Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Bushman

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
We have a seperate thread for the Campdraft and the Squatter and I know there are folks who own and wear the Bushman so here's a thread for it. I know it's not "the" Akubra here on the Forum and one doesn't have to do the approved 3 month "Aussie wait" to get it but it is one of my favorite Akubra's and I'm sure there are other closet Bushman wearers out there so this thread is for them :) Here's my newest bought about 4 years ago

Bushman1-1.jpg

Bushman1.jpg

Let's see 'em :)

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Nice! Is that a snap brim? Looks quite close to the Campdraft in style,though without the wind trolley.

Mine is snapped down yes but you can put it down, up roll it at the sides however you want to shape it. Another way of saying it is the Campdraft is quite close to the Bushman in style:)

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Does anyone have both that can do a side by side comparison? I have seen these pictures before, and I always want to get one, and I am just curious how it compares to the CD, which I also want.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Does anyone have both that can do a side by side comparison? I have seen these pictures before, and I always want to get one, and I am just curious how it compares to the CD, which I also want.

The CD has a taller crown (by about 3/8+" ) but its brim is about 3/8" smaller ( Bushman has a 3 1/4" brim) Other than that and the fact the Bushman is available in only one color they are similar.

Sam Craig

One Too Many
A Campdraft is a Bushman-lite.

"I came all the way around the world to visit your Australian hat store and ALL you can offer me is a lite Bushman?"

If you like a Campdraft, you will love a Bushman IMHO!

The only drawback to the Bushman is the lack of choices in color.

Let's work on that, why don't we?

Just sayin' ...

Sam

Duper

Practically Family
I like the look of the Bushman, but unfortunately I don't think brims wider than the CampDraft suit my narrow face. That 1/4" does make a difference. It would be nice to see the side by side images that Yeps has suggested.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I like the look of the Bushman, but unfortunately I don't think brims wider than the CampDraft suit my narrow face. That 1/4" does make a difference. It would be nice to see the side by side images that Yeps has suggested.

Here's a pic from a previous post by a member to show the colors of three Akubra's which shows a CD ( on the right front) next to a Bushman (on the left front) with a Cattleman in the back. BTW, it is a VERY good representation of the true color of the Bushman. :)

Hats1of11.jpg

Last edited:

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Down the road, I am seriously considering getting a second Bushman just so I can keep one for dress ... snap brim ... and set another up in a more outdoorsy, perhaps even "western" design.

Years ago I did some mission work in Honduras and during three trips down there, I wore a neat old Open Road that had seen its share of abuse before I found it. I had shaped the crown into a "gus" crease and did a sort of relaxed pencil roll in the brim. It made a very comfortable and casual hat that got a lot of attention from the caballeros down there.

I think it would be neat to do something along those lines with a Bushman and maybe for with one of the braided leather hat bands in place of the ribbon.

I believe it would be a great looking hat and probably a lot of fun to just grab on the way out of the door, because I'd bet it would go with just about everything!

Sam

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Down the road, I am seriously considering getting a second Bushman just so I can keep one for dress ... snap brim ... and set another up in a more outdoorsy, perhaps even "western" design.

Years ago I did some mission work in Honduras and during three trips down there, I wore a neat old Open Road that had seen its share of abuse before I found it. I had shaped the crown into a "gus" crease and did a sort of relaxed pencil roll in the brim. It made a very comfortable and casual hat that got a lot of attention from the caballeros down there.

I think it would be neat to do something along those lines with a Bushman and maybe for with one of the braided leather hat bands in place of the ribbon.

I believe it would be a great looking hat and probably a lot of fun to just grab on the way out of the door, because I'd bet it would go with just about everything!

Sam

Along these lines? Here's a pic from DM's site showing what you may be describing?

836_1606_lg61.jpg

Nice thing about the Bushman's brim size is it allows you a LOT of variety to play with :)

frussell

One Too Many
I like the dimensions of the Bushman, color is not my favorite, but it's not bad. My only problem with it, and other D.M. offerings is the grommets. I just can't stand grommets on a felt hat. Just a personal preference, and one that has kept me from buying more hats from David Morgan. For me, grommets belong on a straw western, or on a "boonie" or bucket hat. I'm sure they would make the hat cooler to wear here in the desert, but I just can't get over my dislike of seeing a grommet in the middle of a nice piece of felt. Frank

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I like the dimensions of the Bushman, color is not my favorite, but it's not bad. My only problem with it, and other D.M. offerings is the grommets. I just can't stand grommets on a felt hat. Just a personal preference, and one that has kept me from buying more hats from David Morgan. For me, grommets belong on a straw western, or on a "boonie" or bucket hat. I'm sure they would make the hat cooler to wear here in the desert, but I just can't get over my dislike of seeing a grommet in the middle of a nice piece of felt. Frank
To bad your missing out on some GREAT hats. Besides, I've never seen my "grommets" when I wear my hats so it doesn't bother me, in fact I don't notice them at all even when they are off my head and they are really NOT the same size as the vent grommets on as are on my Cattleman since they are the fastening end for the chinstrap hooks up inside. To each his own :)

