occasion I've heard very accomplished, attractive, successful women discussing the merits of different mens' fragrances and, when asked which is their favorite, they always get this goofy, slightly embarrassed look on their faces and say, "'Old Spice'--that's what Daddy wore." I decided not to fight Daddy...
Can you believe I've never smelled Old Spice?

The Wingnut

One Too Many
I'll add to the consensus for Ralph Lauren's Safari. I actually use that on my face(including a bit behind the ears...you never know...), and Old Spice on my hands, wrists, and chest. I find that body heat will activate the fragrance, and it's nice to be able to leave a pleasant scent on someone's hand if you shake it or just come in contact. I find this to be especially true after having gone dancing...the many fragrances of my follows will be on my hands. It's also better to smell like Old Spice and a little sweat than your deodorant and a little sweat.

Marlowe

One of the Regulars
ITG said:
Can you believe I've never smelled Old Spice?
Upon reading that, a lot of smart remarks along the lines of, "Don't get discouraged. You might get lucky. You might come across me!" sprang to mind. Fortunately for us all, I'm much too well-bred to say them...

Michaelson

One Too Many
Got to admit, Old Spice or Aqua Velva was about ALL you smelled on men (that, and Brillcream) when I was growing up in the 50's and 60's. I still use my Dad's old 1940's Old spice shaving mug, and have since I started shaving so many decades ago. Regards. Michaelson

Mycroft

One Too Many
On the lines of good smelling faces, I am trying to make good smelling breath mints...any info I can use. Also, is there a resipe for a basic aftershave I can make, because I am allegic to them for the most part?

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
An "Old Spice" moment...

Mmmm, that ol' devil called "Old Spice" is hard to beat, and for the price, it's a cheap, devillish scented vintage perfume! I'll just 'splash it all over!' and listen out for those crashing waves (remember those old ads!)

Elmonteman

One of the Regulars
Creed, Montale, Santa Maria.....

Thanks Paddy. Those were great suggestions. But if you do spring for one of these classic scents what do you suggest to complete the package? That is what deodorant would you use? I don't think any of these products that you mention have a matching deodorant. Does "Old Spice High Endurance" blend well with any of these? Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112