Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aftershave : That nostalgic true masculine smell!

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
My all-time favorite is the spanish Floïd. Sometimes I use the italian Floïd or Pinaud's Eau de Quinine instead. Usually I don't use the Eau de Quinine as a hair tonic or aftershave but as a scent.

Earl Needham

Familiar Face
Old Spice Original - though it seems to me that the formulation has changed somewhat. I bought a new bottle awhile back and the scent doesn't seem as "rich" (for lack of a better word) has anyone else noticed this?

Yes, Old Spice has changed a bit over the years, most noticeably since no longer made by Shulton.

I have a rotation but my favorites in no particular order are:

Pinaud Bay Rum
Aqua Velva
English Leather

Also in the cabinet are:
Old Spice
Poraso
Tabac

+1 for Tabac -- the soap, the cream, the stick, and the aftershave!

Alex Oviatt

Practically Family
Elsha_Scented_Salamander.jpg
[/IMG]

Channelling my inner Tom Rath with Elsha today. Russian Leather cologne straight from the 40s/50s. Hard to find but worth it.

99benzman

New in Town
This is my favorite combo. I love the old time barbershop smell I used to smell when I went with my grandaddy to get my haircut. Shave secret is the best shave product I have ever used. I spent a lot of money on speciality fancy shave creams and lotions and this by far is the best. http://www.shavesecret.com/
As for the Pinaud products, what can I say simply classic.

IMG_0550.jpg

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
...I have been using Ogallala Bay Rum.
Hi

I bought the sampler of Ogallala Bay Rums. I don't like them, they don't smell as good as the Pinaud Bay Rum. I read somewhere that they have Witch Hazel in it, and I don't like it apparently.

I'm also wearing Aramis that I bought in High School (1975).

Later

I Adore Film Noir

A-List Customer
Hi

I bought the sampler of Ogallala Bay Rums. I don't like them, they don't smell as good as the Pinaud Bay Rum. I read somewhere that they have Witch Hazel in it, and I don't like it apparently.

Later

Aramis, hmmm? Come sit by me :).

Alex Oviatt

Practically Family
My dad was a Dapper Man. He was a very sharp dresser and he smelled of Brut and Vitalis......

Great, classic combination of smells. Whenever I think of Vitalis I think of Holden Caulfield's roommate: "Old Stradlater was putting Vitalis in his hair. MY Vitalis...."

Kirk H.

One Too Many
Hi

Later

Hi

Yes it does have witch hazel in it and that makes it different from other Bay Rums I have or have tried. I tried the Pinaud Bay Rum before, but for some reason it did not work out well. I did not like the scent, but in fairness I have smelled some of the newer Pinuads and need to give it a try again. I do the like the Pinaud Clubman and like others it brings back memories of trips to the barbershop. The other Bay Rum that I have and like a lot is the Dominica Bay Rum. It comes in a nice vintage brown bottle with a cork stopper.

Kirk

Alex Oviatt

Practically Family
Hi John, I realize I'm playing Dr. Froonkensteen (Young Frankenstein) and reviving the dead, but how long does the citrusy smell of Florida Water last?

Does anyone have any experience with the Royall Orange?

Thanks

I think that it is actually called Royall Mandarine--is very nice and lasts a reasonably long time given that it is an aftershave and not cologne. Creed's Orange Spice is great and lasts a long time although it is several times the cost of Royall Mandarine.

1961MJS

Hi

I bought the Royall Mandarin, and like it. It smells like oranges, but it doesn't last as well as Aramis does. The Dominican Lime By Rum is good, but is also a little on the light side. I haven't found a balance between long lasting scent and an overwhelming scent. I purchased both through Amazon, and they both showed up unbroken, which appears to have been a problem at times.

later

SteveAS

Practically Family
I find Royall Muske is a good scent that isn't overwhelming and lasts pretty well. In Bay Rum, Dominicana's regular seems to outlast the lime for some reason.

1961MJS

Hi

I've been using Pinaud Citrus Musk this spring also. It doesn't last that well either. I wonder what they used to use back in the 1980's that made the scent last longer. When I use the Aramis, I smell it ALL DAY.

later

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