Tone

A-List Customer
They're chinstrap grommets for riders not ventilation grommets as are placed on the middle of the crowns on Akubra's other models. Still, a nice hat. Was disappointed when the Akubra Federation IV had been improved back in 2008 from the original Akubra Federation III's Campdraft block to the better proportioned DM Bushman block, only to find that the decided brim specs chosen to be used on the FED IV weren't very well thought out in consideration for the Bushman's crown.

The authentic DM Bushman is a great-looking hat but it really DOES need some more color choices for those who like the specs of the original Bushman, though. Beautiful hat; just not enough color choices. If Akubra ever went the route of offering the Bushman in a variety of colors (okay, sure, without the grommet, too) there'd be A LOT of happy hat owners out there!

Last edited:

frussell

One Too Many
Yeah, I know what the grommets are for. I'm a rider, from a long family of horsemen, and fairly capable of reading the info on the DM website, so that's not exactly a news flash. Just don't like the look of them on such a great looking hat. Still not sure why DM insists on also having the chin strap grommets on the Squatter. I know it's a "town and country hat," but it ruined the look of the one I owned briefly for me, and I sold it within a week. Grommets plus medium to wide ribbon just seem odd, no matter what their function, especially when they only show on one side, but you can clearly see the bulge in the ribbon on the side that's covered. I know it's a strange thing to focus on, but it's kept me from making more DM purchases. Frank

Tone

A-List Customer
Knowing what they're there for there's probably no real reason to focus on them so much then. Especially considering that any moderate-sized ribbon will cover those up instantly. Still, maybe it's just in knowing they're there at all that throws some people - yeah, it'd be good to have a version without them, too; but overall, and for those who know a ribbon change is quick and easy, the chinstrap grommets that low on the crown aren't really a factor: though, I can see how it would bug some people with a vision of all felt instead.

If I hadn't bought a Bushman all those years ago, I'd probably be buying a bunch of Campdrafts and Feds trying to find the perfect looking Akubra this whole time, too. Chose well the first time. ;-)

Last edited:

Sam Craig

One Too Many
I WAS wearing my black Squatter today, but I was shocked -- SHOCKED I SAY -- to discover there really WAS a grommet bulge under the ribbon.
I immediately removed the hat and burned it at the stake.
No grommet bulge for me!

I also discovered an uneven number of puckers on my loafer, a button loose on my Hawaiian shirt and a wrinkle in my twill slacks ... had to burn them also.
So now I am sitting here at work ... in the nude ... typing away!

I haven't even figured out why I would WANT a chinstrap on either my Squatter or my Bushman, but I don't really care. I just really like them all.
My gray Squatter has become my favorite wear-to-church hat, though I have a brown one on the way and I am sure I'll like it too.

I am still planning on doing the Western job on a second Bushman later. I'm watching for a great woven horsehair band.

And I am planning to have a wider ribbon on my "dressy" Bushman, just to make it even more special.

But now all my plans will have to be deserted due to grommet bulge.

My live is over ...

Sam

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Yeah, I know what the grommets are for. I'm a rider, from a long family of horsemen, and fairly capable of reading the info on the DM website, so that's not exactly a news flash. Just don't like the look of them on such a great looking hat. Still not sure why DM insists on also having the chin strap grommets on the Squatter. I know it's a "town and country hat," but it ruined the look of the one I owned briefly for me, and I sold it within a week. Grommets plus medium to wide ribbon just seem odd, no matter what their function, especially when they only show on one side, but you can clearly see the bulge in the ribbon on the side that's covered. I know it's a strange thing to focus on, but it's kept me from making more DM purchases. Frank

I did not realize how REALY BAD this is in the TRUE scope of how a hat should be. I'm so glad you have opened my eyes to this MAJOR problem with the Bushman and ALL hats that DM sells. I will fall in line with the APPROVED mind set and promise to NEVER wear ANY of my Akubra's from DM again! Thanks for setting me straight in this matter.

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Frussell was simply stating his own personal reason for not purchasing a Bushman. He mentioned only one detraction...the sarcasm and defensive posture of some of the posters here seems thoroughly unjustified.

That said, has anyone attached a chin strap to a Bushman? I'm thinking about getting one later on this year, and the chinstrap is very appealing to me when the cold winds start picking up. I'd like to know how reliable the attachment method on these DM grommet-style hats is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto