Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aftershave : That nostalgic true masculine smell!

suits lover

A-List Customer
For me Old Spice is my favourite one. I also love very much Skin bracer, Aqua Velva and Pinaud Clubman. All classic smell that smell great and perform well as a after-shave for fighting razor burn.

Alex Oviatt

Practically Family
Now that summer is in full swing here in So Cal, I think that refreshing old school scents like Guerlain's Eau de Cologne Imperiale, Trumper's Limes (ditto Floris, Royall, etc.) and newer classics like Hermes' Eau de Verte Orange are great options to stay cool, crisp and smelling good in the heat. My personal warm weather favorite is a newish (compared to Imperiale!) scent by Floris called JF after the founder Juan Floris.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I tend to swap between Taylor of Old Bond Street's Eton College cologne and Crabtree and Evelyn's Nomad. Both nice scents but the Taylor's offering is my (and my wife's) fave.

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
Me and a colleague often buy 'el cheapo productions' aftershaves etc whilst out and about in our jobs in cheap shops/chemists etc...they sit on our desks in "testosterone corner" ready for use on hot and smelly days, currently have Old Spice, Mandate, Brut33(all the ladies favourite!), thinking of getting a bottle of ' Sex Panther'....my colleague was once given a bottle of Bosun as a leaving present by an old lady client of his, and seriously the ladies go wild for it, he 's down to the last few drops and saves it for those extra special occassions!!!
At home I use Black x cess or Million, the xcess smells of strawberries to me and the daughter steals some everytime she visits.

motorpsycho67

Familiar Face
I rarely wear aftershave, but I'll ocassionally throw on some lilac water. I'd like to try Royall Bermuda Lyme, but I hear it's not that good since they changed the formula.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
St. John's West Indian Lime smells great after a shave and especially when the temperature is high.

HI Feraud

I ordered the sampler pack and liked the Cutlass the best. I have the Dominican Bay Rum Lime and it's good but doesn't last very well. The Royall Mandarin doesn't last either. I have the Pinaud Citrus Musk (kind of limey) on and it's pretty good, but none of it lasts on me like my 1980's Aramis.

Later

Feraud

Bartender
I considered ordering a St. John's sample pack. Does any aftershave last very long? I want to reek of aftershave all day but haven't found the stuff. Maybe I need to lower my sights and use Axe bodyspray.

1961MJS

I considered ordering a St. John's sample pack. Does any aftershave last very long? I want to reek of aftershave all day but haven't found the stuff. Maybe I need to lower my sights and use Axe bodyspray.

Hi, PERSONALLY, I think I'd order one bottle of a type you think you'd like. The sample packs are the small tubes like they give out at the Department stores. It's good to work out if you like the fragrance, but not to work out if it stays long enough. I've also tried the Osage Bay Rum group and they all smell of Witch Hazel (I think) and I don't like it that well. The St. John's Bay Rum is supposed to be good, and the sample smelled pretty good. For Bay Rum, I like the Pinaud pretty well.

Later

Guttersnipe

One Too Many

Most aftershaves aren't concentrated enough to last all day, although, the "grandpa" brands seem to last better (I find Old Spice, English Leather, Pinaud, etc last really well). Baring that, Eau de Colognes are what you need.

1961MJS

Hi

I have a 4 ounce St. John's Bay Rum, and an 8 ounce Cutlass from them. Both smell good, but neither last all that long. The 1970's era Aramis still lasts the best. I also have new English Leather, but I don't like it that well.

Later

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
Hi

I have a 4 ounce St. John's Bay Rum, and an 8 ounce Cutlass from them. Both smell good, but neither last all that long. The 1970's era Aramis still lasts the best. I also have new English Leather, but I don't like it that well.

Later

I've found that bay rums, whether cheap or expensive, never have much staying power. There are two factors that give a scented product staying power: the concentration of aromatic compounds/oils and the amount of fixative. The reason that bay rums don't last is that they are almost exclusively aftershaves (less than 3% concentration of aromatics/essence oils, with very small amounts of fixative), rather than Eau du Cologne (3 - 8% concentration ), Eau du Toilette (5 - 15% concentration ) or Eau de Parfum (10 - 20% concentration). If someone were to make an Eau du Parfum bay rum, I'd buy that immediately!

My Grandpa always wore English Leather, so I have a fondness for the brand, but the actual scent of the product today is nothing like what I remember from when I was a kid. According to the internet, it's been reformulated, which would explain a lot.

Albert.Tatlock

Familiar Face
Mont ST Michael "AMBREE" is nice on the bottle it says since 1920. not sure if that is when the company started or what, but it is very reasonably priced 1312-1541-thickbox.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto